Unnecessary Difficulties for the Disabled

Gonzo the Face

As a person who is disabled and having been living here for approx 30 years, I accept that there is a less than ideal consideration for the disabled in this country.  But when a large corporate institution does something so evident as to not consider the disabled, and yet desire to have those disabled patronize their establishment, I think , in the interest of attempting to educate the public, that it should be brought public. 
I am wheelchair bound and have been for many years.  I accept attitudes in this country towards the disabled and I still choose to live here.  But there is a line.  I have been a well satisfied customer of Bangkok Bank for many, many years.  
Since my wheelchair days, I had specifically opened two of my accounts at the Meechok Plaza branch.  Their staff is pleasant, competent and very capable.  For me most important is that they have an access from inside the mall that is wheelchair accessible and one does not have to use the front entrance which has a larger step.  Fine until very recently.  Some inconsiderate individual has decided to close and lock the inside, wheelchair accessible entrance door so as to be able to place a desk at that point .   Yes but they still want your patronage.  I do think that this should be brought to the attention of the bank higher ups in Bangkok.  I hope to do just that, but before that, I would like to hear from some of you able bodied people so as I am not just too personally involved and  reporting such would be inappropriate. I would appreciate hearing from you.  

Thank You 

You are quite right to be indignant. But I wonder if you are the only user and whoever decided a desk there was a great idea maybe be unaware that any one relies on that door? I would have thought you would have more chance of success complaining at that branch than catching someone's attention in Bangkok, but maybe you tried the branch unsuccessfully already.

Best of luck. I have a 20 year old thai male relative who has very recently lost a leg from above the knee and it seemed to us that Chiang Mai is pretty wheelchair unfriendly...actualy quite unfriendly for fully able walkers, with many obstacles to navigate on sidewalks, including motorbikes, both parked and ridden!

Best of luck Gonzo

1 hour ago, Gonzo the Face said:

I would like to hear from some of you able bodied people so as I am not just too personally involved and  reporting such would be inappropriate. I would appreciate hearing from you.  

Thank You 

I do not think it inappropriate to report and condemn their narrow minded unthinking actions. I think you must take action.
If you have not already done so I would speak to the Branch Manager and if not given a satisfactory answer then inform them of your intentions to go to their head office.  I also wonder if anything can be done at local government level.  Maybe NancyL will advise.

I use the same BKK bank as you do and although I'm not in a wheel chair yet, I just use a cane for now.  I noticed that the mall side door was locked and things in front of it. 

I hope you were able to find someone to help you to get in, there is a policeman there most of the time. 

It might be time to find others who are wheelchair bound and use BKK Bank to all meet there at once for a protest.  I hope the bank comes to their senses and open the door up again. 

4 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

It might be time to find others who are wheelchair bound and use BKK Bank to all meet there at once for a protest. 

Why just those who are disabled now?  We are all getting older and may find ourselves in similar situations.  Lets get everyone who is willing to get involved activated and see what can be done.

PS; Maybe worthwhile trying to get Citylife involved!

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why just those who are disabled now?  We are all getting older and may find ourselves in similar situations.  Lets get everyone who is willing to get involved activated and see what can be done.

PS; Maybe worthwhile trying to get Citylife involved!

Count me in for a protest if one should come about.  Anyone else?

Everytime i have been in there since they closed off the side door,

i have never seen any staff sitting at them,in fact the other day,

when i was in there they were very short of staff,with only 2

on the counters,and a couple on Exchange/opening new accounts,

with approx 25 people waiting for service.

Also the parking spaces near the bank and the other at the rear,

for disabled parking,are often used by healthy people in expensive

vehicles....inconsiderate bastards. 

regards worgeordie

What happens if you show up at the front door with the step? (I had a look on Google streeview, seems to be only a single step)

If the security comes and lifts your wheelchair over the step then this might be not be as convenient for you as before, but not really a reason to make a lot of trouble.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

What happens if you show up at the front door with the step? (I had a look on Google streeview, seems to be only a single step)

If the security comes and lifts your wheelchair over the step then this might be not be as convenient for you as before, but not really a reason to make a lot of trouble.

Clearly you are not disabled, why should he have to be lifted over a step?

No thought about customers, just a jumped up bank official doing something without any thought for customers.

Many places here have crazy steep ramps which are totally unusable, again no thought about disabled people.

17 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you are not disabled, why should he have to be lifted over a step?

No thought about customers, just a jumped up bank official doing something without any thought for customers.

Many places here have crazy steep ramps which are totally unusable, again no thought about disabled people.

he's not disabled, but is he handicapable?

that's true, but the reality is your going to be waiting a long time in line in asia waiting for an accessible ramp to be built. he may need to use the bank like everyone else before then.

11 minutes ago, fhickson said:

he's not disabled, but is he handicapable?

that's true, but the reality is your going to be waiting a long time in line in asia waiting for an accessible ramp to be built. he may need to use the bank like everyone else before then.

Then he should do what i do, get the bank staff to come to him.

19 minutes ago, fhickson said:

that's true, but the reality is your going to be waiting a long time in line in asia waiting for an accessible ramp to be built.

Not sure if that applies in all of Asia as video I have seen from Philippines seems to indicate most places do have access ramps although am sure some are impossible to navigate.

Good point Scottie John. Even those who have not reached their twilight years as some of us have, may still have non-visible physical issues such as back or feet disorders, that require use of wheelchair ramps for walking or holding bars in the restrooms marked disabled. Now in my 70's I have a gimp knee that causes me not only pain but danger as I hobble along our Thai roads and streets. It should be beyond basic customer service to provide those architectural designs to the benefits of ALL people. Our various disabilities may not be visible but we still need to go to the bank!

If the bank management wants the new desk out in the customer area, how about putting it in front of the door that is currently being used as a door, and re-open the door that is wheelchair accessible!

Maybe we could assist you in finding a BBL branch that is accessible.  Of the big branches, Thapae Rd branch, seems to be pretty close to ground level, also the basement of Airport Plaza.  How frequently do you need to go inside?  Would an ATM/CDM work for you?  Agreed, terrible place to have any kind of walking issues, let alone being in a chair.  Even using luggage with wheels looks way out of the ordinary.. and a terrible place for baby strollers. They shouldn't have done that, but you see stuff like that every single day.  1.8 meters isn't really a good height for electrical cords.. but they do it all the time.  Double parked cars blocking everything... I live in a 570 unit condo building, and we need two security guards 24/7 or you wouldn't be able to get in the building. 

1 hour ago, MrBrad said:

If the bank management wants the new desk out in the customer area, how about putting it in front of the door that is currently being used as a door, and re-open the door that is wheelchair accessible!

That is a very good suggestion Mr. Brad. The side door which is wheel accessible is surely available and usable by the non handicapped as well.  Relocating the desk by the other door would be able to solve the problem.  One problem,  and that is a very  simple solution that would take very little forethought.  Only thing is that the person who didn't think of it before closing the other door would loose face by not having thought of it.  Now to have it done will take some time to come up with a realistic answer as to why they didn't think of it in the first place.  

My point is why do they need that desk out there anyway.  In the times I have struggled in, there has never been anyone using it.

Gonzo, is there a possibility it was identified as a security risk?  Lots of old folk need special access and also have lots of money, even here, and they tend to respect older folks here by age, but that doesn't mean they will ever use common sense.  

8 hours ago, moontang said:

is there a possibility it was identified as a security risk? 

Very possible.  One of my Bangkok Banks has locked rear door access to parking area and expect that is the reason - PIA as long walk to front of building and many extra steps to climb.  

12 hours ago, moontang said:

Gonzo, is there a possibility it was identified as a security risk?  Lots of old folk need special access and also have lots of money, even here, and they tend to respect older folks here by age, but that doesn't mean they will ever use common sense.  

hate to say it but if the door was previously used by the disabled, everyone there knew it would be blocked by the desk.

is the bank thinking the disabled are more trouble then they are worth? sure if your rich people go out of their way, but as is often the case...

hope thats not the case here. everyone deserves equal access.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:28 PM, scottiejohn said:

I do not think it inappropriate to report and condemn their narrow minded unthinking actions. I think you must take action.
If you have not already done so I would speak to the Branch Manager and if not given a satisfactory answer then inform them of your intentions to go to their head office.  I also wonder if anything can be done at local government level.  Maybe NancyL will advise.

wil all fall on deaf ears....

Bangkok Bank in Mae Jo is impossible for me as there no lifts from the car park and there are numerous steps to climb to get access. If I require any letters or change of passbook I have to get my wife to do it for me

Archived