Immigration raid nets 48 Pakistanis in SE Bangkok

webfact

Immigration raid nets 48 Pakistanis in SE Bangkok

By Kornkamon Aksorndech
The Nation

bkk.jpg

Children were among a total of 48 Pakistani nationals rounded up by Immigration police this week at an apartment in Bangkok's Bang Na district.

Most had overstayed their visas while several didn't have any travel documents at all, Immigration Police Bureau chief Pol Lt-General Sompong Chingdoung told a press conference on Tuesday.

The raid in Soi Baring netted 26 passport holders and 14 with no documents plus another eight people who carried cards indicating they had registered to apply for refugee status with the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR). Of the 48 migrants, 24 were found to be overstaying their visa, three had illegally entered the country and the remaining 21 were "accompanying persons" according to the police.

Sompong said some of the overstayers had entered Thailand in 2013. Police believe the eight holders of UNHCR cards were not successful in obtaining refugee status. The Immigration Police Bureau will now contact the Social Development and Human Security Ministry as well as refugee-advocate organisations to help screen the 48 Pakistanis, check for signs of human trafficking and ensure they are placed in a safe environment.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372647

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-09

I love these "Holier than thou" press conferences from the Thai Authorities. 

Just a little snip from a "Nation" news article of Nov 2018....

"During the meeting, she was informed that up to September, there are 192,163 Thais living in South Korea and up to 128,520 of them were overstaying their visa."

https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30357754

2 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

orange beards .. ( and sometimes purple ones ) 

Will someone say that is perhaps racist - profiling people based on colour?

I once went to a fancy dress party dressed as an angel, with bright blue hair. Thank goodness no one from immigration spotted me.

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Will someone say that is perhaps racist - profiling people based on colour

Good point 'Sof .. Blimey they best not come looking in Thailand or there'll be loads on a black list given the amount of hair dye used .. 

3 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Good point 'Sof .. Blimey they best not come looking in Thailand or there'll be loads on a black list given the amount of hair dye used .. 

They'd have to search the dark web to find them.

P.S. JG - sent you a pm a couple of days ago.

17 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I once went to a fancy dress party dressed as an angel, with bright blue hair. Thank goodness no one from immigration spotted me

Came back on a night bus from the airport once .. There was a dude from India a couple of seats in front who'd done the hair dye .. But not overall coverage sort of more stripey so from a few seats back it looked like he had a badger on his head .. 

8 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Came back on a night bus from the airport once .. There was a dude from India a couple of seats in front who'd done the hair dye .. But not overall coverage sort of more stripey so from a few seats back it looked like he had a badger on his head .. 

Was he on his own - perhaps he didn't mix with the right 'set'? At least he had some hair, so not as bald as a badger.

10 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Goodness gracious me, they must have been sleeping and eating in shifts.????????.

That wouldn't be anything new. Years ago in the UK there was a company called Tuff who made and supplied working boots and they guaranteed them for 6 months. They were getting loads returned for refund within the 6 month period as they were worn out. further investigation found they we working shifts and as one pakistani got out of the boots another one got in.

3 hours ago, sotonowl said:

That wouldn't be anything new. Years ago in the UK there was a company called Tuff who made and supplied working boots and they guaranteed them for 6 months. They were getting loads returned for refund within the 6 month period as they were worn out. further investigation found they we working shifts and as one pakistani got out of the boots another one got in.

I thought it was a year,s guarantee, but yes, I knew Jack Britten, owner of the Tuf Shoes company and this was what was happening ???? If there is any way to abuse or take advantage of a situation, the pakkies will find it !

17 hours ago, webfact said:

he Immigration Police Bureau will now contact the Social Development and Human Security Ministry as well as refugee-advocate organisations to help screen the 48 Pakistanis, check for signs of human trafficking and ensure they are placed in a safe environment.

Back in Pakistan !!

16 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I love these "Holier than thou" press conferences from the Thai Authorities. 

Just a little snip from a "Nation" news article of Nov 2018....

"During the meeting, she was informed that up to September, there are 192,163 Thais living in South Korea and up to 128,520 of them were overstaying their visa."

https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30357754

And what has that got to do with this story.

3 minutes ago, Barry343 said:
15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

If they were rounded up wouldn't that be 50?

Most people know in this case " rounded up " means caught.

Hmm, so far 14 people with a sense of humour enjoyed my little wordplay.

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Goodness gracious me, they must have been sleeping and eating in shifts.????????.

They do the same in Australia, recently in Sydney 19 were found to be renting a one bedroom apartment. All had work , one man and one female had work permits which they shared with the others.

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Knowing Pakistan is a hub of Islamic terrorism, this is not really a feel good story

Yeah, but it's a hub that's in Thailand, so not a real problem as Thailand is aiming to be the hub of anything and everything.

<end of sarcasm mode>

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

and 14 with no documents

Can immigration explain how they got into Thailand????

Had no documents? sold them, threw them away, it takes longer to deport someone without a passport, they have to wait on Pakistan issuing a new one

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Will someone say that is perhaps racist - profiling people based on colour?

I once went to a fancy dress party dressed as an angel, with bright blue hair. Thank goodness no one from immigration spotted me.

My wife and i were invited to a fancy dress party, and she didn't know what to go as. I suggested she wear a pair of my black socks and a pair of my black gloves and nothing else, and go as the 5 of spades

Archived