Ready to make the jump to Thailand

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, lust said:

You already missed the boat on Thailand.  Look elsewhere, IMO. Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam.

I tend to agree.  My first trip was in 2004 and I loved it.  Went twice or more every year.  In 2009 I was all signed up for a teaching "certification" course, had a lull in all my engineering contracts and figured let's go give it a go.  So glad the next day when I was going to send in the deposit to the school, buy the plane ticket, etc.  I got a juicy contract that subsequently allowed me to reach the millionaire mark (USD).  Still single and no attachments, but now I really can punch out and be well financially.  Had I gone to Thailand in 2008, I know I would not have made the money I now have.  Would those years have been better years?  Possibly, but as I am now 62, my retirement situation, income, etc.  would be no where as good as it is now.  But the ease of going to and staying in Thailand is long gone and those nutty immigration and police orders and paperwork are exactly the type of things I hate after working on government and drone like engineering companies for decades.  Two SETVs with one extension for 3 months then later in the year another 3 months is probably what I will be doing starting very soon.  And will combine trips outside of Thailand every 88 days to avoid those stupid 90 day reports.   If I don't get bored, maybe will stay more.  Being 62 the retirement extensions are available.  Any way, I am content with not having made the jump to Thailand.  I would have given up so much, for a much less certain future

Regarding sleeping outside near the training facilities (in lieu of the air-conditioned room), I wouldn't ever do that again without a mosquito net.  Malaria, Dengue Fever, Elephantiasis, Chikungunya Virus, the list goes on and on and some of these can be fatal or life changing.  It would put you down for many weeks or months and you be a weak man with a long road to recovery afterwards.

Not to mention that you were not born and raised here, your immune system is in a foreign environment so you would be more susceptible to acquiring one of these nasty parasites or viruses than the locals.  I'd be a lot more careful if I was you.  Being young, healthy and in top shape is a big plus but you can still get deathly ill from sleeping outside with the mosquitos here (not to mention the snakes and other deadly creatures).

We all take chances and leave it mostly to fate but there is no sense in taking unnecessary and extreme risks like that just to prove a point.  Venturing out onto the roads and eating street food is taking more than enough risk here.

Good luck with your adventure but always take care of #1 first and foremost.

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I tend to agree.  My first trip was in 2004 and I loved it.  Went twice or more every year.  In 2009 I was all signed up for a teaching "certification" course, had a lull in all my engineering contracts and figured let's go give it a go.  So glad the next day when I was going to send in the deposit to the school, buy the plane ticket, etc.  I got a juicy contract that subsequently allowed me to reach the millionaire mark (USD).  Still single and no attachments, but now I really can punch out and be well financially.  Had I gone to Thailand in 2008, I know I would not have made the money I now have.  Would those years have been better years?  Possibly, but as I am now 62, my retirement situation, income, etc.  would be no where as good as it is now.  But the ease of going to and staying in Thailand is long gone and those nutty immigration and police orders and paperwork are exactly the type of things I hate after working on government and drone like engineering companies for decades.  Two SETVs with one extension for 3 months then later in the year another 3 months is probably what I will be doing starting very soon.  And will combine trips outside of Thailand every 88 days to avoid those stupid 90 day reports.   If I don't get bored, maybe will stay more.  Being 62 the retirement extensions are available.  Any way, I am content with not having made the jump to Thailand.  I would have given up so much, for a much less certain future

Dam!!  one of the best reads & submissions ever...congrats to ya & thx for sharing!!  I'm also not far behind as I follow the same path.  

*Update*

Sorry I haven't gotten around to posting in a bit. Been busy at work and getting things in order. 

I will be arriving September 1st from Canada to Chiang Mai and the family will be meeting me there to pick me up and bring me back to Thoen. 

I'll start with the METV visa as it's the easiest course of action. I inquired to both a language school and combatives class in Chiang Mai that can secure 1 year ED visas so after my first 6 months that may be my avenue of securing another year which I'll work on as soon as I arrive. 

I was able to secure long term insurance in three different ways. One being through my bank in Canada and then second being through a company online and the last being through my ex spouses BAR insurance here in Canada. She's a Lawyer here in Canada and I've been on her plan for years as I cover the deductible and she has me on there as a secondary. Because I get no health insurance being a Thai boxing gym owner here's in Canada automatically. When I needed stitches previously when fighting in Thailand it was always covered and reimbursed by them without issue. I also got bit by a dog once lol, they also covered that. 

Some long term ideas to secure myself income and stay are opening up a small hostel through the family as they have land to do so next to their home and gym. We would do excursions for Thai boxers in the western world looking to get a real authentic experience here in Thailand. I would run it online and be the western contact to book people and answer questions. I've spoken with several gyms in Phuket who already do this and they have walked me through the process of setting it up legally. 

This is in demand as Thailand is changing immensely too and that real authentic experience for a Muay Thai fighter is becoming tougher to find. Tourism sort of brought that into a similar day and age as the western world. Air conditioned flats, showers, cable TV. That's what most gyms offer now and in my opinion it's no more authentic than training in any other tropical country. 

This would be more old school, hardened, less amenities and as close to as the old days as I could manage it to be. That might sound silly to you all but struggle and being uncomfortable is what breeds toughness in a person and I know many fighters in North America still searching for this experience. 

I have a university degree so I can do TESL in lampang with a certification and worst case I would travel that distance every few days if needed to secure a work permit and longer visa. 

Lastly once I am certain that this is where I'm set on being and staying I would just pay for the elite visa if that was the easiest option for me when the time comes. 

I've been in contact with some people who pointed me in the direction of volunteering while I'm there. Not for a visa or anything else but just to try and do my part for the country and being in the area. Seems there are always volunteers needed up north working with the tribes people etc. 

I've been speaking nightly with the family for hours. Their mother is quite a sweet woman, messages me good morning and good night every day. We communicate back and forth probably 4 hours every day even wit the time difference. They have been introducing me as their "son" to their family members and friends. They have called my coach their Son for many years and he calls them mother and father so I guess by association I am now son too. I speak with the daughter and her husband on Skype. They are helping with my Thai and learning more English quite quickly themselves. 

I've included some photos of them just for you guys to get a feel for them. The farang there is my coach. He's coming out with me for the first 3 months to help me transition into it easier. The older man is the father and gym owner. The woman is his wife. They have 4 kids and 2 grand kids. 

The photo with all the children is them doing some volunteer work near by. They bring food and clothing several times a year to a village in the mountains. 

The father is either teaching Muay Thai, setting up boxing rings or helping at the temple. Seems like he never stops working. They are always at the temple working and helping out. Seems to be a daily thing 

So that's where I'm at now with this journey. You guys have all been amazing, Ken and Ubonjoe made this possible for me so thank you. You guys all had great input and suggestions and whether or not it was what I wanted to hear or not is irrelevant. The naysayers are as important or more important than the people telling me to go live my dream. I needed to hear and be aware of the good and the bad. I appreciate you hearing my story and taking time out of your own days to help me live my dream 

I'll make sure that I'm in contact with anyone interested once I touch down and get myself sorted. 

????

received_450528142449009.jpeg

received_350884338900054.jpeg

received_384650748826866.jpeg

received_1268363653323464.jpeg

received_361107984568259.jpeg

received_435905080378081.jpeg

received_923780067971154.jpeg

received_413746082572196.jpeg

received_576784162850964.jpeg

received_521557438419293.jpeg

received_421170348738576.jpeg