Is this snake a Malayan Pit Viper?

finewine

Yours is definetly bigger, but mine is badder, Russells Pit Viper, almost landed on my wifes head, very dangerous

I’ve seen those before pit vipers are common around here. We’ve had a few cobras a few years ago. My python picture was from 4 years ago.

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I just asked the Mrs. if it's a pit viper and she said definitely no as well.

Her expertise comes from our visit to a snake temple in Penang where for a small fee our photo was taken with a large boa placed  around our shoulders  and a  small  Malaysian Pit Viper placed on her head like a tiara.   ????

https://www.malaysia-traveller.com/penang-snake-temple.html       Well worth a visit if you like snakes.

No thanks. One question - am I correct in assuming the pit viper was either defanged, or had its poison sacs removed?

Be very careful of the advise given here by armchair experts your life could be at risk.

His picture is pretty clearly a decent sized python, I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure I know my snakes somewhat well but I’m not a snake expert either. I don’t think he’s dumb enough to go trying to pick it up or something based on what people online say at least I’d hope he’s not. I’m not afraid of snakes I don’t know if you saw the picture of the huge python I saw here 4 years ago but I knew it was a python it was just obvious and I got what some people would consider uncomfortably close to it. I got face to face with it up close and personal but I admit that I was showing off for everyone watching it was kind of funny. It kept making a hissing sound at me and it lifted it’s head up and got right back in my face as well. I didn’t do it for very long because I was clearly pissing it off and I do respect snakes even though they don’t scare me because I know they can be extremely dangerous. The Geckos don’t bother me at all either even when they get in my house.

Honestly I’m more nervous around spiders and roaches than snakes probably because I had bad experiences with them when I was a kid. I hate roaches so much that I hate even getting close enough to them to kill them but I do it anyway if I see one around the house. Maybe it’s arachnophobia or something. When I was in the military I had a Team Sergeant once who was trying to get me over that fear by putting spiders and roaches in my work area on purpose in Garrison. I just wanted to joke him even though we were friends it was also kind of a prank to get me to jump up because I made the mistake of telling him that I didn’t like them one day. Never tell anyone what bothers you in the military when it comes to stuff like that. I told him if I see spiders or roaches outside they don’t bother me unless I see them in my house or in my personal space. His rationale was “what if you’re in combat hiding from the enemy and find yourself covered in bugs are you gonna freak out in that situation?” I just replied “I probably would not be very happy about it but I’d do what I’d have to do to survive” and I have been covered in leaches before after crossing a swamp once in training and I didn’t like it but I dealt with it just fine. But for some reason snakes don’t scare me, but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna go pick up a cobra or something lol.

Although I was on land navigation training once in the North Carolina woods at night and I was crossing a swamp at night and I came really close to stepping on a water moccasin as I was walking back up out of the waist high water and that’s one of the most poisonous snakes in the United States. I remember it was starring up at me as if it was daring me to do something and that incident scared the hell out of me. I also came pretty close to two Eastern Diamond Back snakes on land navigation training during the day as well once but that didn’t bother me because I didn’t get to close to them. The most common snakes in North Carolina are the Copper Heads which are also poisonous but just a hematoxylin if I’m spelling that right.

Actually if you didn’t see it this is the picture of the python I saw here in Thailand 4 years ago it was approximately 6 to 8 feet long pretty damn big. This one didn’t scare me at all because I knew exactly what it was. You can see in the picture how it’s lifting up it’s head because I was getting really close to it and making it really mad. I wouldn’t recommend doing what I did that night I could have been attacked. Image1562768690.320142.thumb.jpg.fd4a168fd1a074f4bdcd4ee25949ff60.jpgImage1562768705.355056.thumb.jpg.6b808767796a3e43878500a0eb6cb17c.jpg

Also in the states if it’s a black snake they’re harmless and I actually have picked up black snakes before because everyone knows they’re harmless IN THE STATES. In this part of the world I would not touch any snakes.

I remember in training once in North Carolina I saw a guy pick up a harmless Black snake and he threw it at a guy laying in the prone position and that dude jumped up like 5 feet in the air and screamed but as soon as he saw it was just a harmless black snake he started laughing with the rest of us.

The picture in Mel52 ,Its a python I am that Certain i would pick it up. 

The first picture   i would put money on it a viper, its head is the shape of ace of clubs,

Edited by Thongkorn

The picture in Mel52 ,Its a python I am that Certain i would pick it up. 
The first picture   i would put money on it a viper, its head is the shape of ace of clubs,

You know I was thinking the same thing the snake in my picture is clearly a python but his picture does also kind of look like a python but it’s hard to say it could be viper the head is shaped slightly differently and it’s color might be deceiving.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, Humpy said:

It's a snake, don't worry about what kind it is, hit it over the head with a long stick and then photograph it.

This one, 2 meters long, came into our garage a couple of days ago and my snake warning systems were activated ie our three dogs barking like mad !!! 

as1.jpg

poor rat snake, looks like an oriental rat snake.

It's a snake, don't worry about what kind it is, hit it over the head with a long stick and then photograph it.

This one, 2 meters long, came into our garage a couple of days ago and my snake warning systems were activated ie our three dogs barking like mad !!! 

I understand a persons "fear of snakes" Ophidiophobia , but please realise that they are more afraid of you, and do not want to waste their venom, which they use to kill things they want to eat.

Could I suggest that you get to know the local snake catcher, keep an eye on where the reptile may take refuge, and relocate it away from your environment.

Pythons are somewhat territorial, and should be relocated about 5klm from where they are caught.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:06 AM, Humpy said:

as1.jpg

Brilliant.

Are you going to use the same "long stick" to kill all the rats and pests this beautiful animal would have rid your property of?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Brilliant.

Are you going to use the same "long stick" to kill all the rats and pests this beautiful animal would have rid your property of?

Interesting that often people who are bitten by snakes , happens when they are attempting to kill them

• Like 1

Interesting that often people who are bitten by snakes , happens when they are attempting to kill them

That’s very true. Or if you accidentally step on or near one in the dark. It can happen by accident but usually it’s because the person was bothering the snake or trying to kill it.

When I was in SFAS the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course also known as Selection one of my fellow SF candidates (students) stepped on a snake out in the middle of the North Carolina woods in the middle of the night during night land navigation training and he got pit really bad by a snake. I don’t know what kind of snake and I never really asked him probably a typical North Carolina copper head snake more than likely because it was poisonous and he did get a good dose of venom. Although he was lucky the doctor spent a little time with him and he still managed to finish Selection and he actually got Selected to he actually made it. Usually less than one quarter of the class actually makes it sometimes less but this made it with a bad snake bite. I’ve seen people make it with some pretty bad injuries before including myself my feet were in terrible shape at the end of the course but by the time the Selection course is over pretty much everyone is pretty banged up or injured because it’s EXTREMELY DIFFICULT AND ROUGH ON YOUR BODY! Normally in SF Selection if you have to see the doctor for anything to serious you automatically get dropped from the course and they tell you that you can try again in a year. But that guy somehow made it through Selection with a snake bite.

I actually went through Selection twice because I got seriously injured the first time with ONLY 2 MORE DAYS TO GO. But I got selected and I graduated from the whole course after I went back a year later in 1997. A lot of the other guys respected me for that and told me that they would have never went back again if they would not have made it the first time because they said they would have NEVER put their bodies through that hell ever again a second time! But I really wanted it really bad so I kept training myself physically and mentally and I tried again and I made it. But I didn’t get snake bit like my friend did.

poor rat snake, looks like an oriental rat snake.

You know what we could be wrong but I don’t think it’s poisonous either I have no idea what kind of snake it is but it’s head appears to be pretty round so it might be harmless. But I would not take the chance because I have no idea what kind of snake it is. In this part of the world unless you’re a snake expert it could be anything and I don’t know very much about Asian snakes just a little bit.