BANGKOK 23 July 2019 22:45
fhickson

Returning to CM - How has it changed?

massive massive change in thai people's attitudes compared to five years ago. oh and at certain points in time the pollution is the worst in the world. i am of firm belief the pollution has contributed to this mental state of the citizens here, high doses of pollution can reduce empathy and promote psychopathic behavior. 

Massive massive influx of condos / people & their impact upon traffic & pollution in the past 10 years has probably had a negative impact upon Thai CM natives attitudes.  Then also with respect to the farang, if a fair percentage may be more interested in sex than marriage with their daughters, that may also have a somewhat more negative impact toward the farang contingent.

After living a number of years in CM, I can say the best part was leaving it.  The ones telling you how bad it has gotten are being honest.  The ones giving positive reviews are not - probably because of a loss of brain cells from the horrendous air pollution.  Might be okay for a visit but definitely not somewhere anyone should consider on a permanent basis.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Massive massive influx of condos / people & their impact upon traffic & pollution in the past 10 years has probably had a negative impact upon Thai CM natives attitudes.  Then also with respect to the farang, if a fair percentage may be more interested in sex than marriage with their daughters, that may also have a somewhat more negative impact toward the farang contingent.

Don't care what the locals think of me.

Do care about the four months of unbreathable air this year the natives caused by burning the fields and jungle.

4 hours ago, jimgilly said:

he ones giving positive reviews are not - probably because of a loss of brain cells from the horrendous air pollution.

No honestly they most likely have skin in the game and too much to lose. If it was not for my wife's house and rice fields, I would be long gone to another province or preferably back home to Australia. The locals did smoke me out of Chiang Mai this year and I took my wife home to Australia to get away from the smoke and I most likely will have to do it next year as well because nothing will change.

Edited by totally thaied up

Heard something about bad air, but it might be hear say. Just go there and find out, and please report back in 5 years.

you've to specify your question about what exactly you're interested to know about.. 

personally i didn't find it polluted any more than any other small-mid size city...

the night life was pretty boring for me as there were only handful of bars and parties (in few locations) and although they were quite full the people were always the same (except for the tourists which were also the same after you get used to them xd)

tons of tourists in the old town and the area

p.s. policemen fine foreigners for riding bikes on daily basis on the main roads (not sure if it was 5years, probably ya 😛 )