Ready to make the jump to Thailand

Just now, Nakmuay887 said:

I appreciate the kind words. It's nice reading peoples thoughts and input. Thank you 

if I had to choose between Canada and Thailand, it would be no contest. If the grizzlies didn't kill me, the sub zero temperatures would!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rumak said:

well,  actually getting off the plane is the easy part .  It's  what shape you're in after the 10th round that will really tell the tale of the tape.    good luck,  stay calm

they only do 5 rounds in Muay Thai ..... 10 rounds would kill anyone!!!!!

9 minutes ago, geronimo said:

People would be gassed by then for sure. Although I have seen 7 round fights glory rules. So knees no clinch and no elbows. 

And if you remember the old school American style kickboxing with the funny pants. They used to do 10 rounders but with no low kicks it changes it up alot 

4 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Generally speaking I know Muay Thai falls under an education visa

If you are only practicing it as a student then yes. But the moment you do anything which brings a monetary benefit for you or others (fighting for money, or teaching students) it's work and you will need a work permit to keep it legal.

4 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Also I would have enough money selling my gym here to get an elite visa if it comes to that for me being able to stay long term

An elite visa does not allow you to work, so if you want to keep it legal that's not an option.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you are only practicing it as a student then yes. But the moment you do anything which brings a monetary benefit for you or others (fighting for money, or teaching students) it's work and you will need a work permit to keep it legal.

An elite visa does not allow you to work, so if you want to keep it legal that's not an option.

My best option is to see if I can be employed in their family business then I guess. I am looking at every avenue here in how I can make this work. 

Thank you for your response I really appreciate it 

You don't say how old you are or what kind of visa you would be on. I'm impressed with the number of visits you have made here, but as far as your overall plan to move to Thailand, I have to say I'm decidedly unimpressed.

For starters, your finances sound extremely shaky to me. There's no way I would move over here with so little savings, which with startup costs probably is little more than one year's cost of living. The supplemental income from the buy-out of your share in the business is contingent upon the gym back home continuing to generate enough income for your partner to fully reimburse you. Also, your financial viability in Thailand appears to be totally dependent on the success of your friend's gym. What is plan B if the gym fails, you have a falling out with the owner, or he can no longer afford to employ you? An aging(?) boxer's legal employment in a Thai-owned gym seems anything but a sure thing to me.

My other big concern would be that you are contemplating engaging in a very injury prone occupation overseas. Medical insurance might patch you back together, but what happens if you become permanently disabled in some way where you needed long-term care, were unable to work, or had to be repatriated home?

The last big concern would be language skills. In Lampang I'm guessing there are probably not enough foreigners interested in muay thai for you to develop a completely English speaking clientele. On the presumption that you would be teaching, I imagine that much of the teaching would involve demonstrating and non-verbal body language, but, still, if you are engaged in an activity which presents an increased risk of physical injury, not being able to fully communicate with someone does increase the risk of injury due to miscommunication.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but the time to think about these things is now, not after you've made the leap.

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

You don't say how old you are or what kind of visa you would be on. I'm impressed with the number of visits you have made here, but as far as your overall plan to move to Thailand, I have to say I'm decidedly unimpressed.

For starters, your finances sound extremely shaky to me. There's no way I would move over here with so little savings, which with startup costs probably is little more than one year's cost of living. The supplemental income from the buy-out of your share in the business is contingent upon the gym back home continuing to generate enough income for your partner to fully reimburse you. Also, your financial viability in Thailand appears to be totally dependent on the success of your friend's gym. What is plan B if the gym fails, or he can no longer afford to employ you. An aging(?) boxer's legal employment in a Thai-run gym seems less than a sure thing to me.

My other big concern would be that you are contemplating engaging in a very injury prone occupation overseas. Medical insurance might patch you back together, but what happens if you become permanently disabled in some way where you needed long-term care or had to be repatriated home?

The last big concern would be language skills. In Lampang I'm guessing there are probably not enough foreigners interested in muay thai for you to develop a completely English speaking clientele. On the presumption that you would be teaching, I imagine that much of the teaching would involve demonstrating and non-verbal body language, but, still, if you are engaged in an activity where there is an increased risk of physical injury, not being able to fully communicate with someone does increase the risk of miscommunication and injury.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but the time to think about these things is now, not after you've made the leap.

People are all different, I came here with 500 quid and a one way ticket ........

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No expert on the matter, but I think it's 'only' 5 rounds in Muay Thai.

In Canada 3 for your first 15 usually and then 5 after. Most title fights are 5.

In Thailand its 5 across the board. Fights in the north being much more competitive regionally than fights in the south. A show in Phuket with 5 fights might be over in an hour because it's half filled with Thai's taking dives against Farangs from "mainstream" gyms. 

In the north competition is much stiffer as less Farangs = less Thai's fighting Farangs for just a pay day. 

Two biggest stadiums being Lumpinee and Rajadamnern. Lumpinee just built a new stadium but the older one had more character in my opinion. 

Hmm what other obscure facts can I give you. Never front kick a Thai in the face. Ever. Unless you have a deathwish. 

If one fighter is clearly ahead Thai's sit out the last round more or less. So if you have ever seen that happen that is why. No sense on giving one another more damage if you both have to fight again in two weeks. 

Traditionally we rarely elbow until the end of the third round. Unless they elbow me first which actually happened in my last fight right after we touched gloves but he was from China not Thailand 

There's your lesson for the day on Thai boxing 

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

For starters, your finances sound extremely shaky to me. There's no way I would move over here with so little savings, which with startup costs probably is little more than one year's cost of living. The supplemental income from the buy-out of your share in the business is contingent upon the gym back home continuing to generate enough income for your partner to fully reimburse you. Also, your financial viability in Thailand appears to be totally dependent on the success of your friend's gym. What is plan B if the gym fails, or he can no longer afford to employ you. An aging(?) boxer's legal employment in a Thai-run gym seems less than a sure thing to me.

My other big concern would be that you are contemplating engaging in a very injury prone occupation overseas. Medical insurance might patch you back together, but what happens if you become permanently disabled in some way where you needed long-term care or had to be repatriated home?

The last big concern would be language skills. In Lampang I'm guessing there are probably not enough foreigners interested in muay thai for you to develop a completely English speaking clientele. On the presumption that you would be teaching, I imagine that much of the teaching would involve demonstrating and non-verbal body language, but, still, if you are engaged in an activity where there is an increased risk of physical injury, not being able to fully communicate with someone does increase the risk of miscommunication and injury.

All valid concerns. 

I know I'm not moving to Thailand to play checkers, I know the risk involved and this isn't something I came up with on a whim. I've fought 25x in Thailand before. I don't have delusions of moving here and making millions fighting. 

I'm 30. I'd take and ED visa in the beginning I'm assuming, that's why I posted here. I was curious of input from others and what people would suggest. 

From everyone I have talked to 30 thousand Canadian will go very far in Thoen which is where I'll be as my coach had said that costs here are often half of areas in the south of Thailand. I have not seen for myself yet so that may very well be hearsay. I have no costs to feed myself, or for room and board. I don't drink, smoke and I have enough training equipment to last myself a half decade that I'll be shipping over. The money will be to help out where I can and for visa runs. I'll make sure I have good insurance before I make the move. 

I know that my career choice is very dangerous. It's just as dangerous here in Canada and I have less of a support system here than in Thailand as my coach is the closest thing to a parent or family member that I have. 

I'd assume I'm there for a few years before I take more of a teaching role. Ive had no issues in the past communicating when it comes to Thai boxing. Hitting pads is the same no Matter what language you speak. The gym has been around for nearly 30 years so hopefully it doesn't go bust anytime soon. Outside of tourist heavy areas the money isn't in clients, it's in fighters. You live and die by the money you earn fighting. That's why you see gambling the way that you do at boxing matches in Thailand. 

You make alot of valid points that I'll take to heart in this decision. I've seen ALOT of my friends do well with alot less money and fewer Braincells Than me in this journey so hopefully I'll come through the other side ok. 

I'll start researching visas more heavily. Thank you for your help! 

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

you win , i was too lazy to edit .  I knew the thai elite would be quick to point out

24 minutes ago, geronimo said:

People are all different, I came here with 500 quid and a one way ticket ........

Everyone who moves to Thailand buys a one-way ticket. :biggrin: Twenty years ago you could always find a job teaching English just about anywhere without any problems. Visa options were more available, and the cost of living was a fraction of what it is now. Today, we're living in a world where visas are more restricted, news of overstayer arrests are in the news everyday, and the cost of living is much higher. Peddling that 'free-spirit, hippy-dippy, throw-caution-to-the-wind' malarkey in today's world is doing the OP a disservice IMHO.

Nak muay .   Ok   two ways to look at this.  1. Hey,  give it a shot.  Not everything can be planned to the hilt,

visas, health insurance, etc etc.     Its up to each individual to decide the risk/reward for themself and take the responsiblities of their decision   2.  Don't do it because the odds are against you.  Many make the mistake of not planning for this and for that  etc etc.

My opinion :  From your responses you seem to handle suggestions and admonitions very well. This suggests a maturity on your part which I am sure will serve you well.  Personally I belong to the first group when looking back at my life.  I planned (somewhat)...but there was never any foolproof safety net . Many have succeeded this way, some have failed.  Following dreams or new lifestyles surely can involve risks... but to always avoid risks can lead to a boring and static life.   

And one more thing:   should you last 5 rounds don't ignore the best round of all :  the 6th round

Very interesting topic, and informative. Thanks for sharing an insight into Muay Thai. I'm the sort of guy who is able to settle anywhere, so moving 'home' to another country is a straightforward matter of getting to know how (and where) to live there - pros and cons, so to speak.

It seems like you have a well-researched plan for the immediate future based, in the main, on your previous visits. 

However, I'm in total agreement with Gecko 123 that an intended long-term stay needs the basics to be in place - and IMO, to being financially able to support yourself in the future as well as immediate, as you can bet your last dollar that once left Canada, you'll be on your own, and it might not be that easy to obtain monies owing from your business sale. I would ensure I had most of it in the bank before I left.

Having said that, I am totally with you in wanting to follow your dream, and keep PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) in mind. If you don't do it soon, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

As far as Lampang province is concerned  - and from what you said - it would suit your living style. A Thai phrase book and Google translate would be needed, though.  And be prepared for Thai Immigration hassle  - IMO, seek out a visa agency and let them sort out the legalities while you're finding your feet for the first couple of years.

Best of luck, and enjoy life in Thailand while you can...

46 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I know that my career choice is very dangerous. It's just as dangerous here in Canada and I have less of a support system here than in Thailand as my coach is the closest thing to a parent or family member that I have. 

I hear what you are saying, but in Canada you do have some social safety net of disability, unemployment, and medical insurance in the event you were injured. In Thailand there is no such safety net, and unless you had adequate resources, you would likely be subject to unceremonious deportation.

After learning you are only 30, my advice would be to DEFINITELY reconsider relocating here. Your employment opportunities and earning potential is simply too restricted. At your age, there is a near 100% certainty that you will or want to relocate back home at some point in the future. An extended stay in Thailand at your age would almost certainly compromise your future earnings and career opportunities, both while in Thailand and were you to return home in the future. Access to education and training programs in Thailand would be very limited. This would rob you of the ability to learn new skills in order to transition into newly opened career fields in today's ever changing job market. You are on the cusp of entering your peak earning potential years. Don't throw that away on a lark.

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I hear what you are saying, but in Canada you do have some social safety net of disability unemployment,  and medical insurance in the event you were injured. In Thailand there is no such safety net, and unless you had adequate resources, you would likely be subject to unceremonious deportation.

After learning you are only 30, my advice would be to DEFINITELY reconsider relocating here. Your employment and earning potential here is simply too limited. At your age, there is a near 100% certainty that you will or want to relocate back home at some point in the future. An extended stay in Thailand at your age would almost certainly compromise your future earnings and career opportunities, both while in Thailand and were you to return home in the future. Access to education and training programs in Thailand would be very limited. This would rob you of the ability to learn new skills in order to transition into newly opened career fields in today's ever changing job market.

You are on the cusp of entering your peak earning potential years. Don't throw that away on a lark.

While commonsense approach, it is important for anyone to follow their dream while they are able to do so. I would encourage OP to take the plunge, because it's called living life and learning, something difficult to do if the opportunity is missed. 

So it could go 'tits-up' - IMO a possible outcome, but maybe it won't pan out like that. PMA, mate - PMA.    

13 minutes ago, rumak said:

Nak muay .   Ok   two ways to look at this.  1. Hey,  give it a shot.  Not everything can be planned to the hilt,

visas, health insurance, etc etc.     Its up to each individual to decide the risk/reward for themself and take the responsiblities of their decision   2.  Don't do it because the odds are against you.  Many make the mistake of not planning for this and for that  etc etc.

My opinion :  From your responses you seem to handle suggestions and admonitions very well. This suggests a maturity on your part which I am sure will serve you well.  Personally I belong to the first group when looking back at my life.  I planned (somewhat)...but there was never any foolproof safety net . Many have succeeded this way, some have failed.  Following dreams or new lifestyles surely can involve risks... but to always avoid risks can lead to a boring and static life.   

And one more thing:   should you last 5 rounds don't ignore the best round of all :  the 6th round

Thank you all for the insight, kind words and criticisms. I signed up on here because I could tell that people wouldn't pull any punches so to speak. 

I'm trying to set myself up for success but of course I'm sure a million things that I don't forsee will come up. That's life. And I'm ready to tackle whatever comes my way head on.

I really appreciate you all taking times out of your days to read my long novel here and respond. 

13 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I hear what you are saying, but in Canada you do have some social safety net of disability, unemployment, and medical insurance in the event you were injured. In Thailand there is no such safety net, and unless you had adequate resources, you would likely be subject to unceremonious deportation.

After learning you are only 30, my advice would be to DEFINITELY reconsider relocating here. Your employment opportunities and earning potential is simply too restricted. At your age, there is a near 100% certainty that you will or want to relocate back home at some point in the future. An extended stay in Thailand at your age would almost certainly compromise your future earnings and career opportunities, both while in Thailand and were you to return home in the future. Access to education and training programs in Thailand would be very limited. This would rob you of the ability to learn new skills in order to transition into newly opened career fields in today's ever changing job market. You are on the cusp of entering your peak earning potential years. Don't throw that away on a lark.

My career in Canada is Muay Thai. Same as it would be in Thailand. Several years in Thailand would propel my career forward as I've gone to the homeland of the sport and learned first hand from the source. This has been my only career and job my entire life. I've been working in gyms here since I was 15.

My fallback plan in Canada is my degree. I have a 4 year degree in criminal justice/policing. That was my break fall and back up had fighting and starting my gym not panned out. When I made the decision to fight professionally I went to university beforehand and got a degree incase I sustained an injury fighting that would "retire" me from the sport. 

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Wish you luck, but always, always have a back up plan. Hopefully you either have or have access to somewhere to stay back home if it all goes *its up ! Too many people went to Thailand with big plans and ended up broke with nothing to return to.

The replies above, Work Permit and How can you stay here long time are very appropriate.  Do you have the age and monthly income or a very large savings to obtain a visa to stay in Thailand?  Unless you can show a monthly deposit in a Thai bank of 65,000+ baht if you are single you most likely will have a problem.  You may have noticed on various forums that things are rapidly changing for foreigners, money exchange rates are very bad, insurance issues under discussion now and much more.  Time for a VERY SERIOUS look before you leap.  The Land of Smiles is becoming the Land of Frowns for many.  About the work permit.  The Thais are very protective about who can do work that is normally done by Thais.  Al though there has been some changes to this in recent years, your expected employment may fall into the category reserved for Thai people.  One law firm in Bangkok, Integrity Legal has an American Managing Director.  They have a website where you can submit a general question as long as it does not require too much detail you should get a basic answer about this.  Coming here and working without the proper permit would not be a good thing.

20 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

PMA, mate, PMA

See, that's the thing. I get the importance of positive mental attitude. Believe it or not, I do. The problem is that I worry some people (not you) blithely dish out 'go for it' advice to others only because they want to bolster their own sense that they have a positive mental attitude, without fully weighing the ramifications their advice might have on another person's life.

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

See, that's the thing. I get the importance of positive mental attitude. Believe it or not, I do. The problem is that some people (not you) blithely dish out 'go for it' advice to others only because they want to bolster their own sense that they have a positive mental attitude, without fully weighing the ramifications their advice might have on another person's life.

PMA is everything, and I don't talk about the possibility of failure, as there are more than enough on this forum to do so.

10 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

My fallback plan in Canada is my degree. I have a 4 year degree in criminal justice/policing. That was my break fall and back up had fighting and starting my gym not panned out. When I made the decision to fight professionally I went to university beforehand and got a degree incase I sustained an injury fighting that would "retire" me from the sport. 

That was very reassuring to read, and my confidence in how well thought out your plan is just took a quantum leap forward. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

See, that's the thing. I get the importance of positive mental attitude. Believe it or not, I do. The problem is that some people (not you) blithely dish out 'go for it' advice to others only because they want to bolster their own sense that they have a positive mental attitude, without fully weighing the ramifications their advice might have on another person's life.

Yeah, I know only too well. I split up with my partner, because she wanted to fly like a bird. I set her 'free', knowing that life experience would stand her in good stead in the future. 

It panned out that way - she is now a much more mature person, who enjoyed every moment of her travels, and who is now prepared to use her life experience learning to help others.  

We remain close.

There's a good chance I'll fail I am well aware of that. Many people with vastly more money than me or life experience than me have went to Thailand and wound up broke, depressed or even dead. 

I'm not well off, I don't have family back here in Canada as I grew up in the system and all I've ever had to fall back on in my life is myself for the most part. I've always fully understood that I myself am directly responsible for my successes and my failures nobody else.

I have a Thai family there who I believe want to see me do well for no other reason than the fact that they have a wonderful relationship with my coach and want to offer me the same opportunities he had with his time in Thailand.

I've failed at alot of things in my life and maybe this is going to be one more of those times. But that twinkle in my eye and fire in my heart is the same that all of you had when you made the decision to move there. 

I like seeing the good posts and the bad because I have no expectations of this being easy or even pleasant at times. I'm willing to give up a good business I've built up and the stability of Canada to pack my life into a gym bag and move across the world. Not for a woman, not for cheap booze or a less expensive way of life in a mild climate. I've read tons of reasons why people originally decide to move to Thailand. I'm doing it because in my heart I know it's what I'm meant to do and I'll happily struggle every single day in Thailand to make that a reality. 

If I have enough to eat, somewhere to sleep and I can make even a 1% positive difference in that families life I'll break my back every day with a smile. 

2 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Not for a woman, not for cheap booze or a less expensive way of life in a mild climate.

You say this, and many guys have sworn the same on a stack of Bibles, only for the truth to be later revealed. Not asking for any testimonials, just emphasizing the importance of really getting in touch with one's true motives for making such a move.

7 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Any books you folks would recommend I read on the subject? I'm sure there's some good ones about the good, bad and ugly involved 

Not sure if it is still available but a book was once available that was provided to company management being transferred to Thailand to hopefully help them integrate into the Thai culture.  It is 'Culture Shock Thailand'.  Small but very informative.

9 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Been extorted by police officers, scammed by crooked cabbies, you name it. I've experienced first hand the corruption and gambling that goes along with Muay Thai. And I'm in no way deluded enough to believe that every Farang is beneficial to the country. I know the landscape is changing greatly I terms of foreign issues and the fact that some expats are slowly leaving. 

Sounds like you're making a great choice in moving to Thailand, then. There are other countries on the planet, you know.

36 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

This has been my only career and job my entire life. I've been working in gyms here since I was 15.

Op I am impressed by your writing skills. You have expressed yourself very well here.

At your age (30) I would think of your new life in Thailand more like planning a trip sailing around the world. At some point it has to end.

I planned my retirement to Thailand and you have to include inflation and health care and a list of other stuff. not easy to do unless you have a pile of cash. Many retired expats have been forced out with the new financial requirements for a retirement "visa". 

So I say follow your dream but from day one be planning your return to Canada. The is not negative thinking, just common sense. 

Do you have a clear understanding from your friends who do the same type of work in Thailand how they are able to do it?

What happens when you are 40, and fall in love with a nice Thai woman?

are you going to live like a monk for the rest of your life?

if you told me when I was 30 I would be living in Thailand at 63 I would have said you were crazy.

Archived