Factbox: Trump attacks British ambassador - is U.S.-UK relationship still special?

snoop1130

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

It was a leak, just as there have been numerous leaks from the White House. Hopefully HMG can track down the person who passed the info to the Sun. Would be really interesting to know the person's objectives as well as why a media outlet forever claiming to be 'patriotic' would release into the public domain.

Are you taking bets?  I'd say no one will ever be found.  Or if found, just some flunkies who will fall on a sword for anyone.   

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with the relationship. It is the definitely not special president that is the problem here. The ambassador only spoke the truth. Something everyone around the world sees and knows. The man child simply cannot handle truth. His delicate ego was wounded. Poor poor Donald. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

My point was the information was conveyed to one other person over the phone.  No record no leaks.  I find it hard to believe everything now days is written and saved.  Look what it did for Nixon!

Look what making phone calls did for prince charles and squidgygate. Never heard of a certain british newspaper hacking phones?

A very responsible British patriot resigned for his country kudos sir and to see and hear Teresa May have his and all the British civil services backs is magnificent the difference or comparison is stunning when compared to donalds administration is so deeply apparent kudos Britain 

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Look what making phone calls did for prince charles and squidgygate. Never heard of a certain british newspaper hacking phones?

I believe phones in the embassy and military are scrambled beyond hacking ability.  At least they were when I was there.  

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

A very responsible British patriot resigned for his country kudos sir and to see and hear Teresa May have his and all the British civil services backs is magnificent the difference or comparison is stunning when compared to donalds administration is so deeply apparent kudos Britain 

If May had his back why did he resign or were you making a joke?

7 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Under Trump the United States is fast becoming seen as rogue superpower, neither isolationist nor internationalist, neither withdrawing nor in decline, but active, powerful and entirely out for itself. Trump is power mad and endeavouring to bend this intractable world to his will. All at the expense of the United States’ allies and partners. Unless you are Israel or Russia that is.

I think "rogue superpower" is a meaningless phrase. Superpower, almost by definition, cannot be rogue countries.

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

You are entirely wrong. All ambassadors are under clear instructions to restrict such comments to word of mouth. Written comments, as in the current case, would refer to unpredictability, sensitivity and the like. You clearly have little experience in these matters.

I doubt you've got any experience is these matters, or that there's actually such "clear instructions". Recall reading such (and worse, much much worse) back when, on an almost daily basis. If you're having trouble accepting all of this, maybe don't try and Google "Wikileaks" in this context.

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

My point was the information was conveyed to one other person over the phone.  No record no leaks.  I find it hard to believe everything now days is written and saved.  Look what it did for Nixon!

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I believe phones in the embassy and military are scrambled beyond hacking ability.  At least they were when I was there.  

I'm not sure why you imagine "scrambled beyond hacking ability" is a valid concept. It might be true for a certain point in time. Maybe. There were numerous reports about the NSA listening in to various world leaders. There are numerous confidential calls intercepted as a matter of routine. Sorry about that bubble.

9 hours ago, Tug said:

Except Boris who some also are also are concerned not enough character to stand up to trump's bullying

8 hours ago, Morch said:

I'm not sure why you imagine "scrambled beyond hacking ability" is a valid concept. It might be true for a certain point in time. Maybe. There were numerous reports about the NSA listening in to various world leaders. There are numerous confidential calls intercepted as a matter of routine. Sorry about that bubble.

AES 256.  I'd tell you some secret stuff but the the black helicopters would come and get me.  

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

And then what did that person who received the information do? Did they just keep it to themselves? Or convey it verbally to another person? Sounds like the game of telephone, where the point is to see how garbled a message becomes. Obviously your description of how things should work is impracticable.

Governance, for Trump, is a violent assault on the forces of the unknown in order to force them to bow before none other than Trump himself. It appears impossible to out-Trump Trump. He can’t be outshouted. He can’t be out-insulted. He can’t be shamed into doing anything, for he lacks shame.

Trump has successfully made politics all about himself. It’s not just that he has asserted executive privilege over the legislative branch. It’s not even that he’s ignored the advice of his cabinet and concentrated decision-making power in his own hands.

It’s worse than that.

Trumps politics are not democratic politics. This is the politics of the man on the white horse, of the caudillo, of the generalissimo.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, snoop1130 said:

Britain’s ambassador to the United States, Kim Darroch, described Trump as “radiating insecurity” and his administration as diplomatically “clumsy and inept” in private correspondence leaked to a British newspaper.

Insecure, Clumsy and Inept. If this is how one foreign diplomat sees the current administration, how do other foreign diplomats see it.

‘It Could Have Been Any of Us’: Disdain for Trump Runs Among Ambassadors

Ask members of the Washington diplomatic corps about the cables that Sir Kim Darroch, the British ambassador who resigned Wednesday, wrote to London describing the dysfunction and chaos of the Trump administration, and their response is uniform: We wrote the same stuff.

“Yes, yes, everyone does,” Gérard Araud, who retired this spring as the French ambassador, said on Wednesday morning of his own missives from Washington.

So it appears that several other foreign diplomats feel the same way.

22 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

What two bit banana republic can't keep it's embassy cables private? 

I assume you are American?

Should not throw bricks when you live in a glass house...

If you do not understand here is a clue: 

18IN_THVLR_CHELSEA_MANNING.jpg.3bde920e6d14518ab368039d8feccdb1.jpg

6 hours ago, Silurian said:

Insecure, Clumsy and Inept. If this is how one foreign diplomat sees the current administration, how do other foreign diplomats see it.

All who personally know him think he is a wacky   moron and all the rednecks who support him think he is a "stable genius ". I guess the old adage applies "Birds of a feather flock together".

7 hours ago, Silurian said:

A quote from the diplomat serving an International Banker married to his grandmother who was foisted literally out of nowhere on the French people by the Globalist Elite to serve as their President and who has been presiding over weekly riots for the better part of the year. That is what these people see as "stable and responsible" government. 

Does Trump break a few eggs? Yeah. You have to be willing to do that if you have any hope of freeing your country from the pernicious elites who have ruled with and iron fist for generations. And of course the establishment class is going to scream bloody murder as you do it. 

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

I assume you are American?

Should not throw bricks when you live in a glass house...

If you do not understand here is a clue: 

18IN_THVLR_CHELSEA_MANNING.jpg.3bde920e6d14518ab368039d8feccdb1.jpg

Why not?  The guy above should have been shot and his bosses should have been shot.  If one has diplomatically sensitive information convey it in such a way that it can't be hacked. 

Besides the British are supposed to have a top notch secret service, James Bond and all and be an example to us who are relatively new at it.  

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

All who personally know him think he is a wacky   moron and all the rednecks who support him think he is a "stable genius ". I guess the old adage applies "Birds of a feather flock together".

Rednecks?  Who would have thought.

red.jpg

2 hours ago, usviphotography said:

A quote from the diplomat serving an International Banker married to his grandmother who was foisted literally out of nowhere on the French people by the Globalist Elite to serve as their President and who has been presiding over weekly riots for the better part of the year. That is what these people see as "stable and responsible" government. 

What are you going on about?

2 hours ago, usviphotography said:

A quote from the diplomat serving an International Banker married to his grandmother

I know. It's disgusting there's a 24 year difference between them.

Whereas...

Melania Trump. born 1970

Donald Trump: born 1946

4 hours ago, usviphotography said:

Does Trump break a few eggs? Yeah. You have to be willing to do that if you have any hope of freeing your country from the pernicious elites who have ruled with and iron fist for generations. And of course the establishment class is going to scream bloody murder as you do it. 

As you say, it's a relief to know that Trump will take a few days thinking about the best qualified candidate to fill the vacant position as UK Ambassador to the U.S.

Too bad you made no comment about the former French Ambassador to the US's private life.

Archived