BANGKOK
Sheryl

Retirement extension (800k) at Prachinburi Imm: new requirements

6 minutes ago, offset said:

Maybe the account is not good for what the Immigration want, if you can get a FD where you have the interest added to then you should be able to make a small withdraw from the interest and then update the book which is what I do

If you cannot withdraw you money on that account you might find out that the Immigration might not accept it next year because that say the money must be available

yeah agree maybe switch to bangkok bank if you can. interest updates on the bank book and also you can ask the bank to update without a deposit (though you can add more if you wish) and an extra line just gets printed to the book.

one problem i can see is that if they are adamant deposit needs to be kept on the same account all year, with bangkok bank, you cannot roll the deposit to the latest 12 month rate as that requires a new account and book, on the same account it will roll at 1%.

• Like 1

Some years ago when I used Kasikorn Bank to qualify for my retirement extension, I had the same problem that the bank was unable to make an update of the book because there were no new transactions. I suggested that they credit my account with zero Baht, which would result in a new line with current date and current balance. That solved the problem.

I now use Bangkok Bank who is able to just make a forced update.

Sophon

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Also a flurry over the fact that my FD bank book was not updated. I tried to update it, bank insisted they could not since it was a fixed account with no transactions made (or allowed) since it was opened. I did have the standard bank letter, dated today, which made it clear that the balance was unchanged as of today  and after a while they accepted this but with request to have a "full statement" io "update" next year. How I can do this I do not know as my bank is adament that they can't update a bankbook if there have been no transactions, and does not allow additional deposits to a fixed account.

Which bank is this? (Wild guess SCB).

It's the term that's fixed, not the deposit.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Nor will they pay the interest into the account, it has to come into my other savings account (this I went through when I opened the FD account). 

What!

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I suspect next year I will end up having to have immigration talk to the bank on  the phone to see what the Bank can provide that they will accept...and maybe call bank HQ.

Next year open an FD account with Bangkok Bank and save yourself all these problems.

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Which bank is this? (Wild guess SCB).

It's the term that's fixed, not the deposit.

What!

Next year open an FD account with Bangkok Bank and save yourself all these problems.

Not SCB. Kasikorn.

It's a 24 month deposit so will still be there next year.

And I really do nto want the hassle of having accounts at 2 different banks. Plus after all the hullaballoo about linking this FD account to my ordinary savings account (because that was what I had used the year before) I shudder to think what they'd make of yet another new account and a a different bank at that.

IO is fine with FD, in fact prefers it. They just wanted to see an update. I will try the "add 0" idea next year though not sure they can with an account that doesn't allow further deposits. If not, will call the HQ as I am sure there is some kind of statement they can issue that would satisfy Imm. Probably just a clueless bank staff member.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not SCB. Kasikorn.

It's a 24 month deposit so will still be there next year.

And I really do nto want the hassle of having accounts at 2 different banks. Plus after all the hullaballoo about linking this FD account to my ordinary savings account (because that was what I had used the year before) I shudder to think what they'd make of yet another new account and a a different bank at that.

IO is fine with FD, in fact prefers it. They just wanted to see an update. I will try the "add 0" idea next year though not sure they can with an account that doesn't allow further deposits. If not, will call the HQ as I am sure there is some kind of statement they can issue that would satisfy Imm. Probably just a clueless bank staff member.

My account was also a type that didn't allow further deposits (a special promotion type FD where the promotion period had ended).

It took a little convincing to get them to do the "credit zero" transaction. First they just gave me a printed account statement, which they claimed Immigration at Suan Phlu would accept (of course they would not). When I returned to the branch and suggested the "credit zero" transaction, the teller didn't think that was possible (she had never done it before). But I managed to persuade her to try, and it worked fine.   

Sophon

• Thanks 1

Great tip Sophon, Thanks!

Now if any of you could PM me the instruction to do a zero credit transaction written in Thai I'll be evermore in your debt.

Posted (edited)

Looks like extension based on marriage, had to show map and photos inside/outside house with number and wife of course last time I did it.

Maybe next year they'll ask all retirees to add a young thai lady into the picture too, for medical benefits to help keep you alive as long as possible 🙂

show copy of her id and house book 🙂

Edited by Tim K
  • Haha 1