Driving Licence renewal 5 year.

ozzmanrocks

Hello I will be doing my 5 year driving licence renewal next month. Just want to check I have the correct documents prepared. I know I could just walk in there and ask them, but I'm a bit of a lazy ass ????.

I will be renewing 2 licences, motorbike and car. This is what I presume will be needed:

- Application (can be filled out at the Transport Department)

- Passport Copies: Main page / Visa - Extension / Departure Card / 

- Residency Certificate - Tabien Baan (Yellow book) 

- Medical Certificate (I think can be obtained at most hospitals for 300 or 400 Baht)

Anything else? Or is this what is required?

Also do I have to sit through a video? When I first got my licence this wasn't necessary. 

If anyone has recent experience of this matter and could inform me, it would be greatly appreciated. If not i'll just have to get off my lazy ass and go to ask them ????

Thanks so much!   

I assume you are going to renew your licenses from 2 year to 5 year .Please make 2 copies for all documents , because you have 2 licenses. Medical certificate is no more than 1 month , and you have to sit and get a course  1 hour.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:40 PM, ozzmanrocks said:

- Medical Certificate (I think can be obtained at most hospitals for 300 or 400 Baht)

One or the other of Residency Certificate or yellow book. I used the yellow book only when I renewed earlier this year, and a friend has done the same since.

I got a medical certificate from McCormick Hospital for 90 baht.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:39 AM, Gentlemc said:

I assume you are going to renew your licenses from 2 year to 5 year .Please make 2 copies for all documents , because you have 2 licenses. Medical certificate is no more than 1 month , and you have to sit and get a course  1 hour.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I had a 1 year, then a 5 year. So now this will be my third time to renew my licence. I presume it will be another 5 year licence. Yes, I should prepare 2 copies of everything. Hoping I wouldn't have to sit through the video, but sure i will survive! Thanks again!

19 hours ago, CMoldie said:

One or the other of Residency Certificate or yellow book. I used the yellow book only when I renewed earlier this year, and a friend has done the same since.

I got a medical certificate from McCormick Hospital for 90 baht.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will also use my yellow book for the renewal. 90 Baht not a bad price thought it would be more than. Thanks very much.

4 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Unless it has changed recently, I did - February last year. 

Thanks very much for the reply. Think I will just go there without the medical certificate first and see what they say, if it's needed I will nip up the road and get one. Thanks for the heads up!

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A medical certificate is required to renew a 1 year licence (to 5 years) but it's not required to renew a 5 year licence.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, cheers! No need for medical certificate for me then ????

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A medical certificate is required to renew a 1 year licence (to 5 years) but it's not required to renew a 5 year licence.

Correct (from experience and by the rules).

(just note: 1 year temporary is 2 year since 2017)

17 hours ago, Democracy74 said:

Wear trousers, I was turned away from my 5 year renewal for wearing shorts (smart shorts), apparently you cannot take your eye test or reaction test if you are not wearing trousers!!!

When was this that you were turned away?

Not sure this is still true, but it was 3 years ago.

From another thread...

"One tip:  Your existing license expires on your birthday.  Make sure that you go to renew your license a few days AFTER it expires.  You can still renew for several weeks after the license expires. If you do it this way, your license will expire on your birthday just short of SIX years in the future.  For some reason, their system  counts forward-only, to your fifth future birthday."

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, Democracy74 said:

Wear trousers, I was turned away from my 5 year renewal for wearing shorts (smart shorts), apparently you cannot take your eye test or reaction test if you are not wearing trousers!!!

I suppose shorts it could have a detrimental effect on your eye sight and reaction speed! Thanks for the heads up, trousers it is.  

On 7/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, luther said:

Not sure this is still true, but it was 3 years ago.

From another thread...

"One tip:  Your existing license expires on your birthday.  Make sure that you go to renew your license a few days AFTER it expires.  You can still renew for several weeks after the license expires. If you do it this way, your license will expire on your birthday just short of SIX years in the future.  For some reason, their system  counts forward-only, to your fifth future birthday."

Interesting. I presumed that it would be a wise idea to renew the licence before the expiry date, to save myself from any problems that may occur. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, ozzmanrocks said:

I suppose shorts it could have a detrimental effect on your eye sight and reaction speed! Thanks for the heads up, trousers it is.  

Was barked at and given a hard time on Phuket for the same, long over the knee shorts with closed toe shoes, and a polo shirt.. Told never to go to a government office asking for anything in shorts again. 

Must admit thought he was just a power tripping prick, but I do remember that for immigration, and even banking issues. 

Application (can be filled out at the Transport Department)

- Passport Copies: Main page / Visa - Extension / Departure Card / 

If you have a pink (non Thai) "ID" card, would that, plus the application, plus your expiring DL, not be sufficient?

My understanding is that renewal at Chiang Mai did not requite the depth perception test for renewal (it is the test with two sticks that you are supposed to align) - is this still the case or any other region where this is not required? I have limited 3D vision and this test is a nightmare. I have no difficulty in judging distances in a car as many ways for evaluating distances but this depth perception test I find impossible.

19 hours ago, samtam said:

If you have a pink (non Thai) "ID" card, would that, plus the application, plus your expiring DL, not be sufficient?

To get the pink ID card you should have the yellow book ?? So use that.. 

Legally theres 4 alternatives.. Letter from immigration, letter from embassy, yellow house book, or old style work permit with address.. Some places accept a pink ID card but its not consistent. 

Archived