Is this snake a Malayan Pit Viper?

finewine

Thanks for the replies that were constructive.

Vern also thinks python. Sorry the photo was a bit blurred, but taken quickly as I don't like to get too close. Usually only golden tree snakes around here.

That is my first python, and the markings were impressive.

Yes its a python, not really dangerous. The bite is painful, but its not poisonous and generally the are not aggressive.

There are groups on facebooks that are for identifying snakes and educating people about Thai snakes. This one is Bangkok but they have them for other regions too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2004459626509147/

Edited by Jimbo1964
  • Like 1

I just asked the Mrs. if it's a pit viper and she said definitely no as well.

Her expertise comes from our visit to a snake temple in Penang where for a small fee our photo was taken with a large boa placed  around our shoulders  and a  small  Malaysian Pit Viper placed on her head like a tiara.   ????

https://www.malaysia-traveller.com/penang-snake-temple.html       Well worth a visit if you like snakes.

We had a huge python on our street one night and I got close to it’s face and started talking trash to it just to scare everyone watching. It just kept making a hissing sound at me when I was really close to it.

• Haha 1

Here’s my picture of the python on our street. I found it on my Facebook this was like 4 years ago. I remember I was scaring the crap out of everyone because I got up in it’s face and I was pissing it off:

It's a snake, don't worry about what kind it is, hit it over the head with a long stick and then photograph it.

This one, 2 meters long, came into our garage a couple of days ago and my snake warning systems were activated ie our three dogs barking like mad !!! 

as1.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

It's a snake, don't worry about what kind it is, hit it over the head with a long stick and then photograph it.
This one, 2 meters long, came into our garage a couple of days ago and my snake warning systems were activated ie our three dogs barking like mad !!! 
as1.thumb.jpg.dd13928c061252b1737e744d35008881.jpg

Mine is still bigger. The snake I mean.

5 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Incredible photo. What did you take it with?

Canon camera, from about 3m distance. Lighting is wrong, but I wasn't staying there too long ...

It was in the shade of trees at Ao Krathing beach, Chanthaburi, I'd never considered snakes at the beach before and was more focused on looking ahead at the view of the sea through the trees rather than what may be underfoot. Daughter knows better ... 

tumblr_pq96x30Fua1r4rbn5_1280.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen

Canon camera, from about 3m distance. Lighting is wrong, but I wasn't staying there too long ...

It was in the shade of trees at Ao Krathing beach, Chanthaburi, I'd never considered snakes at the beach before and was more focused on looking ahead at the view of the sea through the trees rather than what may be underfoot. Daughter knows better ... 

tumblr_pq96x30Fua1r4rbn5_1280.jpg&key=9c86d44deab5e2cf77e740a652efba494e5aee60c83933f0e8ad6365e924d385

I don’t know I still think mine is bigger. Just messing with you but I actually did take these pictures on my street outside the front gate of my house. Image1562747660.476454.jpgImage1562747675.497269.jpg