At long last, Settee makes his breakthrough

webfact

At long last, Settee makes his breakthrough

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam

go.jpg

Settee Prakongvech

Golfer Settee Prakongvech ended his long wait for a maiden professional title on Sunday, shooting a final 66 for a one-stroke victory in the Singha All Thailand Memorial.

Inclement weather forced organisers to reduce the tournament at the Chatrium Golf Resort Soi Dao to 54 holes and three rounds.

But it was enough for 24-year-old Settee from Chonburi to achieve his breakthrough win. His combined score of 12 under-par-201 propelled him to his first victory, almost eight years after turning professional.

“I’ve been waiting for this victory for a very long time,” said Settee, who beat Raththee Sirithanakunsak and Thai-Japanese Kosuke Hamamoto by a shot. 

“The last time I won it was in a junior event. I’m happy all the hard work and patience finally paid off.”

Settee has come dramatically close to winning several times in the past couple of years. Earlier this year he was runner-up at the back-to-back Chiang Mai (All Thailand Golf Tour) and Hua Hin (Thai PGA Tour), losing in the play-offs to Kwanchai Tanin and Kasidit Lepkurte.

He admitted to worrying that he might let his latest chance slip away again while playing the last hole, but held his concentration to save par for the clubhouse lead at 12 under. 

DIOW3588.jpg

Kosuke Hamamoto 

Only Kosuke had the chance to force a play-off with an ending birdie, but he missed.

“I was afraid I might not win again,” Settee said. “But I told myself to play my game and be prepared for the outcome. I stuck to my plan and it worked. It was a big load off!”

Settee, Bt300,000 richer with the winner’s cheque, will be back on the same course next month for a Thai PGA Tour event. But he’s already started thinking about grander ventures, such as the Japan Tour, European Tour and even the PGA Tour.

“I plan to play in bigger events if possible,” he said. “I have to be more patient and come up with a solid performance. I also need to work harder and get stronger physically.”

Former SEA Games gold medallist Kosuke shot a final 67 for 11 under-par-202 to share second place along with Raththee, who signed off with a 66.

The next All Thailand Golf Tour, Singha Championship, will stop at Rayong Green Valley Country Club from August 22-25.

DIOW3066.jpg

Raththee Sirithanakunsak

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/sport/30372484

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-08

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“I plan to play in bigger events if possible,” he said. “I have to be more patient and come up with a solid performance. I also need to work harder and get stronger physically.”

He's going to play in bigger events? Ah, Chaise Longue the player formerly known as Settee.

• Haha 1