New Makro Sattahip

vogie

If I have put this in the wrong forum forgive me, but there isn't one I can see for Sattahip/Bangsare.

Driving back from Sattahip today I noticed they are building a new Macro next to the recently opened Big C. They were just putting the piles in, so might be built shortly and save me driving up to Pattaya.

Pattaya forum is OK as most everyone who lives down that way in Sattahip or Ban Chang reads Pattaya forum.

Sounds like good news for people down that way.

5 hours ago, LennyW said:

Is this the same as Makro or a copy of sorts?

Driving past it has the sign saying Makro, sticking my head on the line I would say it is the self same, do they do copies?

10 hours ago, vogie said:

Driving past it has the sign saying Makro, sticking my head on the line I would say it is the self same, do they do copies?

Aah, so just a simple spelling mistake on your part then, sorted.

It will depend on how Makro see the requirement in the area, the Pattaya one has a lot of foreign orientated products but you go to Rayong virtually nothing.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Macro vs. Makro let's me grin.

MAKRO !

It's not a name of English origin.

Funnily enough one of my favourite products is an anagram of Makro, Korma, they sell it at the Pattaya branch, hope they will sell at the new branch. But the Big C next door has less products than their branch in Patts so we'll just have to wait and see.

Indeed, Makro was found in The Netherlands about 40 years ago.

The Thai Makro has been sold to a Thai company several years ago.

With my Thai membership card I can shop in Holland as well..But different from Thai, where everyone can get the card, in Holland you must have proof that you own a shop or any kind of business.. 

21 minutes ago, tontraveller said:

Indeed, Makro was found in The Netherlands about 40 years ago.

The Thai Makro has been sold to a Thai company several years ago.

With my Thai membership card I can shop in Holland as well..But different from Thai, where everyone can get the card, in Holland you must have proof that you own a shop or any kind of business.. 

Yes indeed it is pretty much the same in the UK, but am I correct in thinking that there is money to saved in Holland and the UK, whereas in Thailand I cannot see that much difference in price if we were to compare to a Big C for example, alcohol would be one example.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

alcohol would be one example.

Indeed there is little to no difference for most alcohol. No promotions, no discount, no bonus points for alc allowed by the law.

For other products I could tell a number of examples where Makro beats others.

And BigC is in fierce competition with Tesco Lotus for the HIGHEST prices ????

2 hours ago, tontraveller said:

But different from Thai, where everyone can get the card, in Holland you must have proof that you own a shop or any kind of business.. 

Here a shop owner gets a card which serves to get a detailed invoice on a big sheet which can be used for tax refund(?).

Normal card will print a small thermal paper slip.

No price difference.

Always VAT included.

Years ago the daughter had a shop license. Long gone but I use the card unchanged.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, LennyW said:

Aah, so just a simple spelling mistake on your part then, sorted.

It will depend on how Makro see the requirement in the area, the Pattaya one has a lot of foreign orientated products but you go to Rayong virtually nothing.

Maybe true for Macro in Rayong, but at other outlets in the Ban Chang and Rayong area,  my wife and I can get everything we ever want, including a range of western goods. I do still shop at Siamburys Pattaya for cheese through. 

• 1 month later...

The new Makro opened today, not exactly in Sattahip but built right next to the newish Big C in between Sattahip and Bangsare. It was typically choc-a-block, but no surprise on their first day of opening. Quite a selection of fish and meats that cannot be bought next door in Big C, big frozen fish and big cuts of pork etc. They have a few selection of boxes of beer like Leo and Chang, but the main alcohol shop has not opened there yet.

Looking forward to have a better look around if and when the crowds subside.

IMG_20191115_111212.jpg

IMG_20191115_111835.jpg

Archived