No money to pay short overstay in airport - what will happen?

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

I would suggest it would be worth borrowing from someone or selling any possessions he may have to raise the B2,500

I believe he could still have a electronic device with which he can produce Techno music and a Laptop.

But can he sale that in the Airport ?

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Does not sound like she is your girlfriend - lol

Yes - that is life - a younger then her handsome Falang man can drive also a Thai woman crazy - lol 

But she with me since 16.6. and not with him ????

12 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

Does anyone know if an embassy would front him this type of money?  

Embassies don't lend money but usually will help facilitate it's arrival from friends or family back home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ALFREDO said:
5 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

I suppose he could say pay when I return officer.somehow I think that would not work at passport control.

My Gf thinks that would work for him lol

I presume you're not discussing with your gf the implications of him showing up at immigration without the overstay money. He may have wised up to this already, depending on who he's spoken to. 

When's he due to fly? Sounds like he's already in overstay so the flight he's booked must be pretty imminent. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I presume you're not discussing with your gf the implications of him showing up at immigration without the overstay money. He may have wised up to this already, depending on who he's spoken to. 

When's he due to fly? Sounds like he's already in overstay so the flight he's booked must be pretty imminent. 

?? He is already on overstay. Needs pay fine. Did you read op? It helps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ALFREDO said:

Yes - that is life - a younger then her handsome Falang man can drive also a Thai woman crazy - lol 

But she with me since 16.6. and not with him ????

From the 16th June?

Or June 2016? 

Even so, I still don't understand why she's still your girlfriend.

Don't leave her till you've told us the outcome tho!

Edited by bigginhill
Oops
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

?? He is already on overstay. Needs pay fine. Did you read op? It helps.

I should have omitted the "sounds like", yes I'm aware he's in overstay, but the OP hasn't mentioned how far. If the flight is booked 4-5 days into his overstay, he must be due to go to the airport very soon now, in the next couple of days.

I don't think it'd be that hard to hustle 2500 baht off someone (depending on how down and out he looks), and he could certainly hawk his laptop before leaving Pattaya, but it seems for the time being he doesn't realise the implications of showing up at immigration without the money. Obviously the OP is hoping it stays that way. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

You right - he is from an Ex Communist Eastern European country 

Is it Hungary?  ????????????

Seriously, as others have said, it would be absolutely best for your non-friend to beg or borrow (I won't say steal) the 2,500 baht. If that ls totally impossible, there are a few other options, but none of them are certain.  

1)  The embassy of his home country may be willing to lend him the money. Your non-friend apparently lacks the resources to travel to Bangkok, but he could at least give the embassy a call.  Even if the embassy can't lend him money directly, the consular officers may know of a Pattaya resident who is willing to help a fellow countryman in dire straights.  

2) The airline may be willing to lend him the overstay fee.  The reason isn't kindness or customer service, but because the airline would face so much potential hassle and expense if a passenger is denied exit by Thai immigration officials.  It's easier for the airline to make sure "troublesome" passengers leave the country on the booked flight rather than deal with a deportation.

3) It is not outside the realm of possibility that Thai immigration lets him through even if he doesn't have the cash to pay the overstay.  He would be sent to the overstay counter and they would require him to sign a binding agreement to remit the overstay fee plus an extra penalty, but it would be less hassle and ultimately, expense, than denying him boarding.  Get rid of him and flag his passport so he's denied entry to Thailand again if he doesn't pay the penalty.

However, there is NO guarantee any of these possibilities will work.  The only sure way for him to leave as scheduled is to have the overstay fee in his pocket when he checks in.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Is it Hungary?  ????????????

Seriously, as others have said, it would be absolutely best for your non-friend to beg or borrow (I won't say steal) the 2,500 baht. If that ls totally impossible, there are a few other options, but none of them are certain.  

1)  The embassy of his home country may be willing to lend him the money. Your non-friend apparently lacks the resources to travel to Bangkok, but he could at least give the embassy a call.  Even if the embassy can't lend him money directly, the consular officers may know of a Pattaya resident who is willing to help a fellow countryman in dire straights.  

2) The airline may be willing to lend him the overstay fee.  The reason isn't kindness or customer service, but because the airline would face so much potential hassle and expense if a passenger is denied exit by Thai immigration officials.  It's easier for the airline to make sure "troublesome" passengers leave the country on the booked flight rather than deal with a deportation.

3) It is not outside the realm of possibility that Thai immigration lets him through even if he doesn't have the cash to pay the overstay.  He would be sent to the overstay counter and they would require him to sign a binding agreement to remit the overstay fee plus an extra penalty, but it would be less hassle and ultimately, expense, than denying him boarding.  Get rid of him and flag his passport so he's denied entry to Thailand again if he doesn't pay the penalty.

However, there is NO guarantee any of these possibilities will work.  The only sure way for him to leave as scheduled is to have the overstay fee in his pocket when he checks in.

Evil

Evil ..you serious about this?.

Thai imm will not "let him through"... No.

Airline assist? Is that a joke.

Embassy assistance? Did he state nationality? Maybe I missed that. Anyway won't work untill in detention.

Any other ideas? Feel free.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

For the airline, there is no downside to his being locked up and deported. This is not like a denied entry situation where the airline is responsible for transporting him out of the country. It is 100% the responsibility of the Thai authorities to deal with him.

I suppose he could ask immigration if he could take a begging bowl along the queue at immigration, but I would be surprised if he is allowed to do it. Actually, thinking about it, there is a specific Thai law forbidding it.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Many Credit Card companies will not send replacement cards to Thailand so after a while they might have expired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 5 days?

If you're only out of your home country for a short time, it would be sensible

to carry cards to cover the duration of the trip, unless he has exceeded the limit,

of course.

• Like 2

I thought if you couldn’t pay any overstay they they detain you and it reduces at a rate of 300bht per day while they detain you. After that they keep you until you can get a flight out of the country via someone buying you a flight or embassy help. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wisperone said:

So someone waits until the very last day when he has no money left to leave the country? Makes no sense. Maybe some time in lockup will do him good.

Yes some are irresponsible and completely careless. 

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

I thought if you couldn’t pay any overstay they they detain you and it reduces at a rate of 300bht per day while they detain you. After that they keep you until you can get a flight out of the country via someone buying you a flight or embassy help. 

That is only if you are caught with an overstay.

At an airport they might just turn you away and tell you to find the money and try again if on a short overstay. Many airlines are diligent and a person might not get checked in for their flight if they could not show the money for their overstay fine.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

200 a day, but otherwise yes. Post #75 from @Arkady explains the process in detail. Aside from the ordeal of jail and IDC, the whole thing will end up being extremely expensive and when all's said and done, not least due to being required to book full fare direct flights out, back to home country. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

You right - I say nothing - my Gf is online on Facebook messenger with him - when I write now - lol

He is so careless - he spoke with nobody I think - 

On overstay now - flight this night after midnight 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigginhill said:

From the 16th June?

Or June 2016? 

Even so, I still don't understand why she's still your girlfriend.

Don't leave her till you've told us the outcome tho!

Yes 16.June 2019

She knows him since beginning of May.

After 17 years and with 3 children together one only 4 y. Young - and me having been cheating a lot to - I not give up so easy 

I still love her - 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I should have omitted the "sounds like", yes I'm aware he's in overstay, but the OP hasn't mentioned how far. If the flight is booked 4-5 days into his overstay, he must be due to go to the airport very soon now, in the next couple of days.

I don't think it'd be that hard to hustle 2500 baht off someone (depending on how down and out he looks), and he could certainly hawk his laptop before leaving Pattaya, but it seems for the time being he doesn't realise the implications of showing up at immigration without the money. Obviously the OP is hoping it stays that way. 

Yes - I would like if he gets into trouble - but maybe his home currency money reserved for his train trip in his home country - saves him?

If it is enough and if he still has it ?

I try to find out -

10 hours ago, mike787 said:

Who wants to start a Gofund to save this guy?  Anyone interested in pitching in some cash??

Nice - but I will not help out with any details - he threatened to kill me - more then once and wrote foul bad mouthed to me in PM before he blocked me. 

1 hour ago, ALFREDO said:

Nice - but I will not help out with any details - he threatened to kill me - more then once and wrote foul bad mouthed to me in PM before he blocked me. 

Death threats? Wow.

Why not get him out of your way by reporting him to the police? As he's on overstay, he'll be locked up and out of your way. A nice way to get your revenge too.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Death threats? Wow.

Why not get him out of your way by reporting him to the police? As he's on overstay, he'll be locked up and out of your way. A nice way to get your revenge too.

Police didn't give a damn about the death treats to him.

• Thanks 1