Rich Indians to the Rescue as Chinese Tourists Shun Thailand

webfact

Rich Indians to the Rescue as Chinese Tourists Shun Thailand

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

pkt.jpg

Photographer: Tylor Weidman/Bloomberg

-- Chinese arrivals weakened amid Phuket accident, slowing growth

-- Thailand sees fivefold jump in Indian visitors between 2018-28

Thailand’s struggling tourism industry is finding support with visitors from the population colossus to its west, just as the years of bumper arrivals from the giant to its north are beginning to wane.

At a beachfront hotel on the tropical island of Phuket, the occupancy rate from Chinese clientele has stalled, while bookings from India have begun to rise. The Vijitt Resort is one of many in Thailand that has more cause for optimism.

“We’re starting to see new growth,” said Kongsak Khoopongsakorn, Vijitt’s general manager and vice president of the Thai Hotels Association. “Indians are now driving industry growth like the Chinese had previously done.”

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-07/in-phuket-indian-juggernaut-rides-to-rescue-as-china-visits-ebb

-- Bloomberg 2019-07-08

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thai exchange rate gives poor value to tourists, once the rich Indians have had their one visit they will move on to greener pastures, just like the Chinese. I don't know any Thai who has nice things to say about Indian people, they will feel unwelcome, so I don't expect any long term boom.

Next.....Thailand solves Americas homeless problem by putting all the homeless on planes and increasing the tourist arrivals in Thailand....

Sorry but hells going to freeze over before we welcome or value any western expats who have been contributing to Thailand for decades....  

Just now, fforest1 said:

Sorry but hells going to freeze over before we welcome or value any western expats who have been contributing to Thailand for decades....  

It's a race to the bottom and it looks like we are in the knock out stages of the contest. Indian tourists where? Pattaya, Phuket? Not up north and not in Bangkok as of three weeks ago when I was there. 

Just recently Ive seen groups of Indians around Rawai I can tell they are not rich Indians cheap charlie tour groups 1 coke and 4 straws 

I have seen extraordinary racism in thailand towards Indians.  I don't know if it's justified or not, I have little experience with Indians in Thailand.  The ones I meet here in the US seem alright. 

Greetings, 

In Pattaya, 3 out of 5 tourists are middle class Indians!  In other words, too many Indians, majority of my friends from USA will not be visiting Thailand this year due to strength of Thai bhat!

Russians - Chinese - Indians - ??? Maybe Marsians coz nothing else left.

I remember everybody complaining about the Russians in the glory days. Wait until the Indians come in numbers.

Run Forrest, run...

24 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

I have seen extraordinary racism in thailand towards Indians.  I don't know if it's justified or not, I have little experience with Indians in Thailand.  The ones I meet here in the US seem alright. 

How would you feel if you're a Thai girl making a deal with a group of east Indians who want a 4 for 1 deal?  😮

Maybe TAT will soon declare Thailand "The Hub of Indians".

Former hub of Chinese.

And Russians, and, and, and .....

Archived