How do you feel about getting a tattoo in Thailand?

Inked In Asia

53 minutes ago, petermik said:

"enhance"......are you serious :whistling:

My wife had an ugly scar (her opinion) she tried covering up with a tattoo.  Unfortunately, the artist she visited did not do a good job so now she has an ugly tattoo (we are both in agreement on this). But because of the pain suffered getting the tattoo, she will not have the tattoo corrected/improved. 

Hygiene would be a a key blocker to overcome for some. I'm not a tattoo type person but if I was, sterilisation QC and cross contamination would be something I would need to be extremely confident in. 'Tattoo people' will most likely come to you based on word of mouth or seeing your art in magazines or the web etc. I assume you want to draw in those first timers who want to take the plunge in exotic Thailand.

Remember they have probably seen the occasional rat scurry across the road or run around a small restaurant, or seen dogs and cats sitting on restaurant chairs and tables and short of giving them 5 shots of Sang Som to put them at ease, you will need to set yourself apart from the average shop here.

Maybe you could have detailed information on your medical cleaning procedures printed on your front window, have your staff ready to answer questions about cleanliness and show your autoclave / ultrasonic cleaner in the shop window so passers-by could see the instruments being sterilized.

It is very proactive to see you seeking opinions. maybe you could seek out some direct marketing by having some good looking guys and girls drop into guest houses and ask 3 important questions about tattoos. You may even pick up new business if you get the correct interviewers.

I have had many tattoos done here in Phuket, bamboo and machine. They are great either way. Just make sure the tattoo artist never ever uses chinese inks. They are lethal. Just search the damage they can and do cause to the person receiving the tattoo.

22 minutes ago, petermik said:

I had a pal do exactly that...he was delighted at first until someone told him it looked more like pubic hair :clap2:

p.s. he wears a baseball cap now.

I bet he looked a right c...t!   LOL

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Do you mean a bald man can have 'hair' tattooed on his pate.

I'm a cue ball... I've always wanted a 1980's tight gentleman's perm to about shoulder length. Is that possible? ????

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Do you mean a bald man can have 'hair' tattooed on his pate.

The process is called scalp micro pigmentation. The procedure uses dot work tattooing to replicate the hair follicles of a shaven head, rather than just seeing bald skin the appearance is of a really 'close' hair cut. It is actually quite convincing 

56 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Hygiene would be a a key blocker to overcome for some. I'm not a tattoo type person but if I was, sterilisation QC and cross contamination would be something I would need to be extremely confident in. 'Tattoo people' will most likely come to you based on word of mouth or seeing your art in magazines or the web etc. I assume you want to draw in those first timers who want to take the plunge in exotic Thailand.

Remember they have probably seen the occasional rat scurry across the road or run around a small restaurant, or seen dogs and cats sitting on restaurant chairs and tables and short of giving them 5 shots of Sang Som to put them at ease, you will need to set yourself apart from the average shop here.

Maybe you could have detailed information on your medical cleaning procedures printed on your front window, have your staff ready to answer questions about cleanliness and show your autoclave / ultrasonic cleaner in the shop window so passers-by could see the instruments being sterilized.

It is very proactive to see you seeking opinions. maybe you could seek out some direct marketing by having some good looking guys and girls drop into guest houses and ask 3 important questions about tattoos. You may even pick up new business if you get the correct interviewers.

Fantastic. Great and wise words. We do have our own policy and work to western standards. I value your input greatly. Much appreciated. 

52 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I'm a cue ball... I've always wanted a 1980's tight gentleman's perm to about shoulder length. Is that possible? ????

HAHAHA that is not something we can help with

6 minutes ago, Inked In Asia said:

The process is called scalp micro pigmentation. The procedure uses dot work tattooing to replicate the hair follicles of a shaven head, rather than just seeing bald skin the appearance is of a really 'close' hair cut. It is actually quite convincing 

And do men actually pay to have that done?

Get a large mesh colander and a can of spray paint.   LOL 

I just Googled it and yes, it IS convincing, sorry for the sarcasm.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And do men actually pay to have that done?

Get a large mesh colander and a can of spray paint.   LOL 

I just Googled it and yes, it IS convincing, sorry for the sarcasm.

agreed, this is the one tattoo that actually look better after then before, as an extra bonus it doubles up as sun protection

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

agreed, this is the one tattoo that actually look better after then before, as an extra bonus it doubles up as sun protection

I doubt the sun protection. How can it? Still bare skin exposed to sun.

I guess one point could be recourse, its far easier to go back to a shop "at home" than it is one 1000's of miles away. I would also agree with the others, in the comments about hygiene. I have several tattoos done here with ZERO issues and the levels of hygiene where no different to back home. 

3 minutes ago, eezergood said:

I guess one point could be recourse, its far easier to go back to a shop "at home" than it is one 1000's of miles away. I would also agree with the others, in the comments about hygiene. I have several tattoos done here with ZERO issues and the levels of hygiene where no different to back home. 

Recourse, total fair comment. 

• Thanks 1

Well thanks for asking....

IMHO, I feel that nobody should get a tattoo in Thailand or any other country, ever.

Almost everyone I know who has a tattoo actually regrets getting the tattoo that they once thought was “awesome” long ago.

Tattoos fade and stretch, and look more and more ridiculous the older one becomes.

Tattoos were kinda “cool” or “edgy” or badass” 20+ years ago when relatively few people had them, but now practically every wannabe has one, and it has actually become kinda uncool to be part of the herd of tattooed sheep.

If one still feels that they must try the “experience” of having a tattoo, then they should consider getting only a relatively small one(no bigger than the circumference of a golf ball) in a spot that can easily be hidden with clothing. They should just remember one other thing, the bigger the tattoo, the bigger the eventual regret.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Well thanks for asking....

IMHO, I feel that nobody should get a tattoo in Thailand or any other country, ever.

Almost everyone I know who has a tattoo actually regrets getting the tattoo that they once thought was “awesome” long ago.

Tattoos fade and stretch, and look more and more ridiculous the older one becomes.

Tattoos were kinda “cool” or “edgy” or badass” 20+ years ago when relatively few people had them, but now practically every wannabe has one, and it has actually become kinda uncool to be part of the herd of tattooed sheep.

If one still feels that they must try the “experience” of having a tattoo, then they should consider getting only a relatively small one(no bigger than the circumference of a golf ball) in a spot that can easily be hidden with clothing. They should just remember one other thing, the bigger the tattoo, the bigger the eventual regret.

I hear what you are saying. Lots of clients come in for touch ups due to fading or cover ups due to the tattoo being a bad mistake in the past.

There are the odd few people we have heard of that get 'invisible' tattoos. The whole process is the same but with using ink. The client experiences the process of a tattoo without actually getting ink in their skin. 

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Are facial tatoos done here - what are your thoughts about them?

Yes, on occasion people get them. Facial tattoos are not for the feint hearted. I guess if someone came to the studio with no tattoos and their first choice was a huge facial tattoo we would probably turn them away and suggest getting used to tattoos on other body parts. Tattoo lovers that would like to add to their collection with a facial tattoo is easier to help. 

I think some facial tattoos look fantastic and some look terrible, but, that goes for tattoos on other body parts as well. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Inked In Asia said:

Yes, on occasion people get them. Facial tattoos are not for the feint hearted. I guess if someone came to the studio with no tattoos and their first choice was a huge facial tattoo we would probably turn them away and suggest getting used to tattoos on other body parts. Tattoo lovers that would like to add to their collection with a facial tattoo is easier to help. 

I think some facial tattoos look fantastic and some look terrible, but, that goes for tattoos on other body parts as well. 

could not agree more!

Great if you want to limit your availability for prospective jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Great if you want to limit your availability for prospective jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely, but then most of these types that get Tattooed don't ever have a job....:whistling:

Cat, pigeons etc...

:laugh:

Edited by faraday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Absolutely, but then most of these types that get Tattooed don't ever have a job....:whistling:

Cat, pigeons etc...

:laugh:

People from all walks of life get tattoos, whether facial or elsewhere. Business owner, barbers, rock stars, religious people, people supporting their tribe, DJ's, mechanics you name it. 

51 minutes ago, Inked In Asia said:

The problem is with society and not with the potential employee

That's a broad statement, don't you think?

Appearance does matter, & despite what we might think, we are influenced by it.

Btw, my comment about Tattooed types was actually a joke...

Some Japanese people have ' body suits' - I take it you're familiar with this?

I don't understand why they do this; surely Tatoos are a work in progress, to a greater or lesser degree, & achieving near 100% coverage somehow defeats this...?

What's your hourly rate, or is that dependant on the design - if that's the correct word, detail?