Illegal tourists finally found at Bangkok airport

webfact

Illegal tourists finally found at Bangkok airport

8pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Following a report of an unsuccessful security operation at Suvarnabhumi airport last week comes reports of some success at last. 

Naew Na reported that Region 2 immigration police had detained 15 persons of interest on flights at the airport. 

There were 7 Chinese, 3 Ethiopian and 5 Indians on the list. 

The media said that Pol Maj-Gen Phrithipong Prayoonsiri and his team had targeted various flights but gave no specific details of each case. 

Last week the immigration officers failed to find overstaying tourists at the airport - even in the "long-stay" car park. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-08

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Ethiopians, be careful with them the fastest runners in the world

They also need to be careful about their favourite tourists, the Chinese, the Thais drowned too many to make a fuss about this. Also the Indians that they say they now want to encourage.  I say keep them away from the forests as 460 million of them like to defecate in the open.

28 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

They also need to be careful about their favourite tourists, the Chinese, the Thais drowned too many to make a fuss about this. Also the Indians that they say they now want to encourage.  I say keep them away from the forests as 460 million of them like to defecate in the open.

Send them to the forests! Surely over time won't that effectively increase tourism to new heights?

What is an illegal tourist ? A real tourist not wanted here or someone wrongly using a tourist visa ? It looks like they wanted to show numbers to save some face after last week "no overstayers at the departure hall" news.

53 minutes ago, yokat said:

What is an illegal tourist ? A real tourist not wanted here or someone wrongly using a tourist visa ? It looks like they wanted to show numbers to save some face after last week "no overstayers at the departure hall" news.

Are they meaning folks who get off flights and are aware of what doors to go through (avoiding all process and with just cabin bags) and end up on the 'outside' then just go to the taxi or bus rank.

I'm sure others have noticed the check points for staff (AOT, airline, vendor staff etc.), to go from landside are a total joke. 

What is this?  What airport?  Illegal?

I was harrassed at DMK last Tuesday an accused of not being a tourist.  Despite my passport clearly saying I spent 60 days in Malaysia, 30 days in Indonesia, and 20 days in Burma so far this year.

They eventually let me in after noting my passport not to let me in Thailand, again, unless I have a Non O visa.

If they were just trying to bump up their numbers to justify their budget, then now it makes sense.

The translation is wrong, the Thai news doesn't say "tourists". It just says 15 people were prohibited to enter Thailand.

Why did immigration have to check some flights specifically? These people would have had to pass the immigration counters anyway, and would have been deniend entry there. Unless of course the security of the airport is questionable, and it's possible for passengers to arrive and enter Thailand without passing immigration.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why did immigration have to check some flights specifically? These people would have had to pass the immigration counters anyway, and would have been deniend entry there. Unless of course the security of the airport is questionable, and it's possible for passengers to arrive and enter Thailand without passing immigration.

They are "making a show" of doing something. It is clear there is some pressure for someone above. It is not stated where this pressure is coming from. "The show" won't be for the public or even the foreign public, it is for someone in a position of power above these immigration officials.

These pointless "shows" that achieve nothing are not uncommon in the alternative universe of the Thai public sector where keeping your boss happy is far more important than quantifiable results.

Archived