Factbox: Trump attacks British ambassador - is U.S.-UK relationship still special?

snoop1130

43 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

He called Trump a clumsy, inept liar with a dysfunctional administration.  If that ain't personal what pray tell is?

And you are saying he is not? ????

I have seen worse said about Trump on TVF, the guy ought to face up to reality, there is a saying "if you want respect you have to earn it".

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, usviphotography said:

I think the Special Relationship is on its last legs. Ironically, it is being propped up by Boomers such as Trump who still hold sentimental feelings for the United Kingdom because of the propaganda that was still prevalent during their youth. Republicans under the age of 50 tend to view the British Government with the same distaste they do the French and Germans. I don't think Americans have any problem with the British people per se, but at least on the Republican side, once Trump's generation dies off there will be no "special relationship". Younger conservatives see Hungary, Romania, Japan, and the entire Slavic World as better partners than the Brits. 

I mean, just look at the Tommy Robinson situation. Here is a guy who enjoys pretty much universal support among the American Right and he's contemplating asking for political asylum from an allegedly Center-Right British Government. If that doesn't highlight how out of whack the countries have gotten politically I don't know what does. 

British racist supported by US racists.. who would have thought !

2 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Trump’s supporters cry out " Trump is God’s man." The enthusiastic, uncritical embrace of Trump by white evangelicals is among the most mind-blowing developments of the Trump era. How can a group that for decades—and especially during the Bill Clinton presidency—insisted that character counts and that personal integrity is an essential component of presidential leadership not only turn a blind eye to the ethical and moral transgressions of  Trump, but also constantly defend him? Why are those who have been on the vanguard of “family values” so eager to give a man with a sordid personal and sexual history a pass?

Because they are hypocrites!

17 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

How dysfunctional

July 2018 - Trump delivered a withering verdict on Britain's Brexit strategy in an interview published just hours before holding talks with May in London, saying her strategy would "kill" any chance of a trade deal with the U.S. and said she had not listened to his advice on how to negotiate with the EU.

Hours later he changed tack, praising May and saying there could be a great deal, while tens of thousands of people joined protests against his visit denouncing his policies as divisive. May 2019 - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo attacked Britain over its attitude toward China and Huawei, the world's largest telecoms equipment maker, saying it could impede Washington's sharing of intelligence with London. The warning came after Britain's preliminary decision to allow China's Huawei a restricted role in building parts of its 5G network.

June 2019 - Trump accused May of botching Britain's negotiations to leave the EU and said the next British leader should send arch-Brexiteer Nigel Farage to conduct talks with the EU. July 2019 - Britain's ambassador to the United States, Kim Darroch, described Trump as "radiating insecurity" and his administration as diplomatically "clumsy and inept" in private correspondence leaked to a British newspaper.

For whatever it is worth my confidence errs on the side of Darroch for truthfulness- as one would expect of man of his import and credibility.

Trump doesn't follow the "polite norms" of the elite globalists and hence he is despised by them. What he DOES do is get things done. He's upended the swamp-dwellers from their cushy seats and is putting the people back in charge of their country, instead of inept, worthless bureaucrats that simply take up space and money. He's accomplished more in two years than others have in 8 and he'll be re-elected by a landslide in 2020 regardless of the toothless haters. MAGA Donald.

37 minutes ago, DividendGuy said:

Some of you can spin it anyway you want, but it is still an insult to the US President. Will he be so understanding and allow it to pass or will he do something about it, after all he has the power to do something or not...his choice. Let's hope he is as forgiving.

He is a narcisstic bully so yes he will do something about it .....spew bile on Twitter.

The fact that this only reinforces the statements that were leaked ,says much about his total inadequacy to be in charge of anything other than a potty.

28 minutes ago, Basil B said:

And you are saying he is not? ????

I have seen worse said about Trump on TVF, the guy ought to face up to reality, there is a saying "if you want respect you have to earn it".

He's "earning it" and much more. He's the most accomplished POTUS in history for the first two years and history will show it when he's done, regardless of the swamp dwellers and the globalist, elitist, pseudo-communists.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

That was his private personal observation and that is his job, to honestly tell the UK Gov what his opinion (on Trump)  is .

It was a private discussion and not meant for public consumption 

What two bit banana republic can't keep it's embassy cables private?  I don't blame Trump I'd not have the guy in my house either.  

On a historical note - the US/UK so called special relationship refers to collaboration and sharing of nuclear weapons technology.

UK scientist made a significant contribution in the development of the first atomic bombs in the Manhattan project. In fact the UK started researching the development of an atomic bomb prior to the US involvement in the highly classified atomic bomb project, known as

'Tube Alloys'.  The research and technology gained from this project was transferred to the Manhattan project

After the successful testing and use of the Atomic Bombs and the end of WWII , the UK expected to continue with its 'special Relationship' with the US in continued research and development with its own atomic bomb. But the US wanted to keep the bomb for itself . The McMahon Act  of 1946 forbade the sharing of nuclear technology with any country including the UK.  So ending the 'special Relationship' .

It was not until the UK successfully developed its own atomic and 'hydrogen' bombs that the 'special Relationship' was reestablished in 1958.

So much for us/uk special relationships and trusting the word of any US government

22 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

On a historical note - the US/UK so called special relationship refers to collaboration and sharing of nuclear weapons technology.

UK scientist made a significant contribution in the development of the first atomic bombs in the Manhattan project. In fact the UK started researching the development of an atomic bomb prior to the US involvement in the highly classified atomic bomb project, known as

'Tube Alloys'.  The research and technology gained from this project was transferred to the Manhattan project

After the successful testing and use of the Atomic Bombs and the end of WWII , the UK expected to continue with its 'special Relationship' with the US in continued research and development with its own atomic bomb. But the US wanted to keep the bomb for itself . The McMahon Act  of 1946 forbade the sharing of nuclear technology with any country including the UK.  So ending the 'special Relationship' .

It was not until the UK successfully developed its own atomic and 'hydrogen' bombs that the 'special Relationship' was reestablished in 1958.

So much for us/uk special relationships and trusting the word of any US government

Much more than this.

The Brits were post WW II, the boys with the fighter jets and technology that went with it. Even post Korean War, the UK still had the fastest, bestest jets.

THE US in the 50's cajoled/forced/blackmailed the UK into handing over everything they knew about jet fighter technology as they had already let the Soviets have some of the plans & designs, which did not go down well in Washington.

Not forgetting we only paid off the last of the war (WW II) lease loan payments this century.

Nice little earner from a supposed special relationship family member.

Not forgetting there was no help in WW II, nor a taste for war in Europe until Pearl Harbour forcing the American's hand.

IMHO there never has been a Special Relationship.

This pathetic & one sided embarrassing phrase all came about between Thatcher & Reagan in the Cold War Years.

6 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Much more than this.

The Brits were post WW II, the boys with the fighter jets and technology that went with it. Even post Korean War, the UK still had the fastest, bestest jets.

THE US in the 50's cajoled/forced/blackmailed the UK into handing over everything they knew about jet fighter technology as they had already let the Soviets have some of the plans & designs, which did not go down well in Washington.

Not forgetting we only paid off the last of the war (WW II) lease loan payments this century.

Nice little earner from a supposed special relationship family member.

Not forgetting there was no help in WW II, nor a taste for war in Europe until Pearl Harbour forcing the American's hand.

This pathetic & one sided embarrassing phrase all came about between Thatcher & Reagan in the Cold War Years.

Under Trump the United States is fast becoming seen as rogue superpower, neither isolationist nor internationalist, neither withdrawing nor in decline, but active, powerful and entirely out for itself. Trump is power mad and endeavouring to bend this intractable world to his will. All at the expense of the United States’ allies and partners. Unless you are Israel or Russia that is.

18 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I don't see why you English get so upset. You seem to obsess over the US. But most people in the US, almost all of them, actually, don't spend any time at all thinking about Britain. The UK means nothing to most Americans. Doesn't impact them at all. The only person upset about this is Trump, because for some reason, the idiot is an Anglophile and has had his personal feelings hurt. 

56 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

What - go to school in Thailand?  

Winston Churchill 1946

I come to the crux of what I have traveled here to say. Neither the sure prevention of war, nor the continuous rise of world organization will be gained without what I have called the fraternal association of the English-speaking peoples. This means a special relationship between the British Commonwealth and Empire and the United States.

Want any more help feel free to ask.  

25 minutes ago, expatfromwyoming said:

For seven decades Presidents of the United States rejected this approach to the world after 1945, choosing instead to take a broad, “enlightened” view of its interests. It built and defended a order premised on the idea that Americans would be safe only if democratic values were safe. It regarded its interests and ideals as intimately bound together, its democratic alliances as permanent. 

US Policy during the Cold War revolved around winning the Cold War and the US closely allied itself with anybody who would advance that cause, including some of the most vicious and brutal dictators of the 20th Century. Any "Democratic Movement" seen an a threat to US Cold War policy was actively subverted by the CIA so don't give me this "democratic values" nonsense. And in any event, the Cold War is now over. Even those "men of intellect" responsible for the policies the US practiced during the Cold War would admit that it is time to establish a new paradigm.  

28 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

America funded the war and supplied your war supplies beginning before Pearl Harbor and only asked for you to return what you did not use.  Britain ran out of money and supplies in 1942.

I know your bar buddies told you that you had to pay it back but that's false too as what you paid back was the, "Anglo American Loan of 1946" after the war was over and an attempt to retake your lost colonies.  

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

America funded the war and supplied your war supplies beginning before Pearl Harbor and only asked for you to return what you did not use.  Britain ran out of money and supplies in 1942.

I know your bar buddies told you that you had to pay it back but that's false too as what you paid back was the, "Anglo American Loan of 1946" after the war was over and an attempt to retake your lost colonies.  

Incorrect.

Read up some more.

Oh, and don't believe and listen to your "bar buddies".

Dude.

26 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I find the ambassador's behaviour very strange in this case. Normally strong views of this kind would be conveyed by word of mouth, not by e mail. 

What you're asserting is false. Just flat out false. This kind of communications are common. What is not common, in fact just about unprecedented is the leak.

17 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

US Policy during the Cold War revolved around winning the Cold War and the US closely allied itself with anybody who would advance that cause, including some of the most vicious and brutal dictators of the 20th Century. Any "Democratic Movement" seen an a threat to US Cold War policy was actively subverted by the CIA so don't give me this "democratic values" nonsense. And in any event, the Cold War is now over. Even those "men of intellect" responsible for the policies the US practiced during the Cold War would admit that it is time to establish a new paradigm.  

Yeah right?????? And Trump is it!!!!! ????

35 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

What you're asserting is false. Just flat out false. This kind of communications are common. What is not common, in fact just about unprecedented is the leak.

You are entirely wrong. All ambassadors are under clear instructions to restrict such comments to word of mouth. Written comments, as in the current case, would refer to unpredictability, sensitivity and the like. You clearly have little experience in these matters.

41 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

When I was in the military we had a phone for those things.  It was scrambled and two stories underground.  My job for a while was to pick it up every hour and see if there was a dial tone.  

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

What two bit banana republic can't keep it's embassy cables private?  I don't blame Trump I'd not have the guy in my house either.  

USA. Never heard of Wikileaks?

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

USA. Never heard of Wikileaks?

And the pee pee leaker from from the UK report Steele dossier.  Although to be fair I don't think an ambassador did the leaking - no pun intended.  You would think the embassy would know how to keep a secret.  

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

And the pee pee leaker from from the UK report Steele dossier.  Although to be fair I don't think an ambassador did the leaking - no pun intended.  You would think the embassy would know how to keep a secret.  

It was a leak, just as there have been numerous leaks from the White House. Hopefully HMG can track down the person who passed the info to the Sun. Would be really interesting to know the person's objectives as well as why a media outlet forever claiming to be 'patriotic' would release into the public domain.

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

When I was in the military we had a phone for those things.  It was scrambled and two stories underground.  My job for a while was to pick it up every hour and see if there was a dial tone.  

Is your point is that the leak was due to some kind of security defect in the communications system? 

53 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Is your point is that the leak was due to some kind of security defect in the communications system? 

My point was the information was conveyed to one other person over the phone.  No record no leaks.  I find it hard to believe everything now days is written and saved.  Look what it did for Nixon!

Archived