Nigerian man and Thai wife arrested in Chonburi over “World Bank” romance scam

rooster59

Nigerian man and Thai wife arrested in Chonburi over “World Bank” romance scam

424612.jpg

Image: Naewna

Nong Prue police on Saturday announced the arrest of a Nigerian man and his Thai wife for their involvement in an online romance scam.

Police say Uchenna Joseph Amujiogu, 40 and Wassana Kanchiak, 36 scammed a Thai woman out of 2 million baht.

The woman contacted police in June after she realised she had been a victim of the scam.

The woman told police how in February she was sent a friend request on Facebook by someone with the name of UD Danid who claimed to be a doctor in the US military.

The pair continued chatting online using Google Hangouts with the man later claiming he was called David Mandy.

212997.jpg

The victim was then told a US$500,000 loan had been approved for her from the “World Bank” but in order to access it she would need to transfer $50,000 to release the rest of the money.

The victim, who was issued with a document from the “World Bank” transferred the money to multiple bank accounts but later realised the whole thing was a scam.

After the complaint was made, police studied CCTV footage from outside the ATMs of where some of the money was withdrawn.

212996.jpg

It was then that they discovered someone who they believe to be Kanchiak dressed in a black jacket with a hood, sunglasses and a mask covering her face. 

On Saturday, police tracked down Amujiogu and Kanchiak to an address in Sattahip where they were arrested. They have been charged with numerous offences related to fraud. They remain in custody.

Source: Naewna

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-07

11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The victim was then told a US$500,000 loan had been approved for her from the “World Bank” but in order to access it she would need to transfer $50,000 to release the rest of the money.

So, the "victim" had applied for a $500k loan. How did she planned to pay it back, and where's the "romance scam" in this story? Sounds more like she thought she could scam the "World Bank"...

17 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I've just sent 10,000 Euros to get my 10 million Euros from World Bank.

Does that mean that I've got to wait a bit longer, now? 

Unfortunately yes. Due to the high demand, the processing time is likely to run into twenty years.

Most of Nigeria GDP comes from cheating, conning and scamming people all over the world, while other nations produces great leaders, scientists and nobel laureates Nigeria is the mother country of all scams, i hate these people with a passion...

Just now, lipflipper said:

Why any self respecting Thai woman would take up with an African is beyond my comprehension. And it goes double for any person be they male or female to fall for an obvious scam.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

what's wrong with 'Africans' then mate? Enlighten us? Okay this one is a crook, but most are not.  

22 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

Why any self respecting Thai woman would take up with an African is beyond my comprehension. And it goes double for any person be they male or female to fall for an obvious scam.

The reason gullible people fall for these obvious scams is pure greed and the thought of easy profit.....no sympathy from me!

Going back to my early days of Thai dating sites involvement, I've met an estimated 1,000 (or many more) Thai ladies seeking love or farang companionship. But I never met one with gobs of money.

Man, how did I **** up so badly !

Well, there was one who offered me half her house and all the TLC I could handle. But I'm not into that bag over the head thing.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Looks like he has been scammed to if his Mrs claims to be 36????  

not her fault when requesting an "upsize' at mcdonalds after they ran out of coke and fries so they gave her mr upsize

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

none bothered to pity the victims as usual,

anyway hope the couple get a lengthy prison time

so the victims feel justice have been served

Not really, if folk with money are taken in to make money by doing nothing, just greed then that is their problem..

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most of Nigeria GDP comes from cheating, conning and scamming people all over the world, while other nations produces great leaders, scientists and nobel laureates Nigeria is the mother country of all scams, i hate these people with a passion...

There has to be a special place in Hell for conmen like the man and his wife. I feel sorry for the victim's inability to foretell that she was about to conned with such a ridiculous offer, perhaps too much greed?... and you Ezzra have written what is a classic example of a Hate speech, whenever I post constructive or critic comments about events in thailand I get my comments deleted for breaking forum rules, I wonder what forum rules you have broken, and I wonder if your comment will be deleted.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Not really, if folk with money are taken in to make money by doing nothing, just greed then that is their problem..

And gullibility. The scam letters that used to go around years ago with ludicrous stories of millions of dollars that couldnt be removed from the country without outside help reaped big dividends, with some people losing 6 figure sums as they got sucked in. The scammers knew that anyone with half a brain would see through the blurb complete with DELIBERATE spelling mistakes. But some just didnt and marked themselves as easy prey. They were the ultimate targets. Quite clever unfortunately.

1 hour ago, potless said:

And gullibility. The scam letters that used to go around years ago with ludicrous stories of millions of dollars that couldnt be removed from the country without outside help reaped big dividends, with some people losing 6 figure sums as they got sucked in. The scammers knew that anyone with half a brain would see through the blurb complete with DELIBERATE spelling mistakes. But some just didnt and marked themselves as easy prey. They were the ultimate targets. Quite clever unfortunately.

Im actelly the onle one who got a milion dolers on won of thees so caled scams.

PM ME and Ill tell you where to send 100 dolers to get your share of the nixt milion.

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

what's wrong with 'Africans' then mate? Enlighten us? Okay this one is a crook, but most are not.  

I was told last night having a beer on Soi Buakhao and talking with a Thai lady, that with rap music and Obama, Thai ladies love black men.... 

Had to stop family members from falling for this one,they wanted me to drive Yaso to Phuket to put money in.The Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn run a similar scam where people put money into a long term acc for twenty years and get a few thousand baht but if you want to withdraw before ten years you lose up to half in early exit fees.The wife got caught by both banks on this one.So the Nigerians are not the only scammers in Thailand.  

Archived