Chiang Mai teenager survives big bike collision but loses leg – VIDEO

webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Hard to say,

I have gone 150 kph on my Kawasaki 650 and yes, you are almost invisible and moving so fast that if someone looked and looked again and then went you would seem to appear out of nowhere. The person looking is using the speed that they commonly encounter to make their judgement to go.

This is very common in high speed wrecks. 

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

His crutches will remind him for the rest of his life of his and his parents stupidity.

Judging by his parents utter stupidity and selfishness..

Wouldnt surprise anyone, if they buy him a prosthetic leg, and let him carry on his kamikazi attitude....

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I have gone 150 kph on my Kawasaki 650 and yes, you are almost invisible and moving so fast that if someone looked and looked again and then went you would seem to appear out of nowhere. The person looking is using the speed that they commonly encounter to make their judgement to go.

Yes I will not try to say no. But I just reviewed the video a few times again and there was more than open time to see by both parties if they had their eyes open.

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes I will not try to say no. But I just reviewed the video a few times again and there was more than open time to see by both parties if they had their eyes open.

The only possible option would have been to slow down at a place where many shops and people are. Many shops and people means traffic. He won't do the same mistake again, methinks. 

16 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I've done 165 km/h on my cruiser and considering the roads, it's pretty fast and dangerous.

All you need is a dog that's trying to cross the road and you're dead. I'm aware that death walks behind me. 

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

there was more than open time to see by both parties if they had their eyes open.

the kid on the bike had zero options because at that speed you can do nothing. You can't stop and you can't change lanes. 

And even if you could your brain cannot react fast enough. All that would happen is what is called "target fixation"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_fixation

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

In Thailand you must be over 15 year of age to have a motorbike license but there is no restriction on the power of the bike you may ride.

Last time I asked:

15 year-olds can drive motorcycles up to 110cc

For bigger bikes they have to be 18 years-old

Car license is 18 years-old

So Webfact was right, then.

7 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The only possible option would have been to slow down at a place where many shops and people are. Many shops and people means traffic. He won't do the same mistake again, methinks. 

why would youthinks that?  these folks are simply untrainable.  girlfriends nephew has had six motorcycle accidents in the last two years.  one of them involved drinking, riding, falling asleep and then dumping in a ditch.  nearly a year of no walking with pins in legs.  had another three weeks ago, claims something fell off an overpass and broke his middle toe...flipflops apparently no protection.  her cousin in hua hin died in a motorcycle wreck two weeks ago.  helmets aren't cool.

6 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why would youthinks that?  these folks are simply untrainable.  girlfriends nephew has had six motorcycle accidents in the last two years.  one of them involved drinking, riding, falling asleep and then dumping in a ditch.  nearly a year of no walking with pins in legs.  had another three weeks ago, claims something fell off an overpass and broke his middle toe...flipflops apparently no protection.  her cousin in hua hin died in a motorcycle wreck two weeks ago.  helmets aren't cool.

I know some foreigners here who seem to show some similarities.

The one guy had four accidents now and he's still riding without a helmet. 

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

With insurance here being on the car or bike, not the driver/rider, is that true? 

The driver still has to be 'legal' for insurance to pay out. If drunk/drugs or dangerous driving = no pay out.

I read the small print on my policy.

54 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Yes shop houses mean definitely slow down. He still has one leg left. We would hope not.

53 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the kid on the bike had zero options because at that speed you can do nothing. You can't stop and you can't change lanes. 

And even if you could your brain cannot react fast enough. All that would happen is what is called "target fixation"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_fixation

Certainly was a direct hit. Tragedy anyway all of us look at it.

Normal life...

So many discussions about at what age you are legally allowed to drive a motorcycle here (15 or 18) - I do not know and it does not matter, because a license is not required to drive here.

1 hour ago, weaver93 said:

Judging by his parents utter stupidity and selfishness..

Wouldnt surprise anyone, if they buy him a prosthetic leg, and let him carry on his kamikazi attitude....

No way. Such an accident woke them up. BTW, it takes up to years to be ready riding a big bike with a prosthetic leg. They wish they hadn't helped him to have this bike, believe me. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In Thailand you must be over 15 year of age to have a motorbike license but there is no restriction on the power of the bike you may ride.

Another one of those "peculiar" laws (and there are many).

I think these kind of laws are not conceived or thought out, but invented on the spot by senate and parliament idiots whose higher functions have long since atrophied.

Very sad for a young boy whose life has changed.

True story. Guy on a big bike on LI Expwy, NY was going so fast the cop cars couldn't keep up with him. They called for helicopter support. The helicopter motioned him to pull over, and he did. When the cops finally caught up to him, they asked him "Do you know how fast you were going?" His reply: "Gee officer, I don't really know. It's dangerous to take your eyes off the road at THAT speed." He was promptly arrested.

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

No way he can stop that momentum at that high speed. But yet again looking at what he crashed in to, it is a Thai rider crossing the road like a headless chicken without any concern of safety too.

The rider crossing the road probably was not expecting an approach  at 150kph.

35 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The rider crossing the road probably was not expecting an approach  at 150kph.

That is one of the biggest problems here. Whether 150 km or 60 km, they never think to expect anything and just go no real thought. Just this morning after taking my daughter to school, I saw a guy in his 60's with wife on back of bike dart right out in front of an oncoming car going 60 km to get to the far lane going the other direction. Missed him by 2.5 meters. I almost closed my eyes is was so scary. 

Archived