Holiday from hell: How eating Pad Thai from food court in Thailand left Aussie couple with debilitating illness

webfact

2 hours ago, easydoesit said:

where they picked up the virus, 

That's the whole point.  It's not a virus but a parasite.  It has nothing to do with food poisoning.  The whole story is complete BS!

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

If that was Thai bashing, your quoting of so many posts with replies, is TVF bashing as most of your replies are from someone with too much time on their hands, get a life mate !

I have too much time on my hands... says 4MyEgo with 

6,388 posts to his name LOL.

No need for your aggressive grumpy old man response of, 'get a life mate'!  I am certainly not your mate.

Perhaps you don't understand how offensive and aggressive your posts come across to others.. in this thread and others.  

Just came back from eating lovely Thai food, prepared by Thai people... the same people that you said... ALL Thais 'do not give a rats about hygiene'!  And, you are 'not' a Thai basher.  

Reported "flame" post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:34 PM, londonthai said:

Almost impossible to get a parasite from a freshly cooked meal. More likely from sushi, undercooked fish or meat. From contaminated water or unwashed fruit, vegetable salad. 

They dragged going to doctors and getting just a simple antibiotic for 4 weeks. Over the last 2 years their infection spread, should be treated as soon as they got their first symptoms without affecting their lifes. 

On the first visit to doctors they should point out that they came back from a tropical country and a simple laboratory test will show this parasite. 

The story smell fake, hard to believe their delayed treatment and doctors incompetence

I totally agree I have had food poisoning two or three times in Thailand and the effects are so severe that you have to seek help luckily Thai Pharmacists are as good as Australian GP’s ! This is a fake story for sure. 

41 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You said there were so many chemicals in Thai food that you would get cancer.

Yes, did I stutter? Even their "Organic" fruits and vegetables have shown a huge percentage as having chemicals on them that would make them dangerous, surely not "Organic" by any metric.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:34 AM, londonthai said:

Almost impossible to get a parasite from a freshly cooked meal. More likely from sushi, undercooked fish or meat. From contaminated water or unwashed fruit, vegetable salad. 

They dragged going to doctors and getting just a simple antibiotic for 4 weeks. Over the last 2 years their infection spread, should be treated as soon as they got their first symptoms without affecting their lifes. 

On the first visit to doctors they should point out that they came back from a tropical country and a simple laboratory test will show this parasite. 

The story smell fake, hard to believe their delayed treatment and doctors incompetence

Correct.

Most possible an plausible cause is water. First drinking water, second from swiming, third from a dirty toilet sink, fourth from even bottled water.

1. maybe from brushing teeth in a hotel and rinsing the mouth.

2. Fresh water in a cono or a hotel with wrong clening. Or maybe even swimming in a lake or a river.

3. You touch there inside maybe a wrong and not cleaned object

4. Since we and the family in Thailand do bottling water in 20 liter, 5 liter, 1.5 liter, 0,5 liter bottles and 0.3 liter plastic glasses. I know what are the riks in there.

I know the BIG names in bottled water are okay. Some smaller also but. I always ask who has a SIP-CIP cleaning and cleans as well with hot caustic as well with plain chlorine.

I did work 12,5 years with the worlds largest brewery combination.

I know many asian breweries do not even clean SIP/CIP.

CIP is clean in process

SIP is sterilize in process.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cip cleaning  

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I have too much time on my hands... says 4MyEgo with 

6,388 posts to his name LOL.

No need for your aggressive grumpy old man response of, 'get a life mate'!  I am certainly not your mate.

Perhaps you don't understand how offensive and aggressive your posts come across to others.. in this thread and others.  

Just came back from eating lovely Thai food, prepared by Thai people... the same people that you said... ALL Thais 'do not give a rats about hygiene'!  And, you are 'not' a Thai basher.  

Image result for animated gif of baby crying

23 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Just never got "into" Thai food. Plus, I always had a suspicion that it would be red hot/too hot.

This was reinforced some years ago when I ordered some spicy noodles, way too hot for me, gave the plate to a friend, wasted money also.

I'm not a fussy eater, but I'm not the most adventurous either.

...and this is relevant because?........

1 hour ago, Rori ban khun fang said:

Correct.

Most possible an plausible cause is water. First drinking water, second from swiming, third from a dirty toilet sink, fourth from even bottled water.

1. maybe from brushing teeth in a hotel and rinsing the mouth.

2. Fresh water in a cono or a hotel with wrong clening. Or maybe even swimming in a lake or a river.

3. You touch there inside maybe a wrong and not cleaned object

4. Since we and the family in Thailand do bottling water in 20 liter, 5 liter, 1.5 liter, 0,5 liter bottles and 0.3 liter plastic glasses. I know what are the riks in there.

I know the BIG names in bottled water are okay. Some smaller also but. I always ask who has a SIP-CIP cleaning and cleans as well with hot caustic as well with plain chlorine.

I did work 12,5 years with the worlds largest brewery combination.

I know many asian breweries do not even clean SIP/CIP.

CIP is clean in process

SIP is sterilize in process.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cip cleaning  

It appears this parasite is ingested as part of feral matter - so most of what you wrote is pure conjecture.

Basically if someone preparing food has the parasite and doesn't wash their hands after using the loo, then they can pass it onto the food they are handling/serving......or maybe the OPs' dirty hands had picked something up and they didn't wash them before eating.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyBKK said:

Antibiotic is the wrong medication for a parasite...

not in all cases as highleted in red is an option used for treatment

"Current recommendations for therapy include one of the following drugs: iodoquinol (drug of choice), tetracycline, paromomycin or metronidazole." https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/997239-medication

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

It was a parasitic infection, not food poisoning,  Totally unrelated to food poisoning.

"food poisoning" is poisoning that comes from food - it can take many forms, bacterial, viral parasitic or even just a simple added toxin.

however I have never said it was anything but a parasite - if you read the post I was replying to it was referring to an inaccurate post by someone else.

28 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Admitting my limited experience with Thai food, this thread is about Thai food, so it's relevant.

I've been here a long time and I really eat as little Thai food as is possible.

I react quite strongly to chilli and I'm one of the people who also feel that corriander tastes like strong soap. Something like 5% of people have the same reaction to corriander.

Strange thing is that I love pepper, especially Kampot pepper. Weird in'it. ???? Love mince and tatties with a big dollop of Kampot pepper in it.

Anyhooo, to try and pin their problems down to one meal in Thailand two years ago seems a Bogan stunt.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:34 PM, londonthai said:

You very ignorant and maybe you need to go see a doctor.  It wasn't infection.   It was a parasite.  I had a buddy who had a similar  life  experience.  He competed in China.   Many doctor visits but finally  he self diagnosed and found as doctor who would listen.  Some rare parasite that  western doctors never learn  about. 

Having read all the reports and comments:

How can anybody who comes to a tropical country, ingest a parasite that takes quite a long time to manifest itself via symptoms and pin that down to one particular meal?

Australia is unique insofar distance and isolation makes it relatively parasite-free and - as a result - local doctors are inexperienced in diagnosing them.  Hence the long tine to find out what was wrong with the couple.

The rest of the story smacks of an attempt for money - nothing more - - - -

3 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I see the brave and true TVF detective posters have wrapped up another case, what would we do without them?

You would have nowhere to post your pathetic attempt at sarcasm. 

It's a pity you judge everybody by your own attributes and standards.  To alleviate your ignorance - I spent 30 years in an Australian police force before retiring to Thailand.  many of those years were spent working in international peace-keeping forces in tropical countries.

14 hours ago, Elkski said:

You very ignorant and maybe you need to go see a doctor.  It wasn't infection.   It was a parasite.  I had a buddy who had a similar  life  experience.  He competed in China.   Many doctor visits but finally  he self diagnosed and found as doctor who would listen.  Some rare parasite that  western doctors never learn  about. 

I think the ignorance lies with yourself........

Infection: The invasion and multiplication of microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and parasites that are not normally present within the body. An infection may cause no symptoms and be subclinical, or it may cause symptoms and be clinically apparent.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:28 PM, BobbyL said:

It is great how two years later they can specifically say it was the Pad Thai. Did they keep their stools after that meal as evidence?

you try to be funny,but you show only your total ignorance;

to test for amoeba you have to give samples of your stools to lab.

they will keep it for reference.

Capito?

On 7/8/2019 at 1:50 PM, bert bloggs said:

When you get food poisoning ,you get it within an hour or so , not days later when you get home ,so their story is a load of rubbish.

You do not know how amoeba works.It attacks your liver when you come back to your country.And I know one guy who died as a result.You may suffer amoebic dysentery,as well

This thing is well known in travelers community;I would call it:comon knowledge!

apparently- not here?what is the reason?- not many travelers here,only retired geesers,first time in tropics? strong alcohol helps!it should make you happy?!

Archived