Chiang Mai teenager survives big bike collision but loses leg – VIDEO

webfact

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The rider crossing the road probably was not expecting an approach  at 150kph.

This is a crucial point. Two things happen when you are at high speed. One is things approach you VERY fast, and you need to be paying attention far ahead, and have quick reflexes. The second thing that happens is what you mentioned, other people do not expect you to arrive so quickly, and therefore do stupid things which you must anticipate. It takes skill and training to drive fast safely, absolutely not suitable for a 13 year old on a big bike with no training and on a public street. A harsh lesson to learn.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

That is one of the biggest problems here. Whether 150 km or 60 km, they never think to expect anything and just go no real thought. Just this morning after taking my daughter to school, I saw a guy in his 60's with wife on back of bike dart right out in front of an oncoming car going 60 km to get to the far lane going the other direction. Missed him by 2.5 meters. I almost closed my eyes is was so scary. 

Speed and third world driving culture are incompatible. Doesn't really matter the drivers age or skill level. If you drive that fast in traffic in Thailand you will get in to a serious accident sooner rather than later. 

Students under 15 ride m/c's to school every day, 3 or 4 on board in full view of the police and nothing is done to stop them. School Heads seem happy with the arrangement. Police happy to control vehicles to allow the students to park up. As long as this happens then these kids will continue to see this as the way to behave in the future. Traffic Police stops seem to start mid morning or mid afternoon and end before the students make their way home . TIT !!

Just to add some context to this quite unbelievably moronically stupid series of decisions :-

The top speed of a ZX-10R is 290 km/h

The engine produces 210 hp

It weighs 206 kg

It does 0 - 100 kmh in 2.8 seconds.

The parents must be complete morons and above the law. They are certainly teaching him irresponsibility and impunity very well.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I am absolutely speechless - the stupidity of the parents is quite beyond comprehension, when I was 13 I was still riding a bicycle 

I wasn't.  

The daughters family have just bought a new bike for their 6 year old sons birthday.  The one he was riding at 4 years old is getting a bit ratty and uncompetitive. He is getting to be quite good.  His seven year old friend of family is one of the best in the State.  On the track of course not on public roads (unlike me at 13).

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Actually, there is something select about the Darwin awards. This young 13 year old would only be eligible if he died and thus had not passed on his genes. Other idiots who perform amazingly stupid acts ending in their death are not eligible if they have passed on their genes ie.had a child.

Disagree. You can get a Darwin Award if you die having had children already.  

Fun fact;  The ZX-10R is the perfect training bike as it will do 167kph in FIRST GEAR!  No problem needing to learn how to shift.

While a 13 year old lacks judgement, I would venture that 95% of every rider of any age you see on the road on a sport bike doesn't have a clue how to ride them and maybe one tenth of one percent have any proper track training, which incidentally is the only place you can actually use one of these machines.

1 hour ago, Mukdahanman said:

Disagree. You can get a Darwin Award if you die having had children already.  

Interesting. How does eliminating oneself from the gene pool work if you have already passed on your genes to your children?

(Winners of the award, in general, either are dead or have become unable to use their sexual organs.) Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards#Self-selection

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Just to add some context to this quite unbelievably moronically stupid series of decisions :-

The top speed of a ZX-10R is 290 km/h

The engine produces 210 hp

It weighs 206 kg

It does 0 - 100 kmh in 2.8 seconds.

The parents must be complete morons and above the law. They are certainly teaching him irresponsibility and impunity very well.

Some people might be plain stupid and even be proud that their son is riding such a bike.

It's a phenomenon that happens all over the Kingdom right now.

You can see plenty of big bikes on the roads ridden by teenagers, but the sad truth is not for long, and they're gone.

Some are lucky, and some are not. 

I always hear from my son who just had an accident with which bike and that's like a disease that has to stop. 

Just have a look at schools where even the teachers come in helmet less ( and often brainless, as well). Non-functioning education does the rest. 

The loss of face can easily turn into the loss of head and other body parts. 

13 hours ago, webfact said:

She said their family had sent him to get big bike training although he was too young to have a motorbike licence.

Sorry dear .. That is not good enough .. You need yrs of experience riding smaller capacity machinery under all conditions before taking on one of those .. Most bikes of that ilk are capable of a 100mph in 1st gear and then onto 180+ mph at least with the acceleration to match .. that's a mile every 20 sec's , about the limit of the human eye's range to clearly see things like other vehicle's in the distance and their intentions ( indicators , brake lights etc ) by the time you have processed what you're eyes are seeing what was a mile in front is now only 1/2 mile .. already it is near impossible to stop within that 1/2 mile from that sort of speed .. and if you can it will be more by luck than judgement .. training or not a 13 yo boy with no license and no experience of bigger motorcycles was no match for this bike .. The parents should be held responsible and liable for this for buying him the bike in the 1st place .. 

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Darwinism at work.

13 hours ago, moe666 said:

You have to die to be part of that very select group

A Vulcan viewpoint:

As long as an individual won't have descendants he is effectively "dead" in Darwinian terms and the surviving gene pool will have been strengthened.

As a human, I hope other families will learn from this tragic situation and don't suffer the pain this rider's family will experience from this day forward.

His rich parents sent their 13 year old son away on a 1000cc bike, you would think they had some sort of education , when they could afford to buy the bike in the first place. 
But the Thai brains works in mysterious ways. 

I remember when i first rode my uncle's bike when i was 18, living with my uncle. My mom travelled all night on a night bus same day after hearing about it just to pick a fight with my uncle (her brother) for allowing me to ride his bike. What are these new generation moms thinking? 13year old on a big bike????? God where are you?

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Interesting. How does eliminating oneself from the gene pool work if you have already passed on your genes to your children?

(Winners of the award, in general, either are dead or have become unable to use their sexual organs.) Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards#Self-selection

My interpretation is that you can do no further damage! 

The boy should not drive at this age such a powerful bike - he drives also much to fast in that traffic conditions - surely the other motorbike changing lanes from far left - emergency lane to the right lane without care made the accident - but still the boy was to fast. Sorry that outcome 

On 7/8/2019 at 1:17 PM, holy cow cm said:

Yes I will not try to say no. But I just reviewed the video a few times again and there was more than open time to see by both parties if they had their eyes open.

One was to young much to fast much to unexperienced - one was just the regular Thai driver - just crossing lanes without care at all - remembers me to the accident - with Yamaha R1 when a old enough biker accelerated to 265 on a road which was in repair overtaking his 2 biker buddies - lost control and crashed to his death. 

Had bikes all my life and still have. After 18 years owing it I've just sold my ZX-9 - the predecessor to the ZX10. The 9 is bloody fast but the 10 is a rocket ship. Would I allow my 13 year old son to ride a ZX10? Absolutely no way! Even another 10 years wouldn't give him the 'head on his shoulders' needed to ride such a machine and survive. Madness - just can't believe this.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:13 AM, Justgrazing said:

Sorry dear .. That is not good enough .. You need yrs of experience riding smaller capacity machinery under all conditions before taking on one of those .. Most bikes of that ilk are capable of a 100mph in 1st gear and then onto 180+ mph at least with the acceleration to match .. that's a mile every 20 sec's , about the limit of the human eye's range to clearly see things like other vehicle's in the distance and their intentions ( indicators , brake lights etc ) by the time you have processed what you're eyes are seeing what was a mile in front is now only 1/2 mile .. already it is near impossible to stop within that 1/2 mile from that sort of speed .. and if you can it will be more by luck than judgement .. training or not a 13 yo boy with no license and no experience of bigger motorcycles was no match for this bike .. The parents should be held responsible and liable for this for buying him the bike in the 1st place .. 

A lot of us old codgers went through the slowly increasing power and speed process with bikes. Starting with things like ratty old Tiger Cubs etc. BSA Bantams that may as well have been fitted with a calendar instead of a speedo. Even 'big' bikes 500/650's were not rockets, althogh some were called that.

Thare is no real learning curve now and here there is no effective training.

Anyway, the parents were/are daft to think a 13 year old would have any clue what to do with todays 1000cc bikes.

I've said this before and will say it again.... when are the authorities going to start clamping down on underage bike riders.  No license, probably no insurance.... yet we see them every day screaming around the streets.

Archived