BANGKOK
webfact

Holiday from hell: How eating Pad Thai from food court in Thailand left Aussie couple with debilitating illness

55 minutes ago, tandor said:

...really!...do you also think Chili kills bacteria?

Chili and garlic are pretty good bactericides. Without spices that kill bacteria, most tropical countries would become uninhabitable. Ideal conditions for propagation in food.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Pretty easy to narrow down the meal that starts an episode of food poisoning.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Not Dientamoeba Fragilis as it can take hours or days.

Very unlucky to fall seriously ill. However, no evidence that it comes from a plate of pad thai. And not considered are all other meals they ate in Thailand without a problem. Indeed many of us eat in Thailand with rarely a problem. Very small risk if something like this happening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Maybe it was airline food that did them in....

Incubation period for D fragilis is a bit unknown so it could very well be.

What a load of rubbish. My Thai wife and I go to BigC in Khon Kaen 2-3 times a week and take the grand kid 3 and a half. We go to the food court while the kid is playing in the play section we get some food. I always get Pad Thai and see it cooking in front of me. I have the prawns. Done in a big flat pan it is fried not sizzling but bloody hot there is nothing goes in it to cause that problem. 7 years been doing this no prob. Their prob was definatally not Pad Thai. They have had something else.

Just another excess for losing business i cant remember i ate last week let alone 2 years ago and pretty sure eaten a few meals since then 

Edited by craigieboy1973

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've been eating pad thai goong in restaurants and food courts all over Thailand for ten years now. It's my fallback dish if I don't like what else is on offer. Never been sick from it. Maybe it's my habit of asking the cook to add chili while they are cooking, and hold the sugar.

I've been violently ill here once from a frozen meal. That's it.

I don't know how the couple managed to isolate their food poisoning to one dish of pad thai, unless they remembered an off-taste. Which begs the question of why they would keep eating it.

Sometimes a bad food might taste off... and bad.... . But you can't always go by the taste.  A food may taste perfectly normal and fine and still harbor a bacteria or parasite that will make you deadly ill.

5 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Pretty easy to narrow down the meal that starts an episode of food poisoning.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

It's sarcasm people. See the four little dots?... 

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Maybe it was airline food that did them in....

It may have been their own food as a result of el cut while their were on holiday .. 🤔

Hush, dont tell, if they knew they would probably leave their home and never go back … 

3 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Sometimes a bad food might taste off... and bad.... . But you can't always go by the taste.  A food may taste perfectly normal and fine and still harbor a bacteria or parasite that will make you deadly ill.

Agree. However, if it tasted perfectly normal and fine, how did the couple identify that one dish as the cause of their illness?

So many responses.  Is this what they mean by a viral story?

Sorry guys i think they are talking crap  They narrowed it down to 1 dish I am aussie and i say to you couple u are bullshitters Gives the thais a break will you

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

So many responses.  Is this what they mean by a viral story?

Parasites, not viruses. However, your pun is appreciated by the cognoscenti.