Ready to make the jump to Thailand

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:53 AM, Nakmuay887 said:

I got up that night and went and slept back near the ring in the hut with the rest of them. They looked at me like I was absolutely insane and nothing was ever said about it.

That won't make any difference with anyone outside your immediate associates. To official Thaidom, which is with whom you will be dealing to live long time in LOS you are just another farang. To the police you will be just another farang. To every Thai you meet outside your immediate associates you will be just another farang.

I hope you used a mossy net doing that. Dengue fever ( day time mossies ) is endemic in Thailand. There is no cure and no prophylactic.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/7/2019 at 7:53 PM, Nakmuay887 said:

I would never put myself in the situation where that could happen. I don't intend to break any laws no matter how minor. Anything I will do over there will be done legally with the proper paperwork. 

Wont be possible.. The work permit will require income, official place of employment, taxes, etc etc which will be highly burdensome and real world impossible to obtain. 

So your either going to get used to the idea your doing it under the table or need a radical rethink.. 

6 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

@thaibeachlovers  I think you are being way too negative and you are asking questions which the OP has already answered earlier in the topic.  Every situation is different and I think he has a good chance of making it work until he decides to do the next thing.

I disagree fundamentally with you. I think he's being unrealistic. This forum may be the only place he gets some realistic replies. Are you going to help him out if it all turns to poo? I visited and lived in Thailand for decades yet I still got it wrong on occasion.

Eg. he wants to live in Lampang and thinks it's in the middle of nowhere. He thought he could work on an Ed visa.

Thailand is not like it was 30 years ago when it was easy to live there.

Please don't tell me what questions I can or can not ask. The OP can do that if he doesn't like them.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, Nakmuay887 said:

Any books you folks would recommend I read on the subject? I'm sure there's some good ones about the good, bad and ugly involved 

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/234479.Mai_Pen_Rai_Means_Never_Mind

Brilliant book by someone lived there and learned to read, write, speak Thai.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/677626.Private_Dancer

recommended by many.

Many many books can be found in an Asia Books store about life, love and the trials of Thailand by those that have lived the dream.

Your fight will be a continuous one with Immigration.  There are NO rules, Immigration invents/applies or responds based on the particular mood at the specific office - "consistently inconsistent" is Immigrations law here.  Second, god gave you one body, look after it.  Muay Thai, no matter how good your genes are, will eventually so signs of abuse.  Be careful, you love the sport, but it will not be as kind in return as the years progress.  I know, right know you're young, and your will is invincible because of your talent and youth, but it will NOT last.  Make plans NOW for your later years.  This is where the medical and quality of life comes in.  I would keep the business going especially if it's profitable in Canada for many reasons, but it's up to you and your GOD.  Lastly, save & invest.  You have the most priceless commodity - TIME.  Use it wisely for you.  Einstein said: "compound interest is mans greatest invention". Apply it!  Ie; Think RRSP!  Don't be a broken prize fighter in your later years - unless that is your path you desire. Good luck.   

cfe4475d52ad1a018ab3afb035a680ac.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, Nakmuay887 said:

I felt as though I may get my head chewed off by some posters as I'm not wealthy or with enough in the bank to retire on. Although I'm planning to move here to give myself what I consider to be a better life some may view it as me making a poor decision or one that is unwise. So I'm trying to reiterate the point I know it will be difficult. It's not going to be sunshine and rainbows all the time. I'm ok with that 

I don't think anyone wants to chew your head off, but many of us know what can happen, and you did ask.

The truth may not be what you want to hear, but most that make a go of it worked till we could get a long term visa ( not an ed visa ) and didn't try to work in LOS after we moved there. Some are lucky, but many go home broken or broke. Some never go home at all, having killed themselves in Pattaya, which is where the comments about Pattaya balconies comes from.

Don't get me wrong. I waited and worked 10 years to live in LOS, as I loved the place, which I visited for decades, but in the end a Thai woman did me in and I too went home broke and broken.

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

he wants to live in Lampang and thinks it's in the middle of nowhere

There is the city of Lampang but that is also the name of the Province... He will be in Thoen, a more rural and very friendly traditional area that is about an hours drive south of Lampang City, but still in Lampang Province. 

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, Gecko123 said:

The "go for it" brigade appears to have won the day, and it's pretty clear that the OP's mind is made up.

While I fully understand the appeal of taking a one or two year sabbatical to the homeland of muay thai, my confusion and reservations about the long term viability and advisability of trying to move to Thailand indefinitely in your circumstances remain.

I worry that a number of posters who advocate charging forward are over-relying on their own nostalgic memories of past adventures, seemingly having forgotten that the travel environment has changed dramatically since then. In the past one could do endless border-run visa renewals without ever being asked to show means of support, and could walk into just about any school and get hired as an English teacher on the spot. With few of these 'survival mode' options available today, thinking you can just wing it seems a little half-baked to me.

I would just like to hear from you or anyone else what your long-term plan regarding visas, finances, and employment might look like. Perhaps it's a failure of imagination on my part, but I continue to struggle to visualize this.

I do wish you the best, and above all, stay safe.

Excellent post.

It's easy to say "go for it" when one doesn't have to deal with a bad aftermath.

"'Nuff said", to quote someone that found out the hard way that Thailand is good at kicking farangs in the nuts no matter how much they know or how long they have been in LOS.

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

There is the city of Lampang but that is also the name of the Province... He will be in Thoen, a more rural and very friendly traditional area that is about an hours drive south of Lampang City, but still in Lampang Province. 

It was on the way to the village so I must have driven through it, or past it many times, but I don't remember it.

Apologies for getting it wrong.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, Nakmuay887 said:

My career in Canada is Muay Thai. Same as it would be in Thailand. Several years in Thailand would propel my career forward as I've gone to the homeland of the sport and learned first hand from the source. This has been my only career and job my entire life. I've been working in gyms here since I was 15.

My fallback plan in Canada is my degree. I have a 4 year degree in criminal justice/policing. That was my break fall and back up had fighting and starting my gym not panned out. When I made the decision to fight professionally I went to university beforehand and got a degree incase I sustained an injury fighting that would "retire" me from the sport. 

You can only have a "career" in Thailand if it is an approved work for a work permit. I don't know if it is included on the list or not, so that will be for you to find out- google is your friend. If it isn't, you either work illegally, or don't work at all. Immigration jail is no fun at all.

Oh, the art of sparring.   Sometimes it even turns a little nasty.   Love it   I am itching to get in the fray... but gotta remember my new years resolution  haha     Two geckos on the wall .  One I like and one that drives me up it .     They never let go ( or so the saying goes)

But I can cheer a little.  right elbow   left knee  cmon 123

Living here is different to visiting LOS and coming back home.

I have no idea how your Muay Thai will help you to have the right type of visa and of course, a work permit.

Let's say you come on an ED visa; then you're not allowed to work. On the other hand, you can't have more than two or three tourist visas.

The paperwork to make you legal might be way too tricky for your host. Even when you'll have free food and a place to stay, you'll need money.

Life can be pretty bitc_y, and falling in love with the wrong girl could give you a tough time.

In the long run, being married would be the easiest way to get a visa, or extension of stay. But finding the right girl is like finding a needle in the haystack.

What kind of insurance will you be able to pay for in the long run?

You've got to let the insurance company know what you're doing, which makes insurance incredibly expensive, or impossible to find. 

You'll need a vehicle to get around, have you heard how dangerous it is to drive here?

Even after 17 years, it's a daily struggle to get from A to B, without having an accident.

Be aware that this country and its people have changed a lot. The smiles are almost gone, and only some fishy ones are left.

So, you can't work on an ED visa, but you need to be legal. You can't be an official Muay Thai trainer if a Thai can do that. 

Where does that leave you? Just come to Thailand and give it a try. The worst-case scenario would be that you've got to go back to your country. Not a big deal, or?

One more problem might be that you're also getting older and there'll be the day when others receive their pension.

Will you continue to pay into the social system of your country to be able to have a retirement income in the future?

It's sad that Thailand has changed so much that more and more good people have left, or will leave soon.

I have no idea how bored you will be after a few months living in the sticks, but you seem to have enough positive energy to give it a try.

OP, please read a couple of threads about Thailand in general, you won't find too many positive ones because there's nothing that has changed in favor of foreigners who're trying to make a living in LOS. 

Being a native speaker with a degree, you could always teach English and then do other things as a sport?

Not exactly what you had in mind but it depends on how much you want(need) to live in Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Living here is different to visiting LOS and coming back home.

I have no idea how your Muay Thai will help you to have the right type of visa and of course, a work permit.

Let's say you come on an ED visa; then you're not allowed to work. On the other hand, you can't have more than two or three tourist visas.

The paperwork to make you legal might be way too tricky for your host. Even when you'll have free food and a place to stay, you'll need money.

Life can be pretty bitc_y, and falling in love with the wrong girl could give you a tough time.

In the long run, being married would be the easiest way to get a visa, or extension of stay. But finding the right girl is like finding a needle in the haystack.

What kind of insurance will you be able to pay for in the long run?

You've got to let the insurance company know what you're doing, which makes insurance incredibly expensive, or impossible to find. 

You'll need a vehicle to get around, have you heard how dangerous it is to drive here?

Even after 17 years, it's a daily struggle to get from A to B, without having an accident.

Be aware that this country and its people have changed a lot. The smiles are almost gone, and only some fishy ones are left.

So, you can't work on an ED visa, but you need to be legal. You can't be an official Muay Thai trainer if a Thai can do that. 

Where does that leave you? Just come to Thailand and give it a try. The worst-case scenario would be that you've got to go back to your country. Not a big deal, or?

One more problem might be that you're also getting older and there'll be the day when others receive their pension.

Will you continue to pay into the social system of your country to be able to have a retirement income in the future?

It's sad that Thailand has changed so much that more and more good people have left, or will leave soon.

I have no idea how bored you will be after a few months living in the sticks, but you seem to have enough positive energy to give it a try.

OP, please read a couple of threads about Thailand in general, you won't find too many positive ones because there's nothing that has changed in favor of foreigners who're trying to make a living in LOS. 

IsaanBiker is one of the best contributors here.  Listen to him and learn, or don't and find out the hard way.  I/we can only recommend for you to take the path of least resistance. The rest is your choice between you and your god... 

Canadians like yourself are spoiled by Canadian Healthcare. I wouldn't be so fast to say that Thailand feels more like home than Canada. I'm saying this with best intentions and your well being as people get arrogant over time and lose the sense of reality. That's normal. 

Even if you get good insurance here nothing can compare with Healthcare in Canada. Many will say otherwise and indeed there are some great hospitals here, but never forget you are still dealing with face saving Thai doctors most of the time. 

To the OP.  Why not grow your business in Canada; increase your savings/retirement/and passive income.  You can visit Thailand as much as you want.  Plus, there is your Plan B if things for whatever reason change to where you do not want to remain in Thailand as much as you wished.  If your business becomes more successful that means more cash; Cash is King = OPTIONS and that is awesome.  However, it maybe that cash and the business are not as important, because it is something else you seek....

Nakmuay887:

I missed your earlier post where you told the story about sleeping outside near the training facilities in lieu of the air-conditioned room you were offered. I know you told that story to illustrate your devotion to your sport, and how you were able to bond and gain the respect of the others in the training camp. All fine and good, but what that story also made me do is suspect anew that you are in the grips of a feverish dream about moving to Thailand which is very likely clouding your overall judgment. Specifically, you are paying too little attention to the big and intermediate/long-term picture.

If I can take the liberty of turning your plan into a cartoon cariacature of itself, you plan to run off to Rocky Balboa's jungle training camp, maybe meet Mr. Miyagi (Karate Kid) who will share with you some never before seen martial arts moves and ancient fight philosophy, and you'll use this newfound knowledge to catapulte yourself to the Thai boxing championship of the world. And if that doesn't work out, your stint in Lampang studying Thai boxing will still be worthwhile because of the cachet study in Thailand will provide in the boxing world, and it might even look good on a law enforcement resume as well. If it seems I'm being disrespectful, it's only to make a point.

So let me just tear this apart, like your father might. You said you've already won several Canadian kick boxing titles, right? Do you really think that working at a dinky gym in the suburbs of Lampang you're going to receive training which is going to materially advance your kickboxing technical skills? Ok, I understand, you're gonna periodically compete as well, and that'll help keep your competitive edge, right?

But see, right there, already, for me it starts going off the rails. You're going to be engaged in a sport where blows to the head are not uncommon. You think your crappy medical insurance policy is going to be paying for you to be medevaced down to Bangkok where you'll be given the latest concussion protocols and therapies? I know Lampang and Chiang Mai have large hospitals, but there's a good chance that in the event of a very serious injury you might have to go down to Bangkok for medical care and chances are after you read the fine print on your insurance policy, a lot of the cost is going to be out-of-pocket. They'll be fanning you with a towel, telling you "mai pen rai", giving you a couple of paracetemols, and telling you to call the doctor in the morning if you still feel dizzy. You're taking a huge medical risk, dude, and don't let these Dennis Hopper (Easy Rider) types tell you otherwise.

You made it sound like you got some witch's brew of soul brother, uptown funk, black magic woman, and snake blood flowing in your veins which helps you bond with the hommies down in the training camp, and they'll always have your back. Delusional thinking alert. What if one of your junior-high-school-dropout sparing partners decides you would be a nice notch to have on their belt and accidentally-on-purpose clocks you? You know, take 'teach out? I know Thai men better than you, buddy, and if you think that could never happen because you're a natural born Eminem style 'hood rat, you're kidding yourself.

Let's go back to the long range plans. A touchy subject, as well it should be. Your ED visa expires. After that, everything turns into an endless maze of uncertainty (not to mention questionable legality). I've already covered this ground, not gonna rehash it.

I have this feeling that you're gripped in a feverish dream which is stopping you from rationally assessing the overall plan. People have already, and are going to again chime in to tell you that it doesn't matter, but when you're talking about things like visas, work permits, medical care, employment opportunites, it does matter.

I'm also sensing that you haven't been completely honest with yourself or us about all your motives for (a) leaving Canada, and (b) wanting to come live in Thailand. You've said the ladies aren't a factor, but your feverish determination to move here at all costs makes me wonder if there isn't anything in Canada you are running away from, or whether you have been fully honest with yourself about any extra-curricular motivations you might have for moving to Thailand. Not calling for you to pull the ejection seat lever, just calling for renewed rounds of thought and reflection.

This is a very good thread with many excellent posts presenting both sides of the argument..

I must admit that initially I was pretty ambivalent but maybe that is because I have forgotten what it is like to be young.

Then I recalled that I left my country at the age of 19 and lived and worked in London for four years and had a ball.

So,on balance,I would say-go for it and best of luck to you.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The above may be of interest to the OP given his stated intention of starting a business in LOS.

Whats the point in quoting cambodian labour law changes at the man ??? 

He has enough problems with the Thai law. 

Sorry for not posting much I have been working alot at getting things in order etc. 

The ED visa was my first idea in terms of staying for a long period, there are still ways to make that work as I can do a combates class weekly in Chiang Mai that would qualify me for one. 

Looking at the option of getting the papers and certificate needed to teach and tutor English as a second option. The family also owns a ring business and one of the partners is a high up at the Muay Thai Council overseeing all of Thailand. Business is registered etc, so we are looking at that for a work permit as well. 

The other option is the Thai elite Visa if it comes down to that. 

I've been working at this tirelessly since I first posted this topic. Probably 5 hours a day is just preparing for Thailand. There's definitely a lot of red tape but I also see a ton of different solutions and options here as well 

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Nakmuay887:

I missed your earlier post where you told the story about sleeping outside near the training facilities in lieu of the air-conditioned room you were offered. I know you told that story to illustrate your devotion to your sport, and how you were able to bond and gain the respect of the others in the training camp. All fine and good, but what that story also made me do is suspect anew that you are in the grips of a feverish dream about moving to Thailand which is very likely clouding your overall judgment. Specifically, you are paying too little attention to the big and intermediate/long-term picture.

If I can take the liberty of turning your plan into a cartoon cariacature of itself, you plan to run off to Rocky Balboa's jungle training camp, maybe meet Mr. Miyagi (Karate Kid) who will share with you some never before seen martial arts moves and ancient fight philosophy, and you'll use this newfound knowledge to catapulte yourself to the Thai boxing championship of the world. And if that doesn't work out, your stint in Lampang studying Thai boxing will still be worthwhile because of the cachet study in Thailand will provide in the boxing world, and it might even look good on a law enforcement resume as well. If it seems I'm being disrespectful, it's only to make a point.

So let me just tear this apart, like your father might. You said you've already won several Canadian kick boxing titles, right? Do you really think that working at a dinky gym in the suburbs of Lampang you're going to receive training which is going to materially advance your kickboxing technical skills? Ok, I understand, you're gonna periodically compete as well, and that'll help keep your competitive edge, right?

But see, right there, already, for me it starts going off the rails. You're going to be engaged in a sport where blows to the head are not uncommon. You think your crappy medical insurance policy is going to be paying for you to be medevaced down to Bangkok where you'll be given the latest concussion protocols and therapies? I know Lampang and Chiang Mai have large hospitals, but there's a good chance that in the event of a very serious injury you might have to go down to Bangkok for medical care and chances are after you read the fine print on your insurance policy, a lot of the cost is going to be out-of-pocket. They'll be fanning you with a towel, telling you "mai pen rai", giving you a couple of paracetemols, and telling you to call the doctor in the morning if you still feel dizzy. You're taking a huge medical risk, dude, and don't let these Dennis Hopper (Easy Rider) types tell you otherwise.

You made it sound like you got some witch's brew of soul brother, uptown funk, black magic woman, and snake blood flowing in your veins which helps you bond with the hommies down in the training camp, and they'll always have your back. Delusional thinking alert. What if one of your junior-high-school-dropout sparing partners decides you would be a nice notch to have on their belt and accidentally-on-purpose clocks you? You know, take 'teach out? I know Thai men better than you, buddy, and if you think that could never happen because you're a natural born Eminem style 'hood rat, you're kidding yourself.

Let's go back to the long range plans. A touchy subject, as well it should be. Your ED visa expires. After that, everything turns into an endless maze of uncertainty (not to mention questionable legality). I've already covered this ground, not gonna rehash it.

I have this feeling that you're gripped in a feverish dream which is stopping you from rationally assessing the overall plan. People have already, and are going to again chime in to tell you that it doesn't matter, but when you're talking about things like visas, work permits, medical care, employment opportunites, it does matter.

I'm also sensing that you haven't been completely honest with yourself or us about all your motives for (a) leaving Canada, and (b) wanting to come live in Thailand. You've said the ladies aren't a factor, but your feverish determination to move here at all costs makes me wonder if there isn't anything in Canada you are running away from, or whether you have been fully honest with yourself about any extra-curricular motivations you might have for moving to Thailand. Not calling for you to pull the ejection seat lever, just calling for renewed rounds of thought and reflection.

Well written...if you ever wanted to be a writer for Hollywood or have, I believe it.  Wish I was that eloquent.  Spoken with insight and decades of wisdom.  Even some of us old wise dogs got something out of that narrative.

11 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Sorry for not posting much I have been working alot at getting things in order etc. 

The ED visa was my first idea in terms of staying for a long period, there are still ways to make that work as I can do a combates class weekly in Chiang Mai that would qualify me for one. 

Looking at the option of getting the papers and certificate needed to teach and tutor English as a second option. The family also owns a ring business and one of the partners is a high up at the Muay Thai Council overseeing all of Thailand. Business is registered etc, so we are looking at that for a work permit as well. 

The other option is the Thai elite Visa if it comes down to that. 

I've been working at this tirelessly since I first posted this topic. Probably 5 hours a day is just preparing for Thailand. There's definitely a lot of red tape but I also see a ton of different solutions and options here as well 

Well, you asked for feedback and received more than an adequate amount of invaluable advice, but are still committed on your chosen path - Thailand.  In conclusion:  there is no right or wrong path, only the path "you" feel you need to commit to for your own reasons...go forth and conqure, god speed!

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Nakmuay887:

What am I running from in Canada? Growing old. 

It's pretty much been my dream since I was a kid to live in Thailand training and fighting full time for as long as I can. 

About 4.5 years ago I had two choices. Left or right. I was offered a spot to be a sponsored fighter in Phuket at a gym there and at the last moment my now business partner convinced me to open up the gym. For the first two years I really enjoyed it but eventually my heart wasn't allowing my brain to pretend I was happy with the decision I had made.

You all make great points. It's the same type of skepticism that I faced when I opened my gym here. Instead of visas it was, "that's not a real job." "Go become a police officer." Things like that. 

I definitely look at Thailand through rose colored glasses, it's the birthplace of the single one thing I have been passionate about my entire life. But on the other hand, I've had my ass kicked more times than I can count, both in the ring and life in general. Anyone who says failure isn't an option is deluded. I know first hand that failure is the most readily available option at any given time. But I also know that it's a choice sometimes. 

Best case scenario is my fantasy life in Thailand becomes a reality. Worst case scenario is me falling flat on my face after a year, two, maybe ten. Who knows, but I'm standing here now saying I'll take it on the chin if it comes to that. 

So to answer your question as to what I'm running from? An idea in my own head that soon I'll be too old to chase the dreams I've had and the things I've wanted my entire life 

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Nakmuay887:

I don't think there will be many young, single Thai gals in the village of Thoen lol. 

I am more inclined to admire the person who is told they cannot or should not do something and succeed through pure determination and passion.  Being timid and safe, bending to the will of others who lack your vision is one way of doing it but it is not something which inspires.

I found passions didn’t last forever, so it was best to indulge them while the fire burned hot.  You will never get that feeling back once it is gone.  When it is time to move on to the next thing you will know.

3 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

What am I running from in Canada? Growing old. 

It's pretty much been my dream since I was a kid to live in Thailand training and fighting full time for as long as I can. 

About 4.5 years ago I had two choices. Left or right. I was offered a spot to be a sponsored fighter in Phuket at a gym there and at the last moment my now business partner convinced me to open up the gym. For the first two years I really enjoyed it but eventually my heart wasn't allowing my brain to pretend I was happy with the decision I had made.

You all make great points. It's the same type of skepticism that I faced when I opened my gym here. Instead of visas it was, "that's not a real job." "Go become a police officer." Things like that. 

I definitely look at Thailand through rose colored glasses, it's the birthplace of the single one thing I have been passionate about my entire life. But on the other hand, I've had my ass kicked more times than I can count, both in the ring and life in general. Anyone who says failure isn't an option is deluded. I know first hand that failure is the most readily available option at any given time. But I also know that it's a choice sometimes. 

Best case scenario is my fantasy life in Thailand becomes a reality. Worst case scenario is me falling flat on my face after a year, two, maybe ten. Who knows, but I'm standing here now saying I'll take it on the chin if it comes to that. 

So to answer your question as to what I'm running from? An idea in my own head that soon I'll be too old to chase the dreams I've had and the things I've wanted my entire life 

It sounds like you need to come to Thailand...good luck.

Archived