Rich Indians to the Rescue as Chinese Tourists Shun Thailand

webfact

Rich Indians to the Rescue as Chinese Tourists Shun Thailand

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

pkt.jpg

Photographer: Tylor Weidman/Bloomberg

-- Chinese arrivals weakened amid Phuket accident, slowing growth

-- Thailand sees fivefold jump in Indian visitors between 2018-28

Thailand’s struggling tourism industry is finding support with visitors from the population colossus to its west, just as the years of bumper arrivals from the giant to its north are beginning to wane.

At a beachfront hotel on the tropical island of Phuket, the occupancy rate from Chinese clientele has stalled, while bookings from India have begun to rise. The Vijitt Resort is one of many in Thailand that has more cause for optimism.

“We’re starting to see new growth,” said Kongsak Khoopongsakorn, Vijitt’s general manager and vice president of the Thai Hotels Association. “Indians are now driving industry growth like the Chinese had previously done.”

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-07/in-phuket-indian-juggernaut-rides-to-rescue-as-china-visits-ebb

-- Bloomberg 2019-07-08

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thai exchange rate gives poor value to tourists, once the rich Indians have had their one visit they will move on to greener pastures, just like the Chinese. I don't know any Thai who has nice things to say about Indian people, they will feel unwelcome, so I don't expect any long term boom.

Next.....Thailand solves Americas homeless problem by putting all the homeless on planes and increasing the tourist arrivals in Thailand....

Sorry but hells going to freeze over before we welcome or value any western expats who have been contributing to Thailand for decades....  

Just now, fforest1 said:

Sorry but hells going to freeze over before we welcome or value any western expats who have been contributing to Thailand for decades....  

It's a race to the bottom and it looks like we are in the knock out stages of the contest. Indian tourists where? Pattaya, Phuket? Not up north and not in Bangkok as of three weeks ago when I was there. 

Greetings, 

In Pattaya, 3 out of 5 tourists are middle class Indians!  In other words, too many Indians, majority of my friends from USA will not be visiting Thailand this year due to strength of Thai bhat!

Russians - Chinese - Indians - ??? Maybe Marsians coz nothing else left.

I remember everybody complaining about the Russians in the glory days. Wait until the Indians come in numbers.

Run Forrest, run...

24 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

I have seen extraordinary racism in thailand towards Indians.  I don't know if it's justified or not, I have little experience with Indians in Thailand.  The ones I meet here in the US seem alright. 

How would you feel if you're a Thai girl making a deal with a group of east Indians who want a 4 for 1 deal?  ????

Beats me why Indians would come to Thailand, the rupee has been losing steadily against the baht (15% loss in 2 years and growing) like all western currencies. They have enough elephants, tuk-tuks, beaches (that they don't like anyway), tropical fruits, spicy food, cheating taxi drivers and unsafe roads in their country. Shopping? Nah. Wild nights? Perhaps, that would explain why they seem to be mostly in Pattaya and Phuket - although there is no prostitution there as we know.
I think this Indian wave will be short-lived, even more than the Chinese. And those with real money aren't coming to Thailand anyway.

4 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

And those with real money aren't coming to Thailand anyway.

I think this is a good point. My somewhat casual observation of the Indian tourists in Pattaya is that they stand around in small groups, blocking footpaths and even roads. (They absolutely refuse to get out of the way, leading to accusations of arrogance.) While they seem to be infiltrating every corner of the city, what is noticeable is that there are few to be seen in the shops, not even the 7/11s. My old Indian colleagues tell me that most of their (well-off) friends prefer to go to major western places. Thailand is actually looked down upon. So it looks like the class of Indian tourist coming to Thailand is not going to save the local economy.

9 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

I think this is a good point. My somewhat casual observation of the Indian tourists in Pattaya is that they stand around in small groups, blocking footpaths and even roads. (They absolutely refuse to get out of the way, leading to accusations of arrogance.) While they seem to be infiltrating every corner of the city, what is noticeable is that there are few to be seen in the shops, not even the 7/11s. My old Indian colleagues tell me that most of their (well-off) friends prefer to go to major western places. Thailand is actually looked down upon. So it looks like the class of Indian tourist coming to Thailand is not going to save the local economy.

You have seen that Indian sect that neither eats or drinks they exist on air alone.  Not much good for tourism.

1 hour ago, piewarmer said:

The Thai exchange rate gives poor value to tourists, once the rich Indians have had their one visit they will move on to greener pastures, just like the Chinese. I don't know any Thai who has nice things to say about Indian people, they will feel unwelcome, so I don't expect any long term boom.

Bad comment....Totally unacceptable.!!!

1 hour ago, alfalfa19 said:

I have seen extraordinary racism in thailand towards Indians.  I don't know if it's justified or not, I have little experience with Indians in Thailand.  The ones I meet here in the US seem alright. 

And what would justify extraordinary racism?

19 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Why would middle class Indians come to Thailand ? because it's near, good enough for a weeks holiday maybe, the big holidays would be spent in Europe.

Because the Thai ladies are so accommodating, cheap and will do anything for few baht.

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

Bring their money but leave their arrogance and rudeness at 

home, and wait in the queue like everyone else.

It's not going to happen. I lived and traveled in India for 4 years. If one is polite and steps aside to allow someone on the bus before oneself you won't be able to break back into the queue. I've had to pay railway porters  to lift and push me through the widow of the train in Agra...and the passengers inside the train were trying to push me out. It was very crowded! It's a dog eat dog world!

23 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

I dont know if Pattaya and Phuket are the same but Hua Hin gets huge business from the Indian wedding industry, its big money and centered on the 5 star hotels.

that is a commercial decision, technically being tourism of course.

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Cool said:

It's not going to happen. I lived and traveled in India for 4 years. If one is polite and steps aside to allow someone on the bus before oneself you won't be able to break back into the queue. I've had to pay railway porters  to lift and push me through the widow of the train in Agra...and the passengers inside the train were trying to push me out. It was very crowded! It's a dog eat dog world!

this is a subject of RICH indian. what you are describing is the situation of the masses.

Archived