Rich Indians to the Rescue as Chinese Tourists Shun Thailand

webfact

23 hours ago, BestB said:

So in your expert opinion because it’s full it means everyone is drinking and spending money ? Or your wife also owns this club so you can confirm as a fact all drinking and all spending money 

Sharing one drink between 4 and one woman between 8 lol

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Modahole said:

Some of the richest Immigrants in Thailand are Indians and many have been living here for centuries long before west discovered Thailand and that's why you see them everywhere.

No they are thais, they have a thai passport. Same as Indian Brits and Indian Americans, they are british and american. and we aren't talking about any of these.

Of course there are rich indians but the average who comes here isn't and thailand can't deal with the mass tourism, it's just simple as that.

The infrastructure here can't deal with 40 mio tourists each year and advertising to an average low income country below thailands own GDP per capita is just nuts.

Thailand needs to wake the fak up and find out how to do something sustainable or the country is ruind beyond repair soon.

so it's heavily dependent on India for everything and India contributes a lot in it's growth.

No it isn't.

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

Have you seen Mukesh Ambani's home in Mumbai? https://www.architecturaldigest.in/content/mukesh-ambani-antilia-home-mumbai/#s-cust0

Said to be the second most expensive property in the world. Second only to Buckingham Palace.

Good example of why there are so many poor in India, the rich take all the money and get richer - like they need it!

Second most expensive property in the world & they are surrounded by squalor 7 poverty, they must be very proud when they look out of the windows at their surroundings & fellow human beings ???? 

12 hours ago, HereIAm said:

It's been interesting reading through these discussions. Amazed though that most of the opinions expressed here by expats and others on Indian tourists seem to spring from a tunnel vision based on what they espied at bars or beaches in Pattaya. I wager that every single page of these discussions has several references to "1 coke 4 straws," which I confess amused me for the innovative metaphor. Wake up, guys, just what are you trying to say ? That you haven't had a life outside of the bars and beaches ?

I agree that the class of Indian tourists you see in these two venues is a class you wouldn't like to see again. I don't, certainly. In fact I believe they are the reason why the entire nationality is tarred. As one who loves the eventful bar scenes, I am at the receiving end of endless racist insults, the most common being the doorman jutting out his arm to bar my entry with a mumbled "Members Only." This even at many of my favorite joints where I was welcomed in the past. I have had rollicking times in SC in the past but on my last visit I was insulted. Maybe new management. I stopped going to SC. At Sugar discotheque I was stopped by a Thai girl after the expat guy at the entrance welcomed me. Just the previous week I had spent over 1200 baht on drinks there with my GF. Yet now, new faces, new rules.

The wearer of the shoe knows how bad it pinches. I don't much blame the bars, rather I admit it's karma for being Indian. My countrymen don't cover themselves with glory at bars and beaches. I've had several friendly girls at MPs and bars tell me they dislike Indians. Many have told me lurid tales of what can be called gang rape, four-for-the-price-of-one tricks, with the girls realising the trickery only on entering the room. I consider it my great fortune that, all this bad karma notwithstanding, I've had super duper times at the MPs, Bars and ‘Takeaways.’ Can't keep a good man down for long, can ya ?

But, please do realize that there are scores of different types within the Indian milieu. Indians are not a homogenous people. Nearly 30 states make up this country which is a sub-continent by itself. Different languages, cultures, religions, skin colour (not that it matters, just saying), beliefs, traditions, therefore different behaviours, outlook, practices. Some posters have used geographical identifiers, which reveal good perception on their part, but I am not going to repeat those. Making matters worse is the fact that Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, SriLankans, all look alike and get classified as Indians.

The point is, not all Indians behave the same. It’s a fact though, that most of the Indian guys you see in Pattaya and gogo bars, in groups, blocking your way, ill treating the girls, nursing one drink for 3 hours, etc are not  all there is to Indian tourists. Rest assured there is a far bigger,  better and burgeoning profile of Indian tourists who are good spenders, and live life well when they visit overseas. You will see them as travel groups who stay in upward of 3-star hotels, shop in malls as much as on streets, dine in fine restaurants (even if Indian food, the money goes to Thailand) and rarely carry back home any Baht. These Indians are not noticed by the posters here who judge an entire people by the actions of a few in seedy places.

Then there is the even richer class of Film, TV and Advertising personalities and their shooting units that frequently travel to Thailand for locales, shooting, studio settings, and so on. Some of these are cheaper doing in Thailand than in India. Remember this Indian industry is arguably the largest in the world. High-end malls are where you will see them. And luxury hotels and resorts. It won’t be far-fetched to say that there is always an Indian film or TV unit in Thailand at any point of time.

TAT has a fair idea of what it is saying when it speaks of attracting Indian tourists to fill the void left by the vanishing Chinese. It has a long term vision of 2028. I do not think Indians will fully make up for the Chinese loss but TAT is on to a good thing nevertheless. It appears much research has gone into this plan. You can eat your hearts out.

Will the rising Baht make a dent ? Yes. Visitors are unlikely  to repeat a trip to Thailand unless they see other value to counter the higher costs. Film units, for example, come to Thailand for the locales, but also for the skill and discipline of Thai workers on sets. Connoisseurs of Spa holidays and massage therapy will tolerate the currency hikes. But Thailand willy nilly has to work on its currency rate if it wishes to bring back the tourists from all over the world.

Well said sir, but I fear you are shouting into the void here.

2.9bn people and yet there are only two tar brushes, the yellow one and the brown one.

You can't educate pork. The advent of the Asian century is terrifying them.

7 minutes ago, CGW said:

Good example of why there are so many poor in India, the rich take all the money and get richer - like they need it!

Second most expensive property in the world & they are surrounded by squalor 7 poverty, they must be very proud when they look out of the windows at their surroundings & fellow human beings ???? 

I went there, it's in a street with a bunch of bollywood stars - next to a slum.

Absolutely disgusting.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Agreed.  And these wealthy generally have nothing but  contempt for people or the environment. 

This clip comes from a movie called the age of stupid.  check out from about 7.40 the way he treats an employee over the cleanliness of the stairs.

3 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Agreed.  And these wealthy generally have nothing but  contempt for people or the environment. 

This clip comes from a movie called the age of stupid.  check out from about 7.40 the way he treats an employee over the cleanliness of the stairs.

I can't understand a word they say. Maybe the British Raj wasn't so bad after all.

8 hours ago, JAG said:

I really don't think that it is a question of Indians, or Chinese, pushing the westerners away.

A nightclub on lower sukhumvit comes to mind - we used to go there every night, literally, but then management changed and lifted the ban on Indians, next thing we know every night looks like Mumbai with drunk and entitled guys (and gals) blocking the way and spilling drinks all over us. The place used to be very popular with western expats, within weeks they lost ALL of their regulars including us because we've had enough. They're lucky if we come once a month now.

I will also never forget the Indian guy who was trying to forcefully pull a girl out of there while she's screaming no at him - we had to intervene and get security to kick him out - it looked like he's about to beat her up for refusing to go with him.

And the stupidest part? We, and other western expats, always open bottles and spend quite a bit in nightclubs. The Indians who replaced us buy one beer and spend hours walking around with it. You do the math.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well, a little I guess. I've not been to Pattaya in 10 years. But when I was there a walk down beach Road at 4/5am would get some real bargains. Have things changed much? I doubt it.

Sure, and quite often you get a few extra inches free... Ahh beach road...

On 7/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I think you're living in the past. If your comment was serious, that is.

Well, a little I guess. I've not been to Pattaya in 10 years. But when I was there a walk down beach Road at 4/5am would get some real bargains. Have things changed much? I doubt it.

45 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

A nightclub on lower sukhumvit comes to mind - we used to go there every night, literally, but then management changed and lifted the ban on Indians, next thing we know every night looks like Mumbai with drunk and entitled guys (and gals) blocking the way and spilling drinks all over us. The place used to be very popular with western expats, within weeks they lost ALL of their regulars including us because we've had enough. They're lucky if we come once a month now.

I will also never forget the Indian guy who was trying to forcefully pull a girl out of there while she's screaming no at him - we had to intervene and get security to kick him out - it looked like he's about to beat her up for refusing to go with him.

And the stupidest part? We, and other western expats, always open bottles and spend quite a bit in nightclubs. The Indians who replaced us buy one beer and spend hours walking around with it. You do the math.

That can be said about the whole of Soi 11 too, when i arrived here went there quite often, not always clubs but just bars etc.

Not anymore since around 2 years...But also all Thais i know that went there before no longer go anywhere near that whole area.

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

I can't understand a word they say. Maybe the British Raj wasn't so bad after all.

I was invited to the 50th anniversary of Independence in Mumbai and most of my friends say 50 years of what at least when the British were there we had roads and hospitals and schools 

It was only about 5 Years ago, that the all the Hotels in Pattaya were refusing to accept Tourists from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

The Hotel Management stated that people from these Countries were " Dirty, Smelly, and had poor personal hygiene ' , and were not the type of people they wanted staying in their Hotels.

My, how the high and mighty have slumped to accepting these Tourists.

All these people commenting on Indians don't know anything about them and repeat the same old 4 guys 1 bottle remark. Isn't it good for the environment though. Think about it. 

Western people are always in the news as criminals, pedophiles, thieves, killers, beggars, etc. 

When was the last time you saw an Indian in the news for a bad crime in Thailand? 
Indians come in the news for being robbed off their jewelry (yes almost every Indian wears jewelry because it's a cultural thing) or arrested for illegally staying in Thailand but never for bad crimes.

Also last time I checked Thailand is culturally more related to India than any other country so it's heavily dependent on India for everything and India contributes a lot in it's growth. It's never going to stop Indians from coming. Some of the richest Immigrants in Thailand are Indians and many have been living here for centuries long before west discovered Thailand and that's why you see them everywhere.

Truth is truth.

Racist and derogatory remarks against western people is not allowed here but the same kind of comments against Indians are allowed as you can see all over the comment section.

Albert Einstein once said "That separation/racism is not a disease of colored people. It is a disease of white people.

15 hours ago, zydeco said:

You have be the biggest ignorant out there to say that British colonialism was good. But i do not blame you. Your education system never taught you anything except white washed history of how the British civilized the world. Much like how communist and dictator nations brainwash their people into believing something false and keep them away from reality.

Just see this and you'll know How British destroyed, looted and thrived on their colonies.

Mostly Indian men travel to Pattaya and Phuket for sex, they want cheap hookers. They travel in groups to save money. 

If this is the future of tourism in Thailand , they can close down 90% of the restaurants and bars. 

1 minute ago, balo said:

Mostly Indian men travel to Pattaya and Phuket for sex, they want cheap hookers. They travel in groups to save money. 

If this is the future of tourism in Thailand , they can close down 90% of the restaurants and bars. 

Same thing goes for most man who travel to Thailand. Specially western retirees thrown away by their wives. They find love of their life in young bar girls.
Thailand's economy relies heavily on this type tourism and that's why it still exists.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:47 AM, SteveStevens said:

How would you feel if you're a Thai girl making a deal with a group of east Indians who want a 4 for 1 deal?  ????

In the past 4 for 1 would mean a nice entourage of local girls accompanying a lucky tourist home after a big night out. The Indians have redefined this to mean that four of them sharing a small room each chip in 200 baht for a girl to pass round. 

13 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

It was only about 5 Years ago, that the all the Hotels in Pattaya were refusing to accept Tourists from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

The Hotel Management stated that people from these Countries were " Dirty, Smelly, and had poor personal hygiene ' , and were not the type of people they wanted staying in their Hotels.

My, how the high and mighty have slumped to accepting these Tourists.

I wonder where all those millions of tourists from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh were staying 5 years ago.
Let me guess, they stayed in 5 star hotels and resorts that you could never stay in and only saw and dreamed about from the road.
5 years ago all the hotels in Pattaya were refusing western tourists because they were loud, ill-mannered, smelly because they never bathed, begged for money on streets and always brought girls to their rooms made loud noises and disturb others.

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

In the past 4 for 1 would mean a nice entourage of local girls accompanying a lucky tourist home after a big night out. The Indians have redefined this to mean that four of them sharing a small room each chip in 200 baht for a girl to pass round. 

Just like the western beg packers do in their hostels. All live in cramped spaces sharing a girl and then paying her fee by begging on the streets.

10 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You're speaking as an outsider - are you one of the oppressed you're talking about? 

If you're one of the oppressors then it does not really matter. It's in your genes so I don't blame you for your lack of understanding of what happened and what your forefathers did.

Maybe this might clear some things on what state the British really left India and Pakistan in with their famous colonial divide and conquer tactics.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:21 AM, webfact said:

Indians are now driving industry growth like the Chinese had previously done.”

Are they aware that the rupee is in a terminal nosedive against the baht, just like all the other currencies? 

10 minutes ago, SoulKid said:

If you're one of the oppressors then it does not really matter. It's in your genes so I don't blame you for your lack of understanding of what happened and what your forefathers did.

Maybe this might clear some things on what state the British really left India and Pakistan in with their famous colonial divide and conquer tactics.

10 minutes ago, SoulKid said:

Interested in your thoughts on how HK is coping after the colonialists left

On 7/8/2019 at 6:51 AM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Good.  However TAT needs to promote specific regions, it's not good enough if Indians only ever visit Pattaya and Phuket.  

The Thai national airline also promotes Bangkok, as shown in this inviting photo of Soi Cowboy.

1562715782753.jpg

18 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No they are thais, they have a thai passport. Same as Indian Brits and Indian Americans, they are british and american. and we aren't talking about any of these.

Of course there are rich indians but the average who comes here isn't and thailand can't deal with the mass tourism, it's just simple as that.

The infrastructure here can't deal with 40 mio tourists each year and advertising to an average low income country below thailands own GDP per capita is just nuts.

Thailand needs to wake the fak up and find out how to do something sustainable or the country is ruind beyond repair soon.

No it isn't.

India was the world's largest economy before the Mughals and British looted everything from it. The British looted so much that its GDP fell from 24% to just 4% in just less than 90 years of their rule over India in which millions of people were also killed.

If the Mughals and British never stepped in India then you cannot imagine how rich Indians would've been today. But they're picking up the pace and bringing back the wealth.

6 minutes ago, SoulKid said:

India was the world's largest economy before the Mughals and British looted everything from it. The British looted so much that its GDP fell from 24% to just 4% in just less than 90 years of their rule over India in which millions of people were also killed.

If the Mughals and British never stepped in India then you cannot imagine how rich Indians would've been today. But they're picking up the pace and bringing back the wealth.

Forget about that and the famines and the millions of deaths and the squalor and children in slums .... what about the roads?  Hrumph.

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Interested in your thoughts on how HK is coping after the colonialists left

HK was occupied by the British during opium wars from China. Under British rule HK natives were treated like slaves. The older generation that lived through that time know how bad it was and that's why they prefer to merge with China.

British left HK in a much worse situation being crushed by a giant communist nation by coming up with 1 country 2 system thing that expires in 2047 after which HK will be part of China. There is no escaping that.
British should've given HK to China when they left. At least whats happening today and the war that is brewing up would've never happened.

Archived