Strange Incident Last Night at Soi Cowboy

Eleutherios

Curious about other members take on this incident.  I went to a bar at Soi Cowboy last night, one of the less expensive ones with low bar fines at the Asoke end of the Soi, and started chatting with one of the girls that worked there.  I thought she was hot and we hit if off.  I bought an expensive beer, Erdinger (takes a while to drink the big glasses), and bought her maybe one or two drinks.  After finishing the first beer, she asked if I would bar fine her. I did.  The bar fine was a low, by current standards, at 600 Baht. 

After paying the bar fine, I bought another beer and bought her and her friends several drinks. I didn't keep track, but figured with two expensive beers and expensive lady drinks, the tab must be over 1,500 Baht.  She took off saying she had to talk to friend.  When she didn't return, I complained to a waitress.  My girl returned.  She said would meet me after the bar closed (about two hours later).  She said a friend had returned and she need to talk to "him".  I said no, and that I wanted to go now. I also didn't want to rack up another couple thousand Baht in drinks and get really drunk.  She said I could meet her "tomorrow afternoon".  I said no, I wanted to go now.  She said she couldn't go because "a friend" was visiting her and I had to wait.  She said, in front of the bar staff, "OK, I refund bar fine".

Now at this point the bar fine was only 600 Baht, and it must have been much smaller than the bar tab.  One waitress glanced at the tabs, and said "you pay check".  I said; "no and she can keep the bar fine; I am out of here".  And with that, and no further drama, I simply walked out.  Didn't pay the bar tab and didn't get the bar fine back.  No one tried to stop me from leaving, no one chased me or no one even seemed to follow me (yes, I looked back).  The bar was at the Asoke end of the Soi Cowboy, and I simply walked down to the MRT station.

Questions:

1.   Is there anyway for the bar to track me down and create problems.  I am on PR status and think I flashed my pink PR card (not the actual booklet), but not sure. Even if I did, it was dark and quick (yes, I now realize that is not a bright move).  Is there CCTV camera footage that might have my image?  Incidentally, when we were on friendly terms after I bar fined her, I did take her picture and phone number and created a contact, but never called her.  In other words, she doesn't have my phone number, but I have her picture.  (Not sure if this at all relevant)

2.   Was I in the right?  Yes, this matters to me.  Should I have paid the big bar tab after she offered to refund the bar fine?  Doesn't seem right to me since I would not have run up such a large tab, but for paying the bar find and assuming we would be heading off.

3.   Will she end up paying the bar tab?  That seems like the right result since most of the bar tab was incurred after I bar fined her and I though would have some night that fun.  Instead, I went straight home.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BestB said:

Just a silly question but why did you flash your pink card? And since when pink cards became PR?

and yes most likely she would have to cover the bill

I flashed the card because I was drunk.  Dumb move.  PR status is reflected in a booklet, but they will also give you a pink card (I think you can also get one with a business visa).  So the pink card could reflect I have PR status or a one year visa (not sure).

So, you think she will cover the bill?  She complained, but it didn't turn into an ugly scene.  Maybe she realized she was in the wrong?  Not sure.  No problems when I simply announced I was walking out of the bar and did so, but they seemed surprised and caught off guard, like they were expecting a bigger fuss.

Another "newbie" with a dramatic story !

1) If there's money involved, they will track you down.

2) No, you were wrong, it is theft.

3) It is not the right result, you ordered the drinks, and should have payed for them.

As you know the goings on in these establishments, and still choose to visit them, I can't see you getting much sympathy on here, 

2.   Was I in the right?  Yes, this matters to me.  Should I have paid the big bar tab after she offered to refund the bar fine?  Doesn't seem right to me since I would not have run up such a large tab, but for paying the bar find and assuming we would be heading off.

You are in the wrong.

Even when you've paid bar-fine and she didn't want to come with you, you should respect that.

You've ordered drinks and it doesn't matter if it seems right to you, or not. You should have taken the 600 baht and paid the bill.

1 minute ago, Eleutherios said:

I flashed the card because I was drunk.  Dumb move.  PR status is reflected in a booklet, but they will also give you a pink card (I think you can also get one with a business visa).  So the pink card could reflect I have PR status or a one year visa (not sure).

So, you think she will cover the bill?  She complained, but it didn't turn into an ugly scene.  Maybe she realized she was in the wrong?  Not sure.  No problems when I simply announced I was walking out of the bar and did so, but they seemed surprised and caught off guard, like they were expecting a bigger fuss.

Who do you think will cover the bill?

You think she realised she was in the wrong ? When did you know a bar girl admitting she is wrong ?

And yes you were wrong. You should have paid the bill but got your bar fine refunded

1 minute ago, Thaiwrath said:

3) It is not the right result, you ordered the drinks, and should have payed for them.

As you know the goings on in these establishments, and still choose to visit them, I can't see you getting much sympathy on here, 

Not looking for sympathy, and appreciate, but not sure if I agree with your views.  I  On a more practical level, how will they track me down?

3 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

What is the “bar fine” the girl has to pay at the beginning ! I thought the fine was for when the hooker leaves the bar with a “customer “ and so not working

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This was the bar fine that is paid after a few drinks.  I wanted to finish a second beer and leave.  She wanted a few drinks and a few of her friends to get drinks.  I figured that when that was over, we would leave.  Instead, she took off to talk to a new friend.

Not looking for sympathy, and appreciate, but not sure if I agree with your views.  I  On a more practical level, how will they track me down?

While you were flashing your pink card, did you also tell

her where you staying ? That is how.

Though personally I do not think they will bother to attract attention but  I would not return to Cowboy ever again if I were you 

Cameras  and some people who all witnessed the same, perhaps? 

The reason why you're asking here's clearly that you don't feel good about your free drinks, do you?

If I were you I'd be very careful in the future, that's really a bad idea to act like a thief. And that's exactly what you've done. 

Nobody cares about your feelings that the woman didn't come with you. They make their money that way and such a business is always somehow protected. 

8 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Yes another newbie with a fantastic story, getting boring reading them.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

How in hell would we know if there is CCTV footage of you ?

You would not.  I am just wondering if there is typically CCTV in bars and on Soi Cowboy near Asoke that the bar could access if they really decide to "track me down".   That is why I asked.  

This was the bar fine that is paid after a few drinks.  I wanted to finish a second beer and leave.  She wanted a few drinks and a few of her friends to get drinks.  I figured that when that was over, we would leave.  Instead, she took off to talk to a new friend.

sounds like her "boyfriend" turned up and she had to act like she not "working" until she could shoo him out then get back over to you..

next time.. pay the bar fine when you are leaving with your tab. if is she refuses to leave, it will be easy to get a refund (barfine) and more importantly a good nights sleep ????

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

While you were flashing your pink card, did you also tell

her where you staying ? That is how.

Though personally I do not think they will bother to attract attention but  I would not return to Cowboy ever again if I were you 

I mentioned the street, but nothing more specific.  Many farangs here.

You racked up a sizable bill at a place of business and walked out without paying. That makes you a thief.  The prattle about the price of the prostitute is irrelevant.

I would suggest you return as soon as possible, apologize citing drunkenness and pay what you owe.

Stay away from cowboy, at least for a month ......

advice from a veteran. It ain't the girl who will be the issue, it'll be the bar. If you want to return, then go straight to the bar in question and pay the tab.It'll be smiles all round.

Ahh what fun

I am going to go out on a limb here. I think you should not go back to soi cowboy for awhile. Give it a rest. Maybe next trip.

And remember something, you could have been beaten up by 5 bouncers. The guys that come up behind you with a metal pipe. You got off cheap. No telling what will happen next time, if you repeat this behavior. I would like to think you learned something and would be smarter next time. However likely just my optimistic cultural values getting the better of correct judgement.

13 minutes ago, Eleutherios said:

The pink card is issued to foreigners holding many different visas and is not exclusive to PR holders and it doesn't say (in Thai language) another about PR.

Perhaps more to the point a bar girl or bar manager are unlikely to understand what the card is / who holds the card etc.

Just now, LomSak27 said:

Ahh what fun

I am going to go out on a limb here. I think you should not go back to soi cowboy for awhile. Give it a rest. Maybe next trip.

And remember something, you could have been beaten up by 5 bouncers. The guys that come up behind you with a metal pipe. You got off cheap. No telling what will happen next time, if you repeat this behavior. I would like to think you learned something and would be smarter next time. However likely just my optimistic cultural values getting the better of correct judgement.

I live here, but point taken about avoiding Soi Cowboy. 

Just now, Phuketshrew said:
Just now, Old Croc said:

I would suggest you return as soon as possible, apologize citing drunkenness and pay what you owe.

Spot on.

Or they will beat you to within an inch of your life ... :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Eleutherios said:

I live here, but point taken about avoiding Soi Cowboy. 

Old Croc post #18 has the correct answer. You bought drinks, go back when they open today and pay for the drinks.  

26 minutes ago, Eleutherios said:
32 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

How in hell would we know if there is CCTV footage of you ?

You would not.  I am just wondering if there is typically CCTV in bars and on Soi Cowboy near Asoke that the bar could access if they really decide to "track me down".   That is why I asked.  

In Pattaya there are regulations that GoGo Bars (at least) must have CCTV, and are (were?) inspected to ensure they comply. Can't remember if it was a 'national' or 'local' regulation though.

Archived