Win 10_1903 v1 install but now no sound drivers.

steven100

1 minute ago, david555 said:

More safer even if your system is in perfect working order make a system image on a separate drive , after any big disturbance or crash you are in an hour back in working order as before 

Not connected.

In six months there will be another feature upgrade. So restoring an old version would not be ideal.

Unless he has some special setup, a reinstall or reset takes no time at all.

An cloned image in this case is only worth it if you have a customised setup that would take hours to replicate. 

Certainly not the case if he has only just installed Windows. So I wouldn't bother at this stage.

What I would recommend is downloading and installing https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/download/ and applying it's protections.

https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/

51 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Yahoo   !!!!  success  !!  I finally just clicked on the Storm file and it found the Realtek SST and installed it …. at first I was looking for the actual subfile …. which was a headache.   

here. test your sound out.

4 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Not connected.

In six months there will be another feature upgrade. So restoring an old version would not be ideal.

Unless he has some special setup, a reinstall or reset takes no time at all.

An cloned image in this case is only worth it if you have a customised setup that would take hours to replicate. 

Certainly not the case if he has only just installed Windows. So I wouldn't bother at this stage.

What I would recommend is downloading and installing https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/download/ and applying it's protections.

https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/

Advantage is that it gives you back all your settings documents and installed programs included with original serials , making cost time (when sleeping it goes on ..) restoring it takes me not more than1 hour .

Of course you have this to do several times to stay a little bit accurate with new things ..

The traditional restore points & even the reset have let me down a few times , system image never , and now "Macrium reflect" has the possibility to make a onboard system restore disk option in your Windows boot menu which shows in your normal boot menu at choice , setting "x" showing seconds in windows system 

13 hours ago, david555 said:

Advantage is that it gives you back all your settings documents and installed programs included with original serials , making cost time (when sleeping it goes on ..) restoring it takes me not more than1 hour .

Of course you have this to do several times to stay a little bit accurate with new things ..

The traditional restore points & even the reset have let me down a few times , system image never , and now "Macrium reflect" has the possibility to make a onboard system restore disk option in your Windows boot menu which shows in your normal boot menu at choice , setting "x" showing seconds in windows system 

As I wrote before, that is only if you have settings, documents and installed programs. 

At this stage, I don't think the OP has much of that. So I wouldn't bother.

Perhaps different for someone who has disabled all telemetry and invested hours in a lot of different tweaks and has a lot of standalone programs installed.

But the OP can likely replace everything he has currently in less than an hour.

Add to that that six monthly feature updates and it's really just a waste of time unless it is done just prior to a feature update.

I'm a big fan of clean installs anyway.

The OP might think about fitting an SSD to the device at some point. The 64 GB eMMC might prove a bit restrictive.

The driver update programs are something best avoided IMO.

You have to question where the drivers they recommend come from, and whether their recommendations are actually valid for your situation.

You might think the program goes out to the company's website (eg, AMD's website for your Radeon card) but instead the updater checks it's own warehouse

I tried a few different ones a while back, and kept getting alerts like "WARNING!  You need to update your ____ driver NOW!"  I would go to directly to the device maker's site, find out I already had the latest drivers installed.  After going through this a few times I questioned the whole reasoning behind these free, helpful utilities.  And yes, a few times the new drivers caused nothing but grief, had to restore etc.

I think it is a fair question to ask what it is about these drivers that make them different from the ones released by the various hw manufacturers.

26 minutes ago, bendejo said:

The driver update programs are something best avoided IMO.

You have to question where the drivers they recommend come from, and whether their recommendations are actually valid for your situation.

You might think the program goes out to the company's website (eg, AMD's website for your Radeon card) but instead the updater checks it's own warehouse

I tried a few different ones a while back, and kept getting alerts like "WARNING!  You need to update your ____ driver NOW!"  I would go to directly to the device maker's site, find out I already had the latest drivers installed.  After going through this a few times I questioned the whole reasoning behind these free, helpful utilities.  And yes, a few times the new drivers caused nothing but grief, had to restore etc.

I think it is a fair question to ask what it is about these drivers that make them different from the ones released by the various hw manufacturers.

They may be legitimate Drivers, but they might be Drivers specifically engineered for another device of a similar specification. 

Archived