BANGKOK
webfact

Holiday from hell: How eating Pad Thai from food court in Thailand left Aussie couple with debilitating illness

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BTB1958 said:

They only ate one dish of food the whole time they were here.? 

..must have..no other way to prove it was the phad thai dish unless they kept a food sample and had Microbiology testing done at a nominated Thai Lab and a second sample done at an independent laboratory..one should be careful implicating without conclusive proof..IMHO

Edited by tandor
  • Like 1

I call “BULLSHIT”.   I’ve lived in Thailand for 20 years.  Have eaten from some of the seediest spots all around the country.   Never been sick.  Rarely even heard of anyone getting sick.  Chances are great it was something else from somewhere else.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

I have had food poisioning several times and even checked by eating the food again to make sure whats the cause. Most of the time its the ice in the drinks!

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Our local chemist has great food poisioning medication so never fussed and eat whatever...

...really!...do you also think Chili kills bacteria?

• Haha 1

Author and publisher of the article should be prosecuted for defamation, because of poor subject matter research.

The parasite needs 2 to 3 weeks before it could become harmful.

It's more prevalent in developed countries than in poor countries.

They could as well have contracted it in Australia.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Plenty of food in Thailand has parasites ... Som Tam with those bits of crab for instance.  Sometimes it’s not the food itself.  A cook who has parasites can pass to you if they don’t wash properly after a bowl movement etc. I have the whole family take a double course of anti parasitic meds every 6 months. 

...so you take meds for which particular parasite?...so if you pick up a different parasite you could be in trouble, yes!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

she still asks me with uncertainty after 12 years of marriage, "is ok"

Mines the same.😀😀😀

• Like 1

"Mr Prigg also vowed never to go back to Thailand, saying: “I won't go back, yeah life changing, I won't go back – ever”."

That's crazy.... you can get Dientamoeba Fragilis almost anywhere in the world... including Los Angeles, California and even ... get this.... in his own country of Australia.  

I got horrible food poisoning in Toronto, Canada one time from eating a macaroni salad from an open air market vendor.  Throwing up and diarrhea and painful stomach like crazy....  felt like I wanted to die to end the suffering. 

But it never stopped me from going back to Toronto. 

Dientamoeba fragilis has an estimated prevalence throughout the United States. Unlike majority of parasitic infections, D. fragilis is more prevalent in well-developed countries as opposed to disadvantaged and resource poor nations.The parasite is also endemic in crowded communities (i.e institutions), populations with unsatisfactory sanitation conditions, and individuals who travel to underprivileged countries. Globally, the prevalence of D. fragilis ranges from 0.3% to 90%, occurring in multiple countries including many urbanized cities such as Los Angeles, California and Sydney, Australia. Recently, D. fragilis was considered to be more prevalent than Giardia, thus leading to better diagnostics.

Ref: Wikipedia

1.  Mack, David. "Dientamoeba Fragilis Infection"Emedicine Medscape

2.  Ali Elbakri; Ahmed Al-Qahtani; Amidou Samie (2015). "An Overview of Tropical Diseases".

13 minutes ago, tandor said:

...so you take meds for which particular parasite?...so if you pick up a different parasite you could be in trouble, yes!

A general anti-parasitic medication will take care of many.....  not all .... but many various parasites.   He's probably covering about 70% of parasites if he and his family are taking a general anti-parasitic. 

Now of course that is not total 100% protection from all possible parasites.  But it's not bad.. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

After repeated visits to the doctor to try and establish what was wrong with them, tests revealed that they had contracted Dientamoeba Fragilis, a dangerous parasite, which they claim was caught from the Pad Thai dish they had eaten at a food court in Thailand.

Ok prove it.  Actually come to Thailand and make that claim in front of a camera in front of the food court.  Then wait for the defamation charges.  The fact is, they have absolutely no idea where they contracted the parasite.  

Always be cautious of seafood that has been left out for extended periods. If t can be deadly. Smell it. Check it out. Don’t just assume it is fresh! Or go vegetarian.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, tandor said:

There is a one tablet kills all available

• Confused 1

Mr Prigg also vowed never to go back to Thailand, saying: “I won't go back, yeah life changing, I won't go back – ever”.  GOOD NEWS THAT IS

He certainly is well named-Prigg

Newsflash Prigg - Dientamoeba Fragilis is widespread worldwide- even Australia. 

I got deathly ill at a food court at Hat Yai airport. It was some seafood. By the time arrived in Bangkok I could hardly keep from vomiting. Got off the plane and immediately went to a restroom where I commenced emptying the contents of my body from both ends. It was horrible. Lasted about a day.