In jab at U.S., China vice president says world cannot shut China out

webfact

In jab at U.S., China vice president says world cannot shut China out

By Ben Blanchard

2019-07-08T032810Z_1_LYNXNPEF67065_RTROPTP_4_GERMANY-CHINA.JPG

Chinese Vice President Wang Qishan arrives for a meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel at the Chancellery in Berlin, Germany, May 31, 2019. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke/Files

BEIJING (Reuters) - China and the rest of the world must co-exist, Chinese Vice President Wang Qishan said on Monday, in an indirect jab at the United States with which Beijing is currently trying to resolve a bitter trade war.

"China's development can't shut out the rest of the world. The world's development can't shut out China," Wang said in an opening address to the World Peace Forum at Beijing's elite Tsinghua University.

Wang also warned against "protectionism in the name of national security", without mentioning the United States, and called major powers to make more contributions to global peace and stability.

The Trump administration has accused China of engaging in unfair trade practices that discriminate against U.S. firms, forced technology transfers and intellectual property rights theft, all charges Beijing has denied.

Both sides have levelled increasingly severe tariffs on each other's imports.

China has also been angered by U.S. sanctions against Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies Co Ltd over national security concerns.

Wang, who is extremely close to Chinese President Xi Jinping and who only rarely speaks in public, reiterated China's commitment to opening up.

The world needs China just as much as China needs the world, said Wang, who became vice president last year having previously lead Xi's fight against deep-rooted corruption.

"Large countries must assume their responsibilities and set an example, make more contributions to global peace and stability, and broaden the path of joint development." he said.

"Development is the key to resolving all issues," Wang told an audience that included senior Beijing-based Western diplomats and former European Council President Herman Van Rompuy.

Top representatives of the United States and China are organising a resumption of talks for this week to try to resolve the year-long trade war between the world's two largest economies.

The two sides have been in communication by telephone since last month's G20 summit, when U.S. President DonaldTrump and Xi agreed to relaunch talks that had stalled in May.

Talks between the two sides broke down in May after U.S. officials accused China of pulling back from commitments it had made previously in the text of an agreement that negotiators said was nearly finished.

The two countries have been at loggerheads over a series of other issues, from human rights to the disputed South China Sea and U.S. support of self-ruled Taiwan, claimed by China as its own.

Wang said that no matter how the international situation develops or how China develops, it will walk the path of peace, and not seek spheres of influence or expansion.

"If there is no peaceful, stable international environment, there will be no development to talk of."

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-08

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Large countries must assume their responsibilities and set an example, make more contributions to global peace and stability, and broaden the path of joint development." he said.

glad to hear but actions speak loud than words, start respecting international law, stop bullying neighbors it will lead to peace and stability

Wang said:

The world needs China just as much as China needs the world, said Wang, who became vice president last year having previously lead Xi's fight against deep-rooted corruption.

WRONG... they need us (the rest of the world) much more than we need them.

There are only a few things that China has that are hard to source elsewhere.  For instance, lithium.  By happenstance China dominates the world supply of that metal.  I can't think of any technology where they are the world leader, at least not yet.  Perhaps in use of CRISPR gene editing on human embryos but only because they are not bothered by the ethical considerations.

They are not that far behind in many areas thanks to industrial espionage.  Read "The Shadow War" to see how they managed to steal so much technical knowledge. 

57 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

glad to hear but actions speak loud than words, start respecting international law, stop bullying neighbors it will lead to peace and stability

I didnt read the item but assumed you were talking to the US for the endless number of countries they have invaded or screwed over since the Vet Cong ricies gave them the middle finger? We all have different perceptions. Would be interesting to tally it all up and see who has transgressed against others the most...China or the USA? I know where my perceptions would lay the odds quite readily. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

China and the rest of the world must co-exist, Chinese Vice President Wang Qishan said on Monday, 

Tell you what, wang, you let the Uighur out of the internment camps you have them in and return their children to their care, and the world is more likely to accept your commitment to co-existence. 

"China's development can't shut out the rest of the world. The world's development can't shut out China," Wang said, become a "jab at the US"?....       Only the left interprets truth as fightin' words... 

In 2017, China exported $2.41T and imported $1.54T, resulting in a positive trade balance of $873B

U.S. goods and services trade with China totaled an estimated $737.1 billion in 2018. Exports were $179.3 billion; imports were $557.9 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with China was $378.6 billion in 2018.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The world needs China just as much as China needs the world, said Wang

Sorry Wang Qishan, the numbers don't lie. Your economy is massively reliant on exporting goods. If other countries decide to impose tariffs on China to protect their own balance of trade, China is in a world of trouble.

The West's landfills are heaving with badly-made Chinese electronics and plastic goods. We don't need China all that badly.

18 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

see how they managed to steal so much technical knowledge. 

They didn't steal most of it. It was given to them.  I.e. Want to build a factory? You have to give ALL the drawings to the Min. of Industry or whatever.

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Tell you what, wang, you let the Uighur out of the internment camps you have them in and return their children to their care, and the world is more likely to accept your commitment to co-existence. 

Yes, many Uighur got lock up for brainwashing, but their number is too small for the world to really care.  

The Uighur area in western China is too dry and harsh to sustain a huge population. 

It is mostly desert land that is suitable for atomic bomb testing.  

20 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The Chinese are building a new dynasty using stolen US technology and USD...it is about time someone clips their wings and brings them back down to earth...

By their own statistic, 45% of the population is still living in the country side. 

There is still plenty of cheap labor to make use of the stolen western technology. 

They will continue to work 60 hours a week like dogs to hope for a chance to fly.   

19 hours ago, nkg said:

Sorry Wang Qishan, the numbers don't lie. Your economy is massively reliant on exporting goods. If other countries decide to impose tariffs on China to protect their own balance of trade, China is in a world of trouble.

The West's landfills are heaving with badly-made Chinese electronics and plastic goods. We don't need China all that badly.

20% lower in quality, but 40 % lower in price. 

Plenty of people want bargains.   

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, Mavideol said:

22 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Maybe the USA can start giving people who have been kidnapped and imprisoned without ever seeing a lawyer a proper trail too.

20 hours ago, nkg said:

So why are the Westerners buying all that "crap" then?

57 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe the USA can start giving people who have been kidnapped and imprisoned without ever seeing a lawyer a proper trail too.

I’ve always been equally critical of usa’s human rights abuses, but this story is about China isn’t it.

22 hours ago, nkg said:

If “Ifs and buts” we’re candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Xmas.

What other countries would even consider imposing trade tariffs on China? The US is almost alone in this, with only a few exceptions (India, Hong Kong, Holland), whom wont help by joining the trumps winnable war. The trade deficits of other countries pale in comparison to the US debt..... and many countries have a surplus in trade (Australia, for example), so they won’t help either.

the only way other countries would shoot their own foot, was if forced to do so by the threat of secondary sanctions, as are being threatened by the trump, against countries engaging in business with Iran.

the trump and it’s acolytes are the only ones supporting this “easy to win” trade war, so other countries imposing tariffs on the US until they stop destabilizing world markets, is just as likely to work for them, as MAGA ( the evil policy behind the tariffs) is designed to benifit America, and not these other countries that you hypothesize might jump onto the band wagon to help.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/chinas-top-import-partners/

2 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

By their own statistic, 45% of the population is still living in the country side. 

There is still plenty of cheap labor to make use of the stolen western technology. 

They will continue to work 60 hours a week like dogs to hope for a chance to fly.   

Yes nearly as bad as Thailand where most of the population works 20 hours a day

3 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Yes nearly as bad as Thailand where most of the population works 20 hours a day

no place in China works more than 8-9 hours day as standard working hours, if they work more than that it's the employees choice to make extra money but employer can't force them to do so.... as for Thailand, the ones working in construction next to my place work and I mean WORK barely 5-6 hours day, the ones that I saw working 10-12 hours day are Burmese, Laos and some Cambodians

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

no place in China works more than 8-9 hours day as standard working hours, if they work more than that it's the employees choice to make extra money but employer can't force them to do so.... as for Thailand, the ones working in construction next to my place work and I mean WORK barely 5-6 hours day, the ones that I saw working 10-12 hours day are Burmese, Laos and some Cambodians

China is an over populated place where the employers have the upper hand. 

As of now, most Chinese factory workers work in small factories. 

Only the lucky ones work in big corporate type factories. 

Use google translate to read about real hellish life in China, 

QQ.com  is the equivalent of msn.com  

Once you make it out of the big Chinese cities, especially the one million or smaller cities,  

it is all third world.   

I visited the Eastern Qing Tomb next to Zunhua City two summers ago; 

the fish and meat in that city's wet market were only suitable for dogs and cats. 

The food in Beijing's supermarkets was just as good as in any other western country; 

I was fortunate enough to have a pocket full of 100rmb.         

The U.S. can't shut China out of the world, but the U.S. can shut China out of the U.S. Let's see them invent the "next best thing" without stealing the ideas and technology from Americans. Lets see how well they do after we kick 340,000 Chinese student-spies out of our universities. Lets see how vibrant China becomes after they attend their own corrupt, third-rate universities.

22 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

China is an over populated place where the employers have the upper hand. 

As of now, most Chinese factory workers work in small factories. 

Only the lucky ones work in big corporate type factories. 

Use google translate to read about real hellish life in China, 

QQ.com  is the equivalent of msn.com  

Once you make it out of the big Chinese cities, especially the one million or smaller cities,  

it is all third world.   

I visited the Eastern Qing Tomb next to Zunhua City two summers ago; 

the fish and meat in that city's wet market were only suitable for dogs and cats. 

The food in Beijing's supermarkets was just as good as in any other western country; 

I was fortunate enough to have a pocket full of 100rmb.         

I don't have to read anything or use google anything, I live in China thus I know what I am talking about, no need for rhetoric

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

I don't have to read anything or use google anything, I live in China thus I know what I am talking about, no need for rhetoric

If you live in a nice condominiums in Beijing or Shanghai, 

you might think 70% of the Chinese are lucky like you.  

I first met Chinese college students on a language exchange web site back in 2007.  

The type of students from small cities with a population of less than one million. 

The students gave me inside information about off the beaten track old Chinese historical sites.   

That was how I learned the huge difference between Beijing, Shanghai and the small cities. 

23 hours ago, Uptooyoo said:

The U.S. can't shut China out of the world, but the U.S. can shut China out of the U.S. Let's see them invent the "next best thing" without stealing the ideas and technology from Americans. Lets see how well they do after we kick 340,000 Chinese student-spies out of our universities. Lets see how vibrant China becomes after they attend their own corrupt, third-rate universities.

Chinese college students study hard because they fear hunger, 

a very high percentage of them major in some type of science. 

A high percentage of American students study liberal art because they have a social safety net to fall back on. 

Chinese students can still attend European universities. 

In the super wealthy USA, there are more colleges than there are supermarkets; therefore, the quality very.  

Globalization started decades ago, and no degree of isolationism, based on politics and ignorance can stop it. It is the wave of the future and either you accept it, and deal with it, or you become an island unto yourself, much as America is becoming, with it's "go at it alone" agenda and sloganeering. It is fine to use as a tool to win an election, but it is not practical in the real world. We all need each other, allies are a good thing, and the practical side of things is always going to win out.

Sure, there is alot China can do, to improve it's trade policies. And some pressure is needed to insure that. But, there is a difference between a soft touch, and a sledgehammer. Trump is a horrible negotiator, and not much has been accomplished to date with his rabid bull in a china closet approach. No pun intended.

22 hours ago, Traubert said:

By the way, China has universities placed at 14 and 17 in the top 50, they didn't have any universities at all in 1979. Cornell, Penn State and Carnegie are below them, are they fourth rate?

Do you have the slightest idea how Chinese universities achieve those scores. Perhaps the biggest factor in any university's ranking is the publications of its faculty and especially the citations of those publications in other research. How does this apply to China? Chinese universities are hiring American and some European academics as adjuncts with salaries amounting to $50,000+ per year. These are mainly senior academics, some approaching retirement or in actual retirement, with substantial publications, both current and past, that almost automatically generate cites when they're published. These adjuncts, however, likely visit China once or twice just in order to go through charade of the hire. They neither teach or participate in the Chinese university at all. Effectively, for $50,000, the Chinese are buying the citations.

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

Do you have the slightest idea how Chinese universities achieve those scores. Perhaps the biggest factor in any university's ranking is the publications of its faculty and especially the citations of those publications in other research. How does this apply to China? Chinese universities are hiring American and some European academics as adjuncts with salaries amounting to $50,000+ per year. These are mainly senior academics, some approaching retirement or in actual retirement, with substantial publications, both current and past, that almost automatically generate cites when they're published. These adjuncts, however, likely visit China once or twice just in order to go through charade of the hire. They neither teach or participate in the Chinese university at all. Effectively, for $50,000, the Chinese are buying the citations.

Unless you can document that it's a nonsense post and a product of your imagination.  You made the claim now back it up with facts.  

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

it's no longer $50,000, starting salary is $100,000 to have a Westerner academic listed on the Chinese university board, my friend his a well known law academic, hired early 2019 for that amount, he has been to China 3 times since he was hired (contracted) 2 times for a lecture conference (paid extra money) he said invited guests paid $10,000 to attend....

Just now, Mavideol said:

it's no longer $50,000, starting salary is $100,000 to have a Westerner academic listed on the Chinese university board, my friend his a well known law academic, hired early 2019 for that amount, he has been to China 3 times since he was hired (contracted) 2 times for a lecture conference (paid extra money) he said invited guests paid $10,000 to attend....

Well, I went to my last international conference about three years ago. It was the talk at the time. Prior to that, the Chinese were simply lifting published conference proceedings and putting their names on other people's work, then submitting for publication. Apparently, that has died down after considerable international exposure and ridicule. Now, they just buy their reputations outright. BTW, there are similar, albeit not as lucrative and infinitely more Byzantine, schemes afoot in a certain SE Asian country and its top ranked universities. 

Archived