BANGKOK
webfact

Holiday from hell: How eating Pad Thai from food court in Thailand left Aussie couple with debilitating illness

4 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Blaming Thailand and the street food is totally insane.

There's other food that could be way more dangerous. I've never had any issues after eating Paad Thai, btw. 

Yeah right, try telling that to someone else. Maybe when comparing with worse third world countries lol. 
Not to mention the levels of pesticides in the food and the old oil used to cook.

Is that all foreigners ever eat in Thailand? Pad Thai , Pad Thai Pad Thai. And how many have died in the U.S. from the food they ate. Eighteen years i was finally had the runs one night and was better by morning. I have eaten at thousands of restaurants throughout Thailand. Guess what? Maybe once a year i eat Pad Thai. It is so fracking boring !

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bkkbudddy said:

Greetings, 

I had many episodes of food poisoning in Thailand!  Therefore,  I'm very careful of what and where I eat in Thailand!

Greetings,

in 40 years I have only had a single episode of food poisoning in Thailand. On the other hand I have had food poisoning in Australia, U.K., USA, Mexico, Norway, Mauritania, Somalia and Singapore, So on the whole, I have had a fairly balanced diet 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems a very vague accusation, to be able to categorically state was definitely "food court food" that affected them "..shortly after returning home."

- What does that mean....hours, days, a week, what timeframe?

- What does "Food Court" mean?? There are food courts in many various facilities, i.e.Shopping cntrs, supermkts,   food stalls, on streets?? 

- Where?? Ohh, in Thailand!!! ... can that be narrowed down to a Province, City, District, Village!! Where exactly in Thailand??

- Why taken 2 years to have 7 News make a report???  Didn't have a reporter available till now???

So many holes, could drive a cattle road train thru..... typical media beat up!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I would never eat an oyster.

On one of the occasions of food-poisoning by oyster that I mentioned, this occurred at a five star hotel in Bangkok, not even a food stall. (I will not name the hotel because I don't wish to impugn what is probably otherwise a good reputation).

"If you collect bivalve molluscs (oyster, razor clams, cockles, mussels) from the wild and eat them raw, there is a reasonable chance you will poison yourself.

The list of possible toxic agents is long and worrying. Bacteria, such as E coli, are almost always present at some level in any bivalve". 

I may have to give up on the Hoy Tod. Warm water oysters are neither as delicious or as safe as cold water oysters.

7 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Is that all foreigners ever eat in Thailand? Pad Thai , Pad Thai Pad Thai. And how many have died in the U.S. from the food they ate. Eighteen years i was finally had the runs one night and was better by morning. I have eaten at thousands of restaurants throughout Thailand. Guess what? Maybe once a year i eat Pad Thai. It is so fracking boring !

I spent nearly 20 years living in Thailand and never ate Pad Thai. In fact I would go for several years of not eating any kind of Thai food at all.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

My guess is that if it's their first time in Thailand it's probably one of the few dishes they know.

This sounds like an article by The Sun. Perhaps PearthNow is co-owned by the TheSun?

• Like 1

Maybe

hes just being

Priggish

😉

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

You're right there. I only really became a regular before-food hand-washer during my time living in Thailand.

1 hour ago, yokat said:

In Thailand I genuinely feel like I need to wash my hands before eating or when coming back from outside (commute, groceries, etc). I was not like that in my home country but I really feel like I'm more at risk here.

I didn't get any major food poisoning in the last 2 years, just the occasional upset stomach and that doesn't last. I am always a little scared when sharing the sticky rice with the in-laws but so far I'm fine.

I am never without a small squeeze bottle of hand sanitizer ... Not only do I use it before eating, I also use it after riding snot infested public transportation!

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Pretty easy to narrow down the meal that starts an episode of food poisoning.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

that's true - but 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Shortly after returning home they both began to feel unwell

we can't tell from this whether they felt unwell directly after eating the pad thai

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

This sounds like an article by The Sun. Perhaps PearthNow is co-owned by the TheSun?

Worse,it's channel 7. 

Quick google search - 

Dientamoeba fragilis is a species of single-celled excavates found in the gastrointestinal tract of some humans, pigs and gorillas. It causes gastrointestinal upset in some people, but not in others. It is an important cause of travellers diarrhoea, chronic diarrhoea, fatigue and, in children, failure to thrive. Despite this, its role as a "commensal, pathobiont, or pathogen" is still debated. D. fragilis is one of the smaller parasites that are able to live in the human intestine. Dientamoeba fragilis cells are able to survive and move in fresh feces but are sensitive to aerobic environments. They dissociate when in contact or placed in saline, tap water or distilled water.

To reiterate others here I am rather unconvinced that was one plate of pad thai.  No idea how they can blame it on one specific dish on one specific day.  From my simple understanding it seems that it exists in many humans anyway and is kept in check.  Probably travel fatigue, jetlag or dehydration caused an imbalance in the host and it then started to have an effect?  Pure guess work; as opposed to sensationalist reporting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1