Ready to make the jump to Thailand

Yeah I've

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

You say this, and many guys have sworn the same on a stack of Bibles, only for the truth to be later revealed. Not asking for any testimonials, just emphasizing the importance of really getting in touch with one's true motives for making such a move.

Yeah I've seen that first hand in Canada many times lol. I understand exactly what you mean 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gecko123 said:

You say this, and many guys have sworn the same on a stack of Bibles, only for the truth to be later revealed. Not asking for any testimonials, just emphasizing the importance of really getting in touch with one's true motives for making such a move.

The climate I fully agree with.  But, you are a young man and although you have visited before you may not be aware of some of the pitfalls many many westerners have made and still make daily.  Yes, to be sure there are many beautiful Thai ladies that could and do make wonderful wives.  But, while many can be a lot of great fun and happiness for a while you must find one who is at your intellectual level if you want to be able to talk with her about more than the now high cost of pork and rice at the market.  Unless educated well beyond their basic 10-12 years you may have little in common to discuss.  Beware also of what comes with marriage or even a long term relationship with some Thai girls.  You may get a family obligation becoming the defacto bread winner for her immediate and even extended family members.  If she does not support her family with your money as they ask she loses 'face', a very bad thing for all Thais.  About having a less expensive place to live.  Yes. 20-25 years ago but now my costs to maintain the lifestyle I have always been accustomed to are as much or more here than when I lived in the USA.  Good luck but think twice before making a move it could be impossible to back out of.

17 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Op I am impressed by your writing skills. You have expressed yourself very well here.

At your age (30) I would think of your new life in Thailand more like planning a trip sailing around the world. At some point it has to end.

I planned my retirement to Thailand and you have to include inflation and health care and a list of other stuff. not easy to do unless you have a pile of cash. Many retired expats have been forced out with the new financial requirements for a retirement "visa". 

So I say follow your dream but from day one be planning your return to Canada. The is not negative thinking, just common sense. 

Do you have a clear understanding from your friends who do the same type of work in Thailand how they are able to do it?

What happens when you are 40, and fall in love with a nice Thai woman?

are you going to live like a monk for the rest of your life?

if you told me when I was 30 I would be living in Thailand at 63 I would have said you were crazy.

That's a very good point you bring up and something I would have to plan to be prepared for as it comes. Once I'm too old to fight, or get injured, or if I can't for some reason hack it any longer I would definitely have to have a way to support myself and this lovely Thai woman you speak of down the road. 

I've got alot of ideas I want to slowly work towards in terms of other ways to support myself with Muay Thai in Thailand that don't involve me stepping into a ring anymore. Online instructional videos done from a Thai's point of view, some instructional books, potential excursions and Muay Thai retreats to gyms and trainers people would never normally find or see. Lots of small projects I've worked on for a while now could pan out well with work and time. 

I had never thought about meeting a Thai woman and bringing her back to Canada someday with me but maybe that would happen. So I shouldn't say that I'm hell bent on spending every day in Thailand until I take my last breath. I am hell bent on spending my last viable years as an athlete in Thailand fighting as often as possible, training, learning and helping others. All the while sticking as close to a traditional way of life as possible. 

I've done my time in Phuket, Samui, Bangkok etc. I've probably spent 8 months total at each over the years. That crowd and way of life isn't what I want. Although they are all amazing in their own way and have various aspects that make them beautiful they are not appealing in my opinion. I turned down multiple gyms offering to sponsor me in Phuket simply because of the lifestyle that comes along with being 30 years old and single in Phuket. Was fun when I was 18. Not so much my speed now. 

Every day I'm there and healthy is one day closer to reaching the goal I've sought out to achieve. Maybe I last a month, a year or a decade but I'm not going to be able to live another 30 years knowing I helped everyone else chase and follow their own dreams but didn't have the balls to practice what I preach to my students and fighters and follow my own. 

43 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:
50 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Not for a woman, not for cheap booze or a less expensive way of life in a mild climate.

The longer I was here and the wiser I became the more I realized the importance of buying better booze.

Not quite as easy to figure out the women situation, i'm afraid

what NCC and Gecko point out does make a lot of sense.  The OP says he understands but some of us know that things (almost) never go as planned.   I came here in my 30's and  moved back (to the states) and forth 3 times before my feet stuck here.   We all have different paths....  just how well one navigates them (and maybe some good luck) will determine how well one arrives at old age.   

OP can always go back to Canada..... maybe give up some years and opportunities in the process.  I think he accepts this.

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

what NCC and Gecko point out does make a lot of sense.  The OP says he understands but some of us know that things (almost) never go as planned.   I came here in my 30's and  moved back (to the states) and forth 3 times before my feet stuck here.   We all have different paths....  just how well one navigates them (and maybe some good luck) will determine how well one arrives at old age.   

OP can always go back to Canada..... maybe give up some years and opportunities in the process.  I think he accepts this.

There's certainly more red tape than I expected. My first trips when I was much younger were easier but times are changing everywhere I guess.

With all the laws changing, and tourism decreasing what happens when that finally crashes? The Thai government will loosen up the laws and red tape for another ten years to get tourists and expats back and end up back in the same situation? There seems to be very little middle ground. 

The education visa is what will allow me to stay for the first 12 months I was already given the green flag for that. Between now and then I will do my due diligence to see how I can get a visa to work after the fact

You’ll always find people eager to tell you what you can’t do or what you shouldn’t do with a long list of how you may stub your toe or get a serious  paper cut.  I moved here at the age of 23 and I’m still here at 65. 

It hasn’t always been smooth sailing but stormy weather can hone your skills and get you to your destination quicker.

I met a guy who was very much like you at a family party in the village. His passion for what he did was contagious but not something I would fancy doing. Trust yourself and keep your own counsel.

Living here is very, very, different than visiting for a couple of months.

Think very carefully before you sell up all your stuff in Canada

My advice, keep everything you have in Canada, come here for a year and test it.

2 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

Living here is very, very, different than visiting for a couple of months.

Think very carefully before you sell up all your stuff in Canada

My advice, keep everything you have in Canada, come here for a year and test it.

Other than my gym I don't have much stuff. The upside to that is its not hard to replace if I have to move back. 

My career isn't changing anytime soon. I'm too good at what I do here to suddenly do something else. If I got a desk job I'd just be harassed by gym owners to go teach for them. So I suppose that's fortunate. If I moved to Thailand for 3 years for example and had to go back to Canada I'd have a job waiting for me at the gym of my choice when I got off the plane 

31 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

You’ll always find people eager to tell you what you can’t do or what you shouldn’t do with a long list of how you may stub your toe or get a serious  paper cut.  I moved here at the age of 23 and I’m still here at 65. 

It hasn’t always been smooth sailing but stormy weather can hone your skills and get you to your destination quicker.

I met a guy who was very much like you at a family party in the village. His passion for what he did was contagious but not something I would fancy doing. Trust yourself and keep your own counsel.

Thailand must have been something to see back then. I can only imagine. 

I think the stormy weather will make the journey mean that much more. Hell, if it was easy every idiot Muay Thai fighter in Canada would be doing this. Instead it's just this idiot. 

Thoen is something like 90 km south of Lampang and I can't remember the last time I drove through there.  Lampang is a nice little town but it is already a five hour drive from where I live and we always come in from the north so no idea about Thoen, these days.  I think the buses from Chiang Mai to Bangkok used to stop there.  I believe Ken lives much closer to that area.

I am guessing there won't be a lot to distract you from your training.????‍♂️

7 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I appreciate the kind words. It's nice reading peoples thoughts and input. Thank you 

There are too many pages already, so I can't read all the posts... 

Anyway, I would advise you to visit the local police station, shortly after your arrival, with your Thai friend, and offer free lessons to the members of the force. 

They will really appreciate it, even if probably few will attend in the end, and most importantly they will have your back. 

I knew a guy who was teaching MMA, and he was doing exactly that... no problem for him. 

Outside the farang areas, such as Pattaya, Phuket or Samui, the Thai people generally love to have a farang doing something Thai, that makes them proud. 

I wouldn't expect you to face many difficulties, on the contrary... 

Oh dear, think twice. You will be always a Farang, never an equal part of their community, even you think you know all about Thailand and culture. 

Thailand at present will not welcome Westerners for long stay, at least the army is ruling. 

2-3 months a year for holidays probably will give you more happiness than fighting for living here. 

Stay in Canada 

11 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Thoen is something like 90 km south of Lampang and I can't remember the last time I drove through there.  Lampang is a nice little town but it is already a five hour drive from where I live and we always come in from the north so no idea about Thoen, these days.  I think the buses from Chiang Mai to Bangkok used to stop there.  I believe Ken lives much closer to that area.

I am guessing there won't be a lot to distract you from your training.????‍♂️

Ken has been incredible. I don't have enough good things to say about how helpful he is 

I think it's the perfect place to get used to the way of life, learn the language and get my feet wet 

Stop and think mate. Your plan isn't nailed down. You have to pay more attention to your healthcare and how you're going to pay for it. You're 30 years old and going to participate in a sport in a country where it originated (I suppose). You'd be at the end of your career if you'd been a Thai national if you'd been good enough to fight that long. You aren't going to be fighting to a decent standard for another 6/7 years so don't kid yourself. I think you said the average age of a MT boxer was 22 (or did I just dream that), there's a good reason for that. Have a read of a previous thread.

I totally get the thing about living a frugal lifestyle  and committed to something you so obviously love but your plan is flawed. Think about the work permit issue others have mentioned (I'm no expert but others are on here).

You have to nail these 2 things down, healthcare and work permit/visa. You have to do the groundwork and know exactly how you're going to do these things.

Know and understand exactly what the plan is for when you're not up to fighting any more and how you want to evolve that plan, teaching and training etc.

Having said all that, I wish you well and don't forget to let us all know how it pans out.

OP:

Let me take another stab at this from another angle. The ladies.

I'm no expert on visas, and maybe you'll find some way to thread the needle, but as far as I can tell someone in your age group is going to struggle to stay in Thailand long-term visa wise. The big exception would be if you got married. In other words, you would have a strong incentive to marry a Thai woman as a solution to your visa problems. Needless to say, that's not the healthiest motive in the world to get married.

I also think you would benefit from spending an hour or two (or more) lying on your back in bed staring at the ceiling, thinking about the larger long term arc of your life and what you want that to look like. Are things like starting a family, home ownership, having a comfortable retirement important to you? You are in your prime in terms of dating and finding a mate. Moving to Thailand is going to affect your dating and mating options, largely limiting your selection to Thai women. Something to think about, right?

I also want to tell you something about finding a good, wholesome, young, sexy, college educated woman with high religious and moral character, family values, and so on and so forth. Yes, they most certainly are out there, and, yes, you are young and physically fit, and compared to the codgers you typically see haunting beer bars you are probably used to being the belle of the ball, but just a word of caution. It's not as easy as it might look or have been led to believe to move into a Thai small town or village and just start "dating" local women. Anyway, having lived in small town Thailand for 15+ years that's my impression. Typically,  women who go off to college find work after graduation in big cities and never come back to live in their small home towns. Most small towns in Thailand are demographic wastelands in terms of unmarried 25-40 y/o women with no children. Inhibited by the watchful eyes and gossipy tongues of family and neighbors, many women are far less open to casual dating, especially with a foreigner, than you might imagine. Especially if your Thai is rudimentary, this leaves you vulnerable to seeking refuge in Chiang Mai's red light districts. I know, I know, Mr. Negative strikes again. But to all the PMAers out there: tell me one word that's not true.

I also wanted to share with you an anecdote about dropping off the grid and re-entering the work force. I am a baby boomer, so there were tons and tons of baby boomers entering the work force every year for decades. The boomers who entered the work force the earliest and started advancing up the corporate ladder had a big advantage over those who entered the work force later because they were competing with far fewer people for advancement and had gained the most experience.

I was forced to interrupt my college education for two years because of family finances, and I also studied an extra year as well, which delayed my entry into the work force. Instead of being a 23-24 y/o fresh-faced recent college graduate, I was in my late 20's, and I always felt that this didn't help my career prospects. Were you to move to Thailand for 10 years, and then return to Canada and find a job in law enforcement at the age of 40, your peer group of 40 something officers would have 10 years of experience under their belts in comparison to your rookie status. You would have to be a superstar to ever overcome that deficit in work experience.

Just more food for thought.

Some several years ago, I was interested in finding out more information about spending half my year in Thailand..., purchasing property, maybe business etc etc. However, It became evident(even back then) that things were changing for the worse..., any possible and/or partial relocation would be fraught with increasing problems. My decision on balance was to stay debt free and "home on the farm"..., in Australia..., where the weather is much more comfortable(and there's a choice of climates)...., the environment is comparatively unpolluted..., and, the existing financial situation(as bad as it sometimes might seem) is comparatively predictable and fair. Also In Australia, I get to retain 24/7 and 360 degrees of choices..., and I retain the choice to visit LOS, and other S/E Asian countries, whenever and wherever I want. No way in the known world would I give up my home and the choices that come with it. 
On a different note....., I can understand why those who come from places of less clement weather might like to relocate to LOS !  ..., and yes, I get that it may not be about the weather. ???? 

6 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I think it's the perfect place to get used to the way of life, learn the language and get my feet wet

In my book it's pretty much nonsense that moving to small town Thailand is a good way to become fluent in Thai. I have never known ANY foreigner to become proficient in Thai in rural Thailand when they tried to pick up the language cold from scratch. They almost never progress beyond awkward transactional and small talk exchanges. You can't learn Thai by osmosis. In order to become proficient you need to spend a lot of solo time learning the written alphabet, the tonal system, and the grammar. Without a solid handle on the written alphabet your pronunciation will remain poor and your vocabulary rudimentary. The reason I say your vocabulary will remain rudimentary is because all Thai-English dictionaries beyond the phrase book or elementary level require an ability to read the Thai alphabet.

If you already have the basics under your belt, yes, an area where English is not widely spoken can provide a helpful total immersion environment. But without a solid foundation in Thai beforehand, from a language acquisition standpoint, small town Thailand is a disaster. The locals are all native speakers, but people who can properly explain the language to you in English are few and far between, lack experience in teaching non-native learners, and generally cannot guide you in terms of selecting bi-lingual learning resources. You also encounter a lot of colloquialisms and rustic dialect which will confuse a beginning student. Many locals have limited patience or interest in helping you pick up the language.

It's also a fallacy that you can master Thai 'between the sheets' by simply finding yourself a Thai girlfriend. More often than not, if you didn't already speak Thai, English will remain the dominant language in your relationship. The girlfriend can help with translation and picking up words, phrases and idioms here and there, but unless the guy is ready to do the heavy lifting which serious study entails, just having a Thai girlfriend is not going to provide a magic carpet ride to fluency land.

To put this in perspective, despite studying the language diligently for nine years before moving here (1994-2003), I still struggled to communicate smoothly with towns folk for many years, and most of the progress I made after moving here came from self-study and Thai language TV viewing, and then practicing what had been gained through self-study with others.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, Nakmuay887 said:

Also I would have enough money selling my gym here to get an elite visa if it comes to that for me being able to stay long term 

Don't waste money on the Elite visa.  It isn't worth it long term.  Keep that money in the bank in Canada.  You need to be able to get a visa based on your own merits whether that is a an ED visa or hopefully a work permit and one year visa.  

3 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Stop and think mate. Your plan isn't nailed down. You have to pay more attention to your healthcare and how you're going to pay for it. You're 30 years old and going to participate in a sport in a country where it originated (I suppose). You'd be at the end of your career if you'd been a Thai national if you'd been good enough to fight that long. You aren't going to be fighting to a decent standard for another 6/7 years so don't kid yourself. I think you said the average age of a MT boxer was 22 (or did I just dream that), there's a good reason for that. Have a read of a previous thread.

I totally get the thing about living a frugal lifestyle  and committed to something you so obviously love but your plan is flawed. Think about the work permit issue others have mentioned (I'm no expert but others are on here).

You have to nail these 2 things down, healthcare and work permit/visa. You have to do the groundwork and know exactly how you're going to do these things.

Know and understand exactly what the plan is for when you're not up to fighting any more and how you want to evolve that plan, teaching and training etc.

Having said all that, I wish you well and don't forget to let us all know how it pans out.

Their careers end before 30 because they have had anywhere from 150-300 professional Thai boxing fights by that age with limited health care in terms of rehabbing their bodies. 

My last trip to Bangkok (4 months ago) I fought 4x in 6 weeks, winning all 4, 3 of which by Knockout. My oldest opponent was 27 and looked 40. The other 3 were 18, 21, and 22. You can't Guage an athletic career off of a forum post. I'm fighting better at 31 than I ever did in my twenties. 

The average age in Australia or England for a world champion at the highest level is 34.

Not trying to come across as hostile or confrontational but that's just silly to think of such a thing. I don't know what you do or did for your career but I'm going to immediately know more than you about it by typing "Muay Thai retirement age" into Google.. Once I start slowing down and losing a step we can check my age and find the average. 

I understand the career of a prize fighter. I've been heading back and fighting at the same stadiums in Thailand for the last 15 years. I'm absolutely "Ancient" though so I must be fighting tuk tuk drivers. The thread you posted was from someone who had no idea of Muay Thai and was looking at it from a Thai perspective. I'm a 2x amateur world champion. 3x national champion and have held 4 smaller stadium belts in Thailand in the last decade. I didn't come to Thailand and discover Thai boxing. I was a dozen Jr fights into my career when I first landed in BKK 

The visa is my biggest concern without a doubt. I will continue to do my due diligence before I make the move without a doubt. The ED visa will be my first year with extensions. I'm sorting out the work visa now. 

I secured two sponsors that will be giving me 2500$ Canadian a month for the first 16 months I'm there so that will help keep me a float in emergencies. It will all be going into an account not being touched as ill have enough to live off the first year simply fighting as the family is feeding and sheltering me. I'll look into an online business that I could run as it's an instructional video series and it would employ Thai's as they are the ones who will be in the videos. I spoke to an attorney via email email this evening who's located in Thailand and I will be hiring him to help me with making sure all my bases are covered that first year and the following years if I stay longer. 

I'll be retaining enough equipment in Canada and will store it a friends house in his attic. If something unforseen happens and I fail in Thailand I will have enough back in Canada to open up another gym doing the same thing I am doing now 

Dude, don't listen to the naysayers and non risk takers (plenty on this forum).

Life is what you make it and we all live only once.

I reckon you are "already to make the jump".

I moved here aged 43, ran out of proper money 10 year later, still here after 16 years. Have great Thai family & friends around me, kids go to decent schools (& university), food in the fridge and beer on the table. No debt and everything paid for.

Best of luck.

I haven't read all the posts but I side with the ones telling you to go for it. It sounds like you have done a lot of prep work--certainly a lot more than I did before I moved to Thailand permanently in 2010.  I like that you have education in a career that you can fall back on if need be.

I think too many--me included--took the safe path in life and worked a job that paid the bills but wasn't necessarily their dream career.  In my case, I've sort of gotten lucky here and I've had a chance to do what I would have loved doing my whole career--the past 9 years here have been very fun, interesting, and satisfying.

So, I say don't take the safe path; take the path that you will find fun, interesting, and satisfying.  I hope all goes well for you.  Good luck. 

I haven't read all the posts but I side with the ones telling you to go for it. It sounds like you have done a lot of prep work--certainly a lot more than I did before I moved to Thailand permanently in 2010.  I like that you have education in a career that you can fall back on if need be.
     I think too many--me included--took the safe path in life and worked a job that paid the bills but wasn't necessarily their dream career.  In my case, I've sort of gotten lucky here and I've had a chance to do what I would have loved doing my whole career--the past 9 years here have been very fun, interesting, and satisfying.
     So, I say don't take the safe path; take the path that you will find fun, interesting, and satisfying.  I hope all goes well for you.  Good luck. 

Yes, totally agree with all the sentiment above .

The OP comes across as someone with a passion for his sport and now has the chance of living that passion with the added bonus of living a Thai lifestyle that he yearns for too .

He has the experience and foresight to understand that his fighting days are limited and that he has a fallback situation back in Canada if he needs it .

Go for it man , live your life !!
Who wouldn’t with the chances he has available ??

The visa situation is the only big stumbling block I can see but as he has a year ED visa nailed on he has time to sort the long term options out .

Drove through and stopped in Lampang a few times, looks like a decent city , great strawberries [emoji51]

Archived