I want to retire as a beach bum in southern thailand

ahddub

Background:  I'm 68, plan to retire at 70 and still quite fit (jogging, weights, basketball).  Thai wife of 30 years with 4 children (31, 28, 27 and 20).  Oldest born in Thungsong, Nakhonsrithammarat, next 2 born in Phuket, youngest born in New York.  All 4 children are fluent in Thai (speaking, reading, writing) but live now in New York - "no way" they want to move back to Thailand, but are happy to visit.  We (entire family) moved to NYC in 1994 (work for me) then moved back to Thungsong in 2002 (wife could no longer put up with the cold weather) then I and the 4 children moved back to NYC in 2011 (I needed to work and the kids needed a better education), wife stayed in Thungsong but visits NYC every other Summer.

So, when I retire I would like to move closer to my wife but not in Thungsong - I'd like to be by a beach, take a morning swim, spend late afternoons in a beach bar having a cocktail or a beer or a glass of wine watching the Sun set.  I'm trying to get a feel for beach-living (retirement) opportunities within a 2-hour drive from Thungsong.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.  BTW, I don't speak Thai (the family was always a crutch for communicating).

1 hour ago, ahddub said:

So, when I retire I would like to move closer to my wife but not in Thungsong - I'd like to be by a beach, take a morning swim, spend late afternoons in a beach bar having a cocktail or a beer or a glass of wine watching the Sun set.  I'm trying to get a feel for beach-living (retirement) opportunities within a 2-hour drive from Thungsong.

Watching sunsets at a beach bar indicates you're talking about the west coast of the peninsular.

Krabi or Koh Lanta seem to fit your requirements.

I might as well do it now since it is coming:

So, you want to spend your time at some overcrowded, smelly, filthy, dirty polluted beach and swim in the bacteria feces contaminated water.

Then, have a drink in the evening at an over priced bar with rude staff who will cheat you on the bill.  All the while, a bunch of drunk Falangs and obnoxious Thais around you making noise and spitting in your face!

And do not forget the Chinese.

Is that what you want?....

Sorry, could not resist. ????

I would check out Krabi area.

Good luck

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I might as well do it now since it is coming:

So, you want to spend your time at some overcrowded, smelly, filthy, dirty polluted beach and swim in the bacteria feces contaminated water.

Then, have a drink in the evening at an over priced bar with rude staff who will cheat you on the bill.  All the while, a bunch of drunk Falangs and obnoxious Thais around you making noise and spitting in your face!

And do not forget the Chinese.

Is that what you want?....

Sorry, could not resist. ????

I would check out Krabi area.

Good luck

Wow.  This seems way off base, especially from a "Titanium Member".

@Old Croc:  Krabi and Koh Lanta sound interesting.  I'll pay them an exploratory visit.  Mind you, I'm not a tourist, but will be buying a home and living there.

@Andy:  I'll do some Googling on Koh Lak.  Thanks for the suggestion.

You sound like you might have means to take the time to look around, and make some expat contacts before deciding. Do that if possible. 

No disrespect, but it's wise to plan that you'll need easy/fast access to at least one good hospital, just to be safe than sorry, age is a beach, I know.

Also, be aware things are not getting any rosier here of late, some guys seem to roll with whatever nonsensical barriers Immigration dream up, but either way, get across exactly what you'll be dealing with, every year, for the rest of your life here.

Plenty of that discussion on these forums!

Won't your lady be joining you once you arrive? She'll go a long way to help get yourself settled in with utilities, internet etc.

Also her negotiating for home services like garden work etc. May help keep your costs at 'Thai' levels.

Enjoy it whatever you decide!

Hi, m surprised no one has mentioned Khanom . Never been there, but might go having heard nice things about it. Looks like the beach is clean and inviting. I’m sure there’s a small expat corner with a decent bar or two for sundowners. Also, if you are thinking of building a home there, maybe the prices could be reasonable. Or is it  too close to Thungsong. ? Further afield I could only say Koh Chang, but that’s not a 2 hr drive. Enjoy !!!

On 7/9/2019 at 12:01 AM, ahddub said:

I'd like to be by a beach, take a morning swim, spend late afternoons in a beach bar having a cocktail or a beer or a glass of wine watching the Sun set. 

god that sounds great. i wish i lived in Thailand.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:59 PM, geisha said:

Hi, m surprised no one has mentioned Khanom . Never been there, but might go having heard nice things about it. Looks like the beach is clean and inviting. I’m sure there’s a small expat corner with a decent bar or two for sundowners. Also, if you are thinking of building a home there, maybe the prices could be reasonable. Or is it  too close to Thungsong. ? Further afield I could only say Koh Chang, but that’s not a 2 hr drive. Enjoy !!!

Thanks, Geisha.  My wife tells me that Tungsong has improved (modernization) a lot since I left 10 years ago, and that it's quite a livable place now although quite a bit more expensive as well.  A single order of Kow Man Gai has gone from 25 baht to 60 baht!

And she says that Khanom is a great beach for any weekend getaway - places to stay and places to eat, drink.

So it looks like I'll refresh our house in Tungsong and get ready for all of the visiting relatives (a HUGE family).

On 7/9/2019 at 12:01 AM, ahddub said:

I'm trying to get a feel for beach-living (retirement) opportunities within a 2-hour drive from Thungsong.

You've a range of possibilities within a 2-3hr radius of Thung Song.

On the Andaman Coast, areas around Trang are within the 2hr range, Krabi and Ko Lanta are nearer to 3hrs away. But Phuket is over 4hrs drive. On the Gulf of Thailand the beaches south of Surat Thani, like Khanom, are 2hrs away, further north the beaches south of Chumphon are 2-3hrs and going south then Songkhla is about 3hrs away.

As suggested it would be wise to spend a little time in each, it depends on how much you want home comforts and the company of fellow expats as to whether you opt for Krabi/Ko Lanta on the one hand or Khanom, Trang or Songkhla on the other.

As for Thung Song, it has a horrible record for flooding, just about every wet season the town floods, too much development and not enough planning of infrastructure. I hope the house is on higher ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid Phuket at all costs without doing serious reseach of descent beaches away from the tourist areas. The muslim south and scuba islands are worth researching,  koh Lippi etc. But you can NOT retire here as a beach bum. You will need to show proof of income to retire here.  If you cant speak Thai, and your Thai kids show no enthusiasm for Thailand....I would be concerned.  Make sure you control all your money alive or dead and the kids get nothing....make it clear to them. I dont think Thailand is for you.....but give it a try. You will last about a month before your dream evaporates...but travel should also be a learning situation...I am 65 and do NOT  aspire to be a 'bum'   or tramp or hobo. I might aspire to run a beach bar...but YOU cant in Thailand.  Just come here for a holiday. Cut off all financial Ties to your kids and withdraw all support. INVEST in yourself and your happiness.  If you cant speak Thai...be a beach bum in South America,  Africa,  Mexico,  USA or Europe....not Thailand....bums and poor tourists are not welcome here. Good luck.

When I read your headline...I said to myself...."I have the very solution for this person". ...I am selling my beachside condo at a good price so...he could buy my condo and sleep on the beach. Just use the condo for nipping up to whenever he wants to make a cuppa or when nature calls. Alas...my condo is in Rayong Province.

I'm 65 with a Thai wife and no children.  I've been working in Europe for close to the past 2 decades and retired in far south of Phuket in May of this year.   My wife is also an engineer, and she has retired with me.

I previous (in 1997 to 1999) time frame lived in a small 'bachelor' type apartment on the Beach in Chalong Phuket, so I knew in advance what I was 'getting into' although its fair to say Phuket has changed a LOT in past 2 decades.  As it turns out, that beach apartment was destroyed in the Tsunami of 2004 so I am fortunate I was not living in it then.  

Today Phuket is very much an Urban Island, as opposed to a couple of decades ago when it was still commercialized, but not commercialized as much then as it is today.

As two retired engineers with no children, we are 'far' from being beach bums wrt finances - but I do like living by the sea as decades ago I was in the Navy for 14-years.  The sea is now in my blood.   So we purchased an upmarket condo in the far south of Phuket, right on the beach (7.81949   98.38491).  We get a great sea view and direct beach access.  Every morning before it gets too hot (from 6:30am to 8:00am) we go for a 6km walk, most of which is along the beach.   Our specific condominium unit is far enough elevated above the sea level that I do not worry about a Tsunami hitting the coast while I am asleep.

Being in the far south means a vehicle is very very useful to get around, so we purchased a couple of automobiles (one for each of us).  For myself, within 2 months of arriving I obtained a Thai driver's license.

Phuket has lots of hospitals, with a number of them within 30-minutes car drive of where we live.  We are also about 1-hour car drive from the Phuket International Airport (more or less dependent on traffic) which is very nice. There are a few restaurants within walking distance (more during high season) which is nice.  Also there is a 7/11 / mini-Mart within walking distance .... where these are all considerations.

Of course such a condo as we purchased is not cheap so its clearly not the life for anyone.   Phuket itself IMHO is more expensive than most other areas of Thailand.   Further to retire in Thailand one also must meet the necessary finances for immigration and for health insurance, in addition to costs for living.

I believe that there is a lot to be said for renting initially when one comes to Thailand, to help one confirm they like the idea of long term stays in Thailand, and that they like the area that they have selected.  Clearly Thailand is not for everyone.

I also note far south in Phuket is about 4 hours or more by car from ThungSong so likely its more the concept of my retirement, than specifics that you would find of interest.

I am doing what you are dreaming of difference is both myself and wife are English and yes we have a beautiful villa on the beach with swimming pool and beautiful sunsets. I don’t sit at a bar prefer my own terrace with the beer fridge close to hand. If the tide is good I go on my kayak or paddle board for a little exercise. Do I get bored never my only gripe is that as each year goes by immigration seems to make living the dream that little bit harder by constantly changing the rules Having been to New York what a wonderful city but it’s not living the dream.

45EA8DF7-B671-419B-AB83-0ED58961840E.jpeg

I live in Krabi and have farms in Thung Song / Thung Yai - it is 2 hours by car from Thung Song to Krabi.

I moved from Phuket which is crowded with awful traffic and too many tourists, plus is one of the most expensive places in Thailand.

Ao Nang is becoming very touristy but Klong Muang - the next village North has excellent clean beaches with quiet little bars.

PM me when you are coming this way as I am familiar with this whole region (I tour on my bike over the whole of the South- see avatar, and also own a resort in Ao Nam Mao)

What are you going to do for insurance at age 70?

Krabi is totally overpriced. Islands are a death warrant when you are truly ill.

West Coast Gulf of Thailand and SE Thailand are where you should look.

Your wife comes every other summer . . . Does not sound good mate. I hope it works out.

It is very interesting indeed.. I am quite the opposite.. I dont like the beach and the sun.. , but I love it when it rains in Thailand.. Enjoying some good food and watch the world go by.. Thailand is what it is.. , but I would never come here to live on a beach.. But we are all different luckily....

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I am doing what you are dreaming of difference is both myself and wife are English and yes we have a beautiful villa on the beach with swimming pool and beautiful sunsets. I don’t sit at a bar prefer my own terrace with the beer fridge close to hand. If the tide is good I go on my kayak or paddle board for a little exercise. Do I get bored never my only gripe is that as each year goes by immigration seems to make living the dream that little bit harder by constantly changing the rules Having been to New York what a wonderful city but it’s not living the dream.

45EA8DF7-B671-419B-AB83-0ED58961840E.jpeg

It looks beautiful. Where do you stay?

On 7/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, ahddub said:

'm trying to get a feel for beach-living (retirement) opportunities within a 2-hour drive from Thungsong.

Sounds like Krabi-area – including Koh Lanta – that's 75 km to 100 km from Thung Song District, if it's the one by Nakhon Si Thammarat you refer to. There are also said to be some nice beaches at the Golf-side, but mostly visited by Thais.

Alternatively Phuket, if you want to get a bit further away, and look for areas with a number expats to mingle with; or Koh Samui, if you can accept af ferry-ride from Don Sak that might just be within the two hour drive limit (some of the roads over to there are good). There are beautiful sunsets from the western coast of Samui, however from your life-style description the northern cost might be more attractive...????

Archived