Strange Incident Last Night at Soi Cowboy

Eleutherios

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, BestB said:

Who do you think will cover the bill?

You think she realised she was in the wrong ? When did you know a bar girl admitting she is wrong ?

And yes you were wrong. You should have paid the bill but got your bar fine refunded

Only pay the bar fine immediately before leaving the bar .

OP, I can sort of see where you are coming from - you racked up a bill AFTER the girl had agreed to go out and AFTER you had paid bar.  You are agrieved because you would not have bought those drinks if the girl had refused to go out. You probably wouldn't have got anywhere but you'd have been better to argue your case with the mamasan.

I'd have been pretty pissed off in those circumstances but remember where you are and who you are dealing with - some things you just have to put down to experience - there's no such thing as consumer rights on Cowboy.

34 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

CCTV footage.....

39 minutes ago, Eleutherios said:

typically CCTV in bars

A good guess would be yes. Lately, It has turned into a universal problem solving tool . In a few recent cases people have been tracked back to their own doorsteps depending on the seriousness of the crime.

I'm not trying to get you sweating here just be aware that cctv could be anywhere. There's been a lot of shaming and naming in the news via facebook and the regular news media. 

Predicting your future here is your concern so I can't add anything else of value .....

You should go back to the bar ASAP and square your bill, you should also seek out the girl and offer to marry her, offer a decent sin sot to her parents and face will be restored all round!

Having now read this whole sordid thread, and never having been in a situation needing payment of a bar fine, I see this picture.

The girl was probably never available to go "out". I think the whole episode was about selling lady drinks. You got set up for a big bar bill. Maybe the plan was to get you drunk enough that you would take a piss pass on the date.

And the boyfriend angle even reinforces my theory, IMO.

But I do agree with some others. Own the situation and go back close to opening one day soon and pay the tab. Then you're free to roam in the future, as a wiser man.

How can someone with PR, meaning you must have lived here for a while, be so ignorant.

Paying the bar fine and then staying on for more drinks is not unusual. But she reneged on this "contract" - so she agrees to give you your money back, which you should have taken. More fool you.

Take the advice of other posters - kiss the 600 goodbye, pay your tab (suggest you get a friend to do this) and then don't show your face in Cowboy for a long time. The girls in Cowboy often move from bar to bar, so you run the risk of being seen in another bar - and you won't be forgotten if the girl (and her friends) feel she has lost face.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

How in hell would we know if there is CCTV footage of you ?

I am hacking into their server right now.

OK. I see him. Clear as a bell. Yikes, she is not really that hot.  

17 minutes ago, Seth1a2a said:

A good guess would be yes. Lately, It has turned into a universal problem solving tool . In a few recent cases people have been tracked back to their own doorsteps depending on the seriousness of the crime.

I'm not trying to get you sweating here just be aware that cctv could be anywhere. There's been a lot of shaming and naming in the news via facebook and the regular news media. 

Predicting your future here is your concern so I can't add anything else of value .....

this is why i always carry a hoodie.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Old Croc post #18 has the correct answer. You bought drinks, go back when they open today and pay for the drinks.  

Take in sufficient money to cover the unpaid bar bill (obviously) but not much else. In a not dissimilar situation in the same location, I have seen the roving security grab the wallet, empty it, return 20 Baht and warn the customer not to be seen there again. 

You would have had a problem just after trying to exit the bar. All they have to do is yell farang runner and then Thai guys or girls would be on you like flies on garbage. This is the norm here so forget about the cc tv theory. So don't worry about it, but do not go into that bar again, and maybe enter from the other direction for some time.

Story on TV tomorrow:

"Police Locate Cheap Charlie Farang Who Skips Out On Bar Tab."

"Police arrested (your full name here) at his (your address here). (Photo of you in handcuffs at press conference) (Girl dressed like a nun pointing at you.)"  

34 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

OP, I can sort of see where you are coming from - you racked up a bill AFTER the girl had agreed to go out and AFTER you had paid bar.  You are agrieved because you would not have bought those drinks if the girl had refused to go out. You probably wouldn't have got anywhere but you'd have been better to argue your case with the mamasan.

I'd have been pretty pissed off in those circumstances but remember where you are and who you are dealing with - some things you just have to put down to experience - there's no such thing as consumer rights on Cowboy.

OK, really appreciated that you can see where I am coming from.  I don't think its black and white, but I appreciate everyone's practical comments about avoiding Soi Cowboy for awhile.

I was pissed off.  I think it was neeray (did I get that name right?) who said it was/may have been a scam from the out set.  That is how I felt.  

If it was, and the bar girl ended paying, how am in the wrong?  Shouldn't the person (the BG) responsible for the scam have to bear the costs of the scam?  

20 minutes ago, neeray said:

Having now read this whole sordid thread, and never having been in a situation needing payment of a bar fine, I see this picture.

The girl was probably never available to go "out". I think the whole episode was about selling lady drinks. You got set up for a big bar bill. Maybe the plan was to get you drunk enough that you would take a piss pass on the date.

And the boyfriend angle even reinforces my theory, IMO.

But I do agree with some others. Own the situation and go back close to opening one day soon and pay the tab. Then you're free to roam in the future, as a wiser man.

I did like it was a scam.  And the bar should bear responsibility.  I don't see this as black and white.  I get the practicalities, but I don't understand why I should pay if I have no plans to go back. 

1 minute ago, Eleutherios said:

I did like it was a scam.  And the bar should bear responsibility.  I don't see this as black and white.  I get the practicalities, but I don't understand why I should pay if I have no plans to go back. 

If you live in Bangkok, you will go back sooner or later. 

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

You would have had a problem just after trying to exit the bar. All they have to do is yell farang runner and then Thai guys or girls would be on you like flies on garbage. This is the norm here so forget about the cc tv theory. So don't worry about it, but do not go into that bar again, and maybe enter from the other direction for some time.

I take it we're talking about the soi, rather than the girl?

Luckily, you chose one of the GoGo's without bouncers.  Maybe after tonight they'll hire some, the waitress is responsible for the bill.  Go back and pay your obligation, deducting 600 baht for the unused bar fine.  You'll feel better about it.

9 minutes ago, Eleutherios said:

if you were shopping for clothes and found that the two for one offer was only after you buy five items would you walk out of the store with everything and not pay? That is how the bar will see it. You really need to fix this before you are arrested. And good luck with immigration after that.

By the way, they do this every night. Night after night.   

I only read thru page 2 so I may be the only one with this view - I like his move - although as has been pointed out it was dangerous.

Maybe it was a scam the bar and woman work - act interested in a guy, get him to buy a lot of drinks for self, woman, and her friends, then come up with an excuse to not go with the customer.

I'm amazed he got away with it and it is not recommended, but I like what he did, because I am assuming it was a scam.

Even if not, she established a situation which kept him there to keep running up a big bill, then she reneged.

Let her pay.

Staying away from there for awhile definitely sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps they let him walk because they all knew it was a scam.

Ballsy move that worked out.

You are not a thief.

They were scamming you and it cost them, not you.

I wouldn't go there and pay unless you can't bear to not go to Walking Street for a few months.

When you go back, patronize the bars on the other end of the street for awhile.

11 minutes ago, Eleutherios said:

You have had so much good advice on this thread. You are thinking like a tourist.  Since you live here, the best possible thing to do, as advised by several guys, is to go back to the bar as soon as possible, shortly after they open, maybe with a friend. Enter the bar, making yourself clearly visible and ask for the mama san. Make wais all around , lower your height and apologize profusely (grovel).

Since you have PR, you can speak some Thai, thus apologize in Thai and hand the manager/mama san the money you owe and buy a round of drinks for all.  You have lost face. By going back and manning up, you will possibly regain some. If the BG is there, speak to her and say you misunderstood the situation. By doing this, IMHO, you can then walk the soi with confidence, not having to worry about who's behind you.. Word gets around quickly in those areas.

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

if you were shopping for clothes and found that the two for one offer was only after you buy five items would you walk out of the store with everything and not pay? That is how the bar will see it. You really need to fix this before you are arrested. And good luck with immigration after that.

By the way, they do this every night. Night after night.   

It's not the same thing.

He would have found out that the two for one was only after buying five items when he tried to pay for the 1st item.

He wouldn't have run up a tab, as he did at the bar.

46 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Story on TV tomorrow:

"Police Locate Cheap Charlie Farang Who Skips Out On Bar Tab."

"Police arrested (your full name here) at his (your address here). (Photo of you in handcuffs at press conference) (Girl dressed like a nun pointing at you.)"  

Years ago I was staying in Chiang Mai for a few days break.

I spent quite a lot of time in one bar and one visit to there I got fairly drunk. The staff kept egging me on the ring the bell (there were only five or six staff), which I did two or three times.

At the end of the evening I was short of clearing the bar tab by perhaps five-hundred Baht from a three or four thousand-odd Baht bill.

The (all female) staff didn't seem too worried, as they'd got to know me and I told them I'd go to the bank to get some cash the next morning. Staggered off back to the guest house.

In the middle of the night while I was still drunk, there was knocking on my door. I opened it and a Thai guy said he was the manager of the bar demanded I pay the outstanding amount.

As I didn't have the cash he took my mobile phone (in the days when they were 20-30,000 Baht) and said I could have it back when I cleared the bill.

I did pay the bill the next morning and the embarrassed staff gave me my phone back.

Archived