Ready to make the jump to Thailand

Hey everyone, 

It's been so very informative to read alot of the posts and content on here. Seems like a great community. 

So I'm looking at making the jump to move to Thailand. In an ideal world I'd stay forever but there's always a chance life can get in the way. 

I've been to Thailand 11x now generally two months or so at a time. My first trip was 04 and I've been back most years since. 

I own and operate a Muay Thai gym here in Canada and have had it for 4 years now but I've grown restless more recently and ever since my last trip to Thailand I knew in the back of my mind that Thailand has always felt more like home than Canada ever has.

Coming up from the Muay Thai scene I've seen ALOT of the good and bad that the country has to offer. Been extorted by police officers, scammed by crooked cabbies, you name it. I've experienced first hand the corruption and gambling that goes along with Muay Thai. And I'm in no way deluded enough to believe that every Farang is beneficial to the country. I know the landscape is changing greatly I terms of foreign issues and the fact that some expats are slowly leaving. 

I understand the culture well and I love the people like they are my own family. So I think I have a pretty good grasp on life there, the culture, the way of life etc. At least from the Muay Thai scope of things. Obviously I'm much less experienced in the politics, red tape and the headaches than come along with it because my time there has never been more than training and fighting. 

My plan currently is to liquidate my business, sell what I can and land there either October or December of this year. I have a bit of a support system and am probably luckier than most who take this leap as a long time mentor and Muay Thai coach of mine has lived back and forth between Thailand and Canada for the last 18 years. He has a daughter aged ten who's Thai and she still lives there fulltime. So I'm not going into this process completely blind and clueless or at least I don't think so. 

The gym he fought out of and still trains at is taking me on fulltime as a fighter and student. I'll help out where I can and in return my room and board and meals are free. So my overall expenses would be quite a bit lower than most people's. They have basically refused any payment on my end as they want me to stay in their home as family. The culture in the north seems different than what I am used to in the tourist heavy areas of the south. Even though they are refusing money now I'm still going to give them the lions share of what I earn fighting and however else I earn money obviously. 

I cannot fight forever so I'd need to plan to eventually have a business or stay on at that gym or another as a coach. I've got a few ideas for some Muay Thai instructionals and some other areas to make some money long term. 

It's in Lampang, which is one area I know very little about. Thoen district to be exact. Most of my time spent has been in Pathum Thani, Bangkok, and Rawai (Phuket). I've seen Phuket change immensely over the years and it's not for me. I want something small, intimate and with minimal tourists acting like idiots. The gym is virtually unknown, off the beaten path and probably the last gym in the area a Farang or tourist would go to. They have no foreign fighters, I'd be the only one at this time. The first in a decade actually, which I'm happy about because I want to be able to live as close to the culture and country as possible. The family has welcomed me in with open arms even though they haven't had a Farang stay or train with them in a decade besides my coach who's basically family to them at this point. 

Based off my large Novel above do I sound like I am better equipped and suited for this than most people who come up with the idea of packing up and moving to Thailand?

I'll be coming with some savings. Maybe 20k Canadian for emergencies and what not but the majority of the money I earn will be from Thai boxing. I'll be receiving another 10k Canadian in the first year and a half  as my business partner slowly buys out some of the stuff in my business I'm leaving behind. 

In an ideal world I would do this for 3 years and if I'm successful I'd start working at staying forever and setting down roots here. The biggest point in my rambling above is I don't intend to live like a Farang. I don't need immenities and western comforts. I'm not coming because of the beaches, women or the fact I can party cheaply. I'm coming because of the art, culture and sport and what it means to me. 

Thoughts? Opinions? Questions? Concerns? Suggestions? 

I'm all ears and would love to hear what those who have experienced this and been through it think. Obviously I have rose colored glasses on as I'm eager.

Cheeers, 

Joshua

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will they arrange a work permit for you?

Most people in this business probably don't have one, but if you don't make it legal you always have the risk that any day immigration police can come to arrest, deport and ban you from Thailand.

34 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

My plan currently is to liquidate my business, sell what I can and land there either October or December of this year.

Wish you luck, but always, always have a back up plan. Hopefully you either have or have access to somewhere to stay back home if it all goes *its up ! Too many people went to Thailand with big plans and ended up broke with nothing to return to.

10 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Your first consideration should be how you are going to obtain permission to continuously live in the Kingdom.

What are your plans for Visas/Extensions of Stay?

That seems to be the biggest hurdle so far, my plan is an ED visa which is a total of 12 months if I get the proper extensions? 

They have a business where they rent out boxing rings and cover the areas in Lampang within a few hours each direction. Set it up, take it down. Drive to the next city and do this over again. That seems to be the main way the family supplements their income. The youngest daughter speaks English fairly well and said they looked into a work permit for me and that it is possible for them to help me get one. I'm still researching this myself as it's a bit of an obscure business. 

I've got alot of friends in Canada who would help me if I had to return home because I fell flat on my face in Thailand. I'm well known enough in my career here that there's alot of gyms that would be happy to hire me assuming I came back. 

There must be some way to do it successfully as friends of mine have lived and fought in Phuket for years now. One of them for the last 4 years. I don't think he's doing it in an illegal way as he's traveling in and out to fight in China and Holland from Thailand. 

It's a nervous thing when I break it down in my head but I think that keeps me sharp in some regards. And considering I'm moving there for the opposite reason and lifestyle most people my age are headed there for I think I could pull it off. 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Will they arrange a work permit for you?

Most people in this business probably don't have one, but if you don't make it legal you always have the risk that any day immigration police can come to arrest, deport and ban you from Thailand.

I would never put myself in the situation where that could happen. I don't intend to break any laws no matter how minor. Anything I will do over there will be done legally with the proper paperwork. 

I don't consume alcohol, I don't have lavish spending habits, no interest in bar girls, drugs or parties. Just looking for a simple life doing what I love. 

If me fighting professionally helps this family out in even the slightest positive way it will be completely worthwhile for me. I've spent too many years putting my own dreams on hold. It might seem silly to some but living in the middle of nowhere in Thailand with very little appeals to me in a big way. And I've always forged great relationships with the Thai's I've spent time with. 

My last trip outside Phuket a camp I was training at tried to give my fighter and I an air conditioned room for free because because I paid them double what they were supposed to receive from our fight purses. They wouldn't take no for an answer so we accepted the room.  I got up that night and went and slept back near the ring in the hut with the rest of them. They looked at me like I was absolutely insane and nothing was ever said about it. But they treated me differently after that. They understood I wasn't on a holiday for some instagram videos asn pictures. 

I'm hoping this type of mentality and relationship will help me in some positive way 

I am sure there are people who did not make such a planned exit to Thailand. 

I have met many bar/resort owners in the south who just run and jumped. Some are still at it, some are not.

The muay thai angle seems very strong, if you can get work in Canada if it does fail, surely the same can be said here.

You may as well give it your best shot and go with the flow, a lot of worriers and what iffers here but what will be, will be.

5 years in, planning the next 10, 5 months at a time. ( non O visa 90 days + 60 extension)

Best of luck.

13 minutes ago, Mikisteel said:

I am sure there are people who did not make such a planned exit to Thailand. 

I have met many bar/resort owners in the south who just run and jumped. Some are still at it, some are not.

The muay thai angle seems very strong, if you can get work in Canada if it does fail, surely the same can be said here.

You may as well give it your best shot and go with the flow, a lot of worriers and what iffers here but what will be, will be.

5 years in, planning the next 10, 5 months at a time. ( non O visa 90 days + 60 extension)

Best of luck.

I really appreciate that. Thank you so much ????

11 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Visa and healthcare should be your main focus...good luck!

That's definitely where I will put most of my focus considering Thai boxing isn't exactly the safest way to make money lol. Cuts and what not are part of it but Healthcare is important for anything more. My first fight in Thailand I got stitched up after my fight in the stadium and went home fine. Few days later I went to check in at the camp with the other fighters and decided to do some light clinch work on the bag. Accidentally brushed the bag once with my forehead and both my cuts got infected badly. Since then I've been diligent to say the least and have never traveled without health care

The visa seems to be the biggest headache involved and for this particular situation I find so many "different answers" on material I research. I really appreciate all of the insight.

I felt as though I may get my head chewed off by some posters as I'm not wealthy or with enough in the bank to retire on. Although I'm planning to move here to give myself what I consider to be a better life some may view it as me making a poor decision or one that is unwise. So I'm trying to reiterate the point I know it will be difficult. It's not going to be sunshine and rainbows all the time. I'm ok with that 

2 minutes ago, wisperone said:

If you are going to work, you will need a work permit.  Good intentions won't cut it.

Generally speaking I know Muay Thai falls under an education visa. I'm finding different answers whether or not it can also get me a work visa. 

If the sport itself isn't enough to secure one maybe the ring rental business they have would be? 

9 minutes ago, wisperone said:

If you are going to work, you will need a work permit.  Good intentions won't cut it.

Also I would have enough money selling my gym here to get an elite visa if it comes to that for me being able to stay long term 

just like when preparing to fight an opponent:   you can look at film for hours, and spar getting in shape.

but stepping into the ring (Thailand) will be a whole other experience.   I hope you are fast on your feet and a quick learner.   Or else you gonna get knocked out 

but maybe you are different  ?

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

just like when preparing to fight an opponent:   you can look at film for hours, and spar getting in shape.

but stepping into the ring (Thailand) will be a whole other experience.   I hope you are fast on your feet and a quick learner.   Or else you gonna get knocked out 

but maybe you are different  ?

I like the analogy. I appreciate that. I'd like to think I'm different but as you said we won't know until I get off the plane right. 

Cheers. 

Thoen is very nice and the people are great... good country people. Very friendly and still very genuine traditional Thailand... and very little Western influence. It sounds like you are looking for just that... good luck to you. 

16 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Thoen is very nice and the people are great... good country people. Very friendly and still very genuine traditional Thailand... and very little Western influence. It sounds like you are looking for just that... good luck to you. 

It has been very difficult to find much of anything on Thoen other than alot of people saying it's boring. Boring is good. Boring is exactly what I want. What are your thoughts on Thoen and Lampang? Most of the things I've read are from expats looking to party and have a bar scene. Obviously a little area like this isn't tourist central and that's partly why it appeals to me 

The family I've mentioned is exactly what you have described. They all added me on Facebook the moment my coach told them I was interested. Both of the sons and daughter speak to me daily sending me photos and things. They have expressed interest in learning English and want to teach me Thai.

The financial gain they would get from me being there is pretty moot. The daughters already married with a child to a Thai man so it's not a get a Farang to marry our daughter type of deal.  They own a boxing gym so they know I'm not coming over with alot of money and won't be raking in the money in my fights. I feel they are doing it because they want to. Because of the relationship they have had with my coach over the years. They kept asking me why I didn't want to go to Chiang Mai as there are bigger gyms and more immenities and things to do but I wasn't having it. As soon as they saw I was serious they

welcomed me with open arms. Seeing this type of selfless behavior is very sobering coming from a country as wealthy as Canada. 

2 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I like the analogy. I appreciate that. I'd like to think I'm different but as you said we won't know until I get off the plane right. 

Cheers. 

well,  actually getting off the plane is the easy part .  It's  what shape you're in after the 10th round that will really tell the tale of the tape.    good luck,  stay calm

You seem to brush over the healthcare, travel insurance for a limited period isn't going to work for you living full time here. You are going to need something more substantial as one incident could be a knockout blow financially. Given your profession it won't be easy or cheap.

Best of luck, keep looking, reading and asking ! 

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

You seem to brush over the healthcare, travel insurance for a limited period isn't going to work for you living full time here. You are going to need something more substantial as one incident could be a knockout blow financially. Given your profession it won't be easy or cheap.

Best of luck, keep looking, reading and asking ! 

Any suggestions? Blue cross from Canada potentially? From your experience what are some reputable companies to work with? 

27 minutes ago, rumak said:

well,  actually getting off the plane is the easy part .  It's  what shape you're in after the 10th round that will really tell the tale of the tape.    good luck,  stay calm

Do you attend any Thai boxing shows? I'm assuming you live in Thailand still. Any interest in the sport? 

It looks to me as though you have done what you can to prepare.  Just relax and have confidence in your ability to adapt.  Lampang isn't really that small so you will be able to find what you need there.  You don't sound like a dick so I don't foresee any major problems.  This sounds like something you really want to do, and something you would regret not doing, so give it your best shot and my guess is that it will be a great experience, one way or another.

I have been very successful just winging it but I get that most people need more of a plan.

6 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Any suggestions? Blue cross from Canada potentially? From your experience what are some reputable companies to work with? 

The majority here are retirees and far different from both age and health perspective.I would just get quotes from a few reputable companies and make your own mind up.

But do something, don't try winging it, something is better than nothing.

6 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I understand the culture well and I love the people like they are my own family.

You don't!

Even after living here most foreigners, myself included, do not understand the culture. We have an idea what happens but understanding is something different.

And personally I definitely don't love "the people". Here are many nice people but also lots of scumbags.

10 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

It looks to me as though you have done what you can to prepare.  Just relax and have confidence in your ability to adapt.  Lampang isn't really that small so you will be able to find what you need there.  You don't sound like a dick so I don't foresee any major problems.  This sounds like something you really want to do, and something you would regret not doing, so give it your best shot and my guess is that it will be a great experience, one way or another.

Pretty much how I've described it to those around me. My business has done well in Canada and although I am only 30 that's old for fighting. Especially in Thailand. I'm fortunate to not have the wear and tear that a Thai my age would have so I'm still competitive with the boxers there in their early 20s. But for how many more years? 6 or 7 if I'm extremely lucky? If I don't go now when am I going to? 

I know it's an amazing place to settle down and retire at to spend your golden years and that's what I plan to do. Just alot younger than most when they make that decision. As I said before it's not the beaches, women or booze that's bringing me back to LOS. It's the culture, the smell of the boxing linament and the beauty of it all. It's the only place I've ever felt content. 

And I'm not a dick no. I'm not a push over either but I know well enough when it's time to say something or time to keep my mouth shut and eyes open. My first time in Thailand I was there for 2 months on my own at 14 as my coach flew back before me. Eye opening experience to say the least lol 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You don't!

Even after living here most foreigners, myself included, do not understand the culture. We have an idea what happens but understanding is something different.

And personally I definitely don't love "the people". Here are many nice people but also lots of scumbags.

Sorry I didn't word that properly in my OP. I mean I understand the culture of the sport of Muay Thai well and the people that are in that world. I've seen the good, the bad, and the downright terrible. That's generally what I spend the majority of my time immersed in when I am in Thailand. 

There's scumbags anywhere. Plenty here in Canada. I encounter them all the time. Just easier for them to spot you in Thailand as a foreigner in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, geronimo said:

You've obviously done your homework, so good luck Sir and I'm sure it work out for you.

I appreciate the kind words. It's nice reading peoples thoughts and input. Thank you 

Archived