Why I'm not accepted everywhere as a retired tourist to buy a government low price bus ticket?

Alfa

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

A single purchase of a car or a condo means you’ve paid more tax in a single event than many Thai people pay in a lifetime 

that's because they are poor mate. Like I said, you are here on sufferance, to spend your money, not to whinge that it isn't like home, or that you are treated differently to the locals, of course you are. 

Probably....so in fact you don’t know but it validates you bashing him

Seems fair enough - he is bashing everything about Thailand which is not even his country - - it is a place he chose to come and they were kindly enuf to let him in and then he bashes them... and you support that bashing. 

A single purchase of a car or a condo means you’ve paid more tax in a single event than many Thai people pay in a lifetime 

Maybe... but it is their country - - not his... he is implying we are not guests here... I guess I am tired of farang assuming they deserve special treatment and to write laws here because they spend their pension here and buy noodle soup... they are surely not as necessary as they think they are... 

10 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Lol... pity them. It has saved me money and like other posters on this thread said, I don't like giving money away for no good reason at all just because I am a farang. At our local hot springs I get in for local prices. Same as the lakes.

Mine too. and I love to see the puzzled looks when I hand it over to someone who’s never seen one

7 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Seems fair enough - he is bashing everything about Thailand which is not even his country - - it is a place he chose to come and they were kindly enuf to let him in and then he bashes them... and you support that bashing. 

I only bash unfairness, whosever country it is

4 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I only bash unfairness, whosever country it is

I am sure every country can give you a very very long list of unfair acts... 

Would you say that the OP making a big stink over something that he is probably not entitled to, is unfair to the worker who had to listen to his rant and unless he is fluid in Thai, have thrust in her face in a foreign language? It sounds to me that he was probably quite abusive... is that fair? Or does it give all of us a bad name... 

from the post, he said he got his info from some old man - but the people working and in charge said No... then he fought them. 

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

that's because they are poor mate. Like I said, you are here on sufferance, to spend your money, not to whinge that it isn't like home, or that you are treated differently to the locals, of course you are. 

It’s not necessarily because they’re poor and I’m not your mate. I have not whinged. I’m more often than not treated like a local around the places I frequent. By your reckoning you could stay Starbucks are poor.

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

I am sure every country can give you a very very long list of unfair acts... 

Would you say that the OP making a big stink over something that he is probably not entitled to, is unfair to the worker who had to listen to his rant and unless he is fluid in Thai, have thrust in her face in a foreign language? It sounds to me that he was probably quite abusive... is that fair? Or does it give all of us a bad name... 

No point in my commenting because you’re making up facts. If you were there and heard him being abusive then fine I’d comment but you weren’t 

If you download the Thai constitution you will see that everyone should be treated equally. All this farang price/Thai price is illegal. But when has legality ever got in the way of racism?

Right. And gender equality is written there too, but a foreign wife doesn’t need any funds for an extension of stay and can apply for citizenship after 1 year. Is there a constitutional court in Thailand?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

If one has to go to so much trouble just to save 200 baht one shouldn't be living in Thailand.

It's too expensive for you .. ????

for me its the principal  .. fair to all .. no discrimination .. if i get discount i will donate or tip jar or ?   the principal ..it is not the 200 thb 

13 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I said it before and I'll say it again...."I blame the mobile phone for all this crankiness".

I have just met my future ex wife , on a mobile dating app.

Think i have found a good one , it,s all down to luck.

Isaan again...555

14 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Seriously....I always wondered why so many people in Thailand, male and female, Thai and Farang....were such bad walkers, so many people have limps...I think you've just "cracked it" for me.

Ya got it in one mate , now a shortage of wooden walking sticks in UK,

Plastic no good , conducts heat, friction in movement, loss of energy, etc.

Tory goverment , shut down the forestry industry , along with Coal, Steel , etc .

You will never walk alone ... 555

The contrasting comparison with experiences in France is quite telling. 

My Wife and I took my Parents to a ski resort... We would ski all over the mountain and arrange to meet up with my parents at one restaurant or cafe on the mountain, round the otherside of the mountain or over at a linked ski resort. 

Each and every time my parents got on the Bus to travel round the mountain they were asked their age and were met with the response... Oh its free for you (+60 I think), this was the same for taking the gondola up the mountain for non skiers over 60. 

The contrast here is the attempted scam at every single facet of day to day life, its inherent in society, it's expected, its become the norm.... It's a real shame that unfortunately honor, moral fibre and ethics are not words commonly associated with S.E. Asia. 

23 hours ago, MikeN said:

They are both private companies, so can do whatever they like (almost) unless the govt was to bring in an actual law governing this.

I was at the Khon Kaen zoo once, where they had a big sign in Thai and English for the admission prices. It clearly said, in perfect English, people over 60 half price .....but when I asked for that discount it’s “no, Thais only”  Then why the heck have a big sign in English ? I suspect it was the sales staff making up their own rules.

We had a handicapped Thai teenager with us who should have got a discount too according to the sign but they refused him too.

It is something you have to live with here in Thailand, many do not like to see the foreigner benefit and will say Thai only whether it is the case or not.

I was recently at the botanical garden in Guangzhou and the girl behind the desk without any prompting asked how old I was saying there was a 25% discount for over 65s, fortunately I had my passport and got the cheaper ticket. The zoo was different, that was quite cheap and the same price for everyone.

On saying that when I was at the airport and went to the escalator up to departures the girl looked at my passport and sent me and my wife to the fast track lane, first time that has ever happened. It was the same coming back, directed to the fast lane and no one in front. On the Thai passport side at immigration there is a fast lane for over 70s and disabled, and not just Thais. The airport seems to have become a bit more considerate to the elderly and infirm.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:22 PM, elliss said:

Play the part ,  watch you tube .

Adopt  a  limp ,  works wonders , for discount, flights/ wheelchair priority  etc .

I was on mobility in the UK , for all my non working life. No qualifications..

Thx UK taxpayers, where ever you are.. 555

And now on a pension doing the same thing on Thailand? 

The UK taxpayers must be so proud  of you. And the guys who have their pension frozen in Thailand salute you too. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:44 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Always interesting to see the Thai apologists come out and support ignorance and racism. Plenty of them on this post. Always interesting to read those who support double-pricing on the basis that we aliens are guests in Thailand, and blaming the OP for being offended. It's a very strange way to treat guests, and not the way I would treat my guests. Perhaps I should charge Thais for the wifi when they visit my home and make it free for only my alien friends.

I went to the water park at HuavHin today..... Just got back to the hotel.  Got the seniors rate.  Pissed me off no end but hey if you can save 300 baht why not. Only 2500 baht instead of 3000 baht In very loose numbers. 

I don't understand how mamy people complain about the prices in  Thailand.

Foreigners must pay more than Thai nationals, it's just right.
The government cannot/ must not take into account that there are more than Thai nationals living/visiting Thailand, when they plan the annual budget, unless foreigners are willing to pay.

This is complicated, not many people understand. Always complain about paying more than Thais.....I just don't get it

15 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

I don't understand how mamy people complain about the prices in  Thailand.

Foreigners must pay more than Thai nationals, it's just right.
The government cannot/ must not take into account that there are more than Thai nationals living/visiting Thailand, when they plan the annual budget, unless foreigners are willing to pay.

This is complicated, not many people understand. Always complain about paying more than Thais.....I just don't get it

Agree , after all we are just visitors to the Kingdom ,

and as such , we must pay for the privilege of being here ..

I understand the principle you are defending, at cost to your own well being.

Happiness is the important principal in my life at this point.

Banging my head against the 'system' and arguing with people in a foreign language for pitiful amounts of pocket change neither makes me happy nor accomplishes spit.

Rage on brother.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:31 PM, Fairynuff said:

Mine too. and I love to see the puzzled looks when I hand it over to someone who’s never seen one

I made up my own id.  It is bright yellow and has a picture of cookie monster on it.  Oh the puzzled looks ????

On 7/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The contrasting comparison with experiences in France is quite telling. 

My Wife and I took my Parents to a ski resort... We would ski all over the mountain and arrange to meet up with my parents at one restaurant or cafe on the mountain, round the otherside of the mountain or over at a linked ski resort. 

Each and every time my parents got on the Bus to travel round the mountain they were asked their age and were met with the response... Oh its free for you (+60 I think), this was the same for taking the gondola up the mountain for non skiers over 60. 

The contrast here is the attempted scam at every single facet of day to day life, its inherent in society, it's expected, its become the norm.... It's a real shame that unfortunately honor, moral fibre and ethics are not words commonly associated with S.E. Asia. 

Well if you are referring to Europe, then you have to consider the amount of citizens welfare offered there compared to over here.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:34 AM, kenk24 said:

Sounds like you made yourself very annoying to people who try and be pleasant and non-confrontational... not something to be proud of... 

I am sure your insisting was a very unpleasant experience for people who were just trying to do their job w/o problems, fights or arguments.. which is the Thai style and pleasant way of life... so, as a guest, tourist here, you can pride yourself in making people feel bad and unhappy. 

It seems to me it's the usual 'foreigner must pay more' argument.   I am still annoyed that a group of Indian ladies in saris and chatting in their own language, entered the Chiang Mai Botanic gardens at the Thai rate and I had to pay full rate.  Yes I'm a foreigner and over 80 and a pensioner.

In China, I was often asked for my passport at ticket booths, and always given the pensioner price or admitted free as a pensioner.

• 1 month later...
When we were traveling in Vietnam we were not aware of a senior discount for train tickets. We didn't ask they just gave it to the people who qualified when we presented our ID (as needed) when booking the fare. Very helpful, inexpensive, and a lovely trip from Saigon to Nha Trang in a sleeper car. Cheap as chips. I can see Vietnam eating Thailand's lunch on the tourism front once the word gets out, cheaper, cleaner, friendly. When Vietnam opens up it's visa exempt list and extends it to 30 days Thailand's tourist numbers will drop dramatically.
Totally agree. Vietnamese are surely people who are entitled to carry the odd chip on their shoulder when dealing with Caucasians, but they don't seem to. I found them to be down to earth, no <deleted> people who get about their business untrammelled by superiority complexes, and treat Caucasians very well in a matter-of-fact way.

Sent from my SM-T385 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived