Rich Indians to the Rescue as Chinese Tourists Shun Thailand

webfact

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

But you do not see 7-11 full of Chinese buying mama or Indians bargaining to buy same mama?

How can that be ? According to you the Chinese are all on package tours and only shop where the guide lets them. 

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

How can that be ? According to you the Chinese are all on package tours and only shop where the guide lets them. 

Oh so you did say all of the above . Now to explain to you how and why it’s true. Because all those Chinese package tours are hungry , so they go to 7-11 nearest to where they stay to buy mama and junk as eating wherever they are taken is double the normal price as restaurants double their prices to pay tour companies up to 50% for bringing tour groups.

Now happy trolling ????

2 hours ago, bkkbudddy said:

Greetings, 

In Pattaya, 3 out of 5 tourists are middle class Indians!  In other words, too many Indians, majority of my friends from USA will not be visiting Thailand this year due to strength of Thai bhat!

How do you know this? I have been to India albeit 30 years ago.  People rotting & dying right in front of you.

Population then about 800 million.Now its 1.4 billion and racing upward to 2 billion.

Middle class Indians dominate the demographic  in LOS?

Middle class Indians are actually people earning more than US$ 2/ hour.

Bring it on TAT!!!!

Just now, bkk6060 said:

One of the bigger TG lies in Pattaya: I not go with man India..

Yes all the profiles on tf, scout , badoo, WeChat and so on with girls writing no India or Arab all fake????????

How many Indians have been drugged & robbed even killed,thailand will regret chasing away westerners with all the changes in immigration rules,can't really blame the baht but it's gonna drop like a bag of sxxx,tourism is a big earner for any country

You might think the strong baht, haze in the North and safety in the South are holding back tourism in Thailand. These issues are very important, especially in the present, but we also need to understand, and maybe even direct, long-term trends in tourism for the Thai economy and Thai people.

Things that are worth consideration by the govt / TAT, which I am sure they already have in hand, are:

- eco-tourism (interest is local people and nature in a sustainable ethic), which also includes the environment, better battery driven-driven tuk-tuks ... there are many things to think about here and I am sure the reader can add to this list

- health and hospitality travel (there are many private hospitals working to the highest International standards offering care at very competitive prices; there are many ladies - perhaps half to 1 million -  working selflessly in the tourist industry who have whole families back in the village to look after; the whole relax and renew spiritual trip you would think was generated just for Thailand

- smaller groups and even individuals traveling for shorter periods of time. (group tours seem to me to be fading and for example many young single-couples from Shanghai - girl couples too),

- business and vacation travel combined (The Empress has just open its doors to a 17-storey hotel-conference centre in Chiang Mai).

It is no wonder that Thailand is one of the top tourist destinations in the world and always will be, but:

- the infrastructure developed in the eighties must be upgraded and maintained.

Plus there are all the new technologies available such as:

- inexpensive chat apps to handle reception duties and drinks orders and so on,

- artificial intelligence using big data to understand and direct marketing efforts,

- face recognition being used at the airports to speed through the tourist visa process,

- Internet of Things IoT software on your smartphone to control all the electrical devices in your hotel room or even Museum (Art in Paradise is fantastic fun and easy load to Facebook),

- VR virtual reality apps giving you near real-world experience of those trips you just didn't have time for, from your hotel room.

So what I am trying to say is that Thailand seems to do very well out of emerging economies and with rising new middle classes, and this gives a (passing) marketing direction. The TAT is currently directing its marketing efforts to India, because it can see a fall-off in Chinese demand, particularly after the Phuket incident. But there is a lot more going on than this.

There are all the new demographics and travel trends and Thailand is surfing all these new trends and opportunities with a highly organized national strategy and effort from the government and TAT downwards, through to the 12 top cities, the beach and mountain destinations, and the individual tourist authorities in these places.

Why would the government want to do this? Obviously, tourism at 20% of GDP is very very important. But of equal importance is how that income is spread out.

Yes, some goes to chain hotels and airline companies, sometimes foreign-owned, but a great deal goes directly into the pockets of ordinary local people, AirBnB and Grab are great examples. However, if the tourist industry fades, and no other employment sectors are found to replace it, history shows that the people affected and overlooked will take to the streets in populist uprisings - this is something that no government wants!

The population of China and India combined represents almost half the worlds population. 

I dont know why it comes as such a shock or just cant be true that most of the tourists and ex-pats, have and will, come from these countries.

Tourists and expats from these countries have always outnumbered tourists and expats from any, or combined western countries.

It appears to be a hard pill to swallow for many western tourists and expats, who seem to think they are here in greater numbers and of greater value to the Thai economy.

I suppose many form their opinions because they are tourists or living in a western bubble within Thailand, so their whole world view of Thailand is westerners. There are tourism and expat demographics within Thailand that your average western tourist is completely unaware of and for some reason actually feel threatened by.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Rich Indians to the Rescue as Chinese Tourists Shun Thailand

Once all the venues, taxis have done the usual rip-off Indians time & a few have been repatriated as freight due to accidents they too will not return.

Thailand has bounced around from country to country trying to sell it's old wares.

It's time not to re-invent the rapper it's time to change the whole tired package!

Not sure what the bar girls/freelancers are going to think about servicing Indians, most Thais I know wouldn't touch them... tough choices ahead.

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Tourists and expats from these countries have always outnumbered tourists and expats from any, or combined western countries.

Absolute rubbish, Japanese expats are the biggest group in Thailand. 

There are twice as many Malay tourists coming to Thailand than indians, so that part is also rubbish and Malays/Japanese/Koreans where the biggest tourist group before it was Chinese.

Why make stuff up all the time? It's just not true.

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Thats the point I was making, there are more tourists and expats from many countries that outnumber western tourists. China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia etc etc.

i had to smile , i was in a bar in Bangkok, soi 4 friday night and on the wall was a poster with a pic of an indian man, and the message was ONE MAN DRINK ONE BEER, so funny. i have seen 8 Indian men sharing a beer tower, must be all those rich indians they are on about, loads of them in Bangkok, (thought i was in INDIA) not see many white farang

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Because the Thai ladies are so accommodating, cheap and will do anything for few baht.

rarely with an indian, in CM I saw a mama san exhorting the girls to sit with two Indian males who had been sitting by themselves for an hour, nobody took any notice, I had two sitting with me.

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Thats the point I was making, there are more tourists and expats from many countries that outnumber western tourists. China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia etc etc.

Financially definately not, there are as many russians and americans than they are indians, grouping Japan and Korea together with China is hilarious, they are the same type of tourists as europeans and americans.

1.2 mio Americans in 2008,

1.5 mio Russians and

1.6 mio indians.

I doubt the americans are the ones who spent least here.

Just a couple of photos of the big Indian nightclubs in Pattaya. Makes you wonder how they make money being full of 4 guys sharing one drink.

"OR", just maybe its just a myth.

Related image

Image result for nashaa indian nightclub

I've run into many Indians here in Viet Nam and find their English to be very understandable and their food to be quite tasty. When I ask them why they chose Viet Nam over Thailand they say the Thai baht and two tier pricing. They are easy to get along with and don't bother me at all. 

20 minutes ago, Danny286 said:

I am going to be as racist as possible here because OMG the racism is strong in this group of white trashes trying to justify why growing Indian tourists are a bad news for Thailand and why Thai should attract more white people who turn out criminals, pedophiles, theifs, killers, beggers, etc. All hiding from police in Isaan with their poor young wives and crying about strong baht. All these white fat old blokes leave their white fairyland and come to Thailand because it's the only place where young women still give a shit about them.

When was the last time you saw an Indian in the news for a bad crime in Thailand?

Also last time I checked Thailand is culturally more related to India than any other country so it's heavily dependent on India for everything and India contributes a lot in it's growth. It's never going to stop Indians from coming. Some of the richest Immigrants in Thailand are Indians and that's why you see them everywhere.

What did white people contribute to Thailand - prostitution.

I know some white admin will remove this comment but leave the rest of the racist comments. So I don't care. Truth is truth. ????

The portuguese gave them chillies, the rest of farangland gave them televisions, radios, iphones, cars, motorbikes, computers, aircraft, steel ships, water pumps, concrete, proper shoes, underwear, watches, guns, a parliamentary system, printing machines, karaoke etc. They gave us Thai wisdom and kick boxing. 

24 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

There are twice as many Malay tourists coming to Thailand than indians, so that part is also rubbish and Malays/Japanese/Koreans where the biggest tourist group before it was Chinese.

Why make stuff up all the time? It's just not true.

Link please or are we supposed to believe a random poster on Thai Visa?

3 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

I have seen extraordinary racism in thailand towards Indians.  I don't know if it's justified or not, I have little experience with Indians in Thailand.  The ones I meet here in the US seem alright. 

I've lived and worked in India. Extremely interesting county with more contrasts than most.

One observation, and this is just my opinion, is that Indians are totally different at home than when abroad on holiday. At home they are most welcoming, hospitable, generous and love it if you show an interest in their culture and food. When traveling abroad on holiday they become arrogant, rude, demanding, always trying to do things on the cheap, and try and behave like they're some Bollywood star or hiso celebrity. 

Given most Indians I know, have a preconception about what Thailand is and what's available, I wouldn't expect that the Indians coming will be rich families looking for cultural trips!

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Financially definately not, there are as many russians and americans than they are indians, grouping Japan and Korea together with China is hilarious, they are the same type of tourists as europeans and americans.

1.2 mio Americans in 2008,

1.5 mio Russians and

1.6 mio indians.

I doubt the americans are the ones who spent least here.

Not really following your point. If you combine Russia and US it bigger than India ???? 

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Next.....Thailand solves Americas homeless problem by putting all the homeless on planes and increasing the tourist arrivals in Thailand....

Sorry but hells going to freeze over before we welcome or value any western expats who have been contributing to Thailand for decades....  

Sad, eh? I bring millions of baht in export business to several companies in Thailand . When I recently renewed my visa and work permit, was anyone even remotely curious about what my business did? Did anyone ask if my business brought value to The Kingdom? No. Only the sign on my office was not quite right, so go do it again with a sign we like. NOTE: it's been the same sign for 5 years.

7 minutes ago, Hockeybik said:

Sad, eh? I bring millions of baht in export business to several companies in Thailand . When I recently renewed my visa and work permit, was anyone even remotely curious about what my business did? Did anyone ask if my business brought value to The Kingdom? No. Only the sign on my office was not quite right, so go do it again with a sign we like. NOTE: it's been the same sign for 5 years.

Very good at shooting themselves in the foot though!

Archived