BANGKOK 18 July 2019 07:40
Jonathan Fairfield

Crackdown! Tourists in Pattaya face jail for riding motorcycles without a licence

On 7/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, Kim J said:

Those that have a licence and choose to travel and drive without an international licence are of the same level of stupidity as those that travel without a decent travel insurance policy, and should have their passports revoked.

Bit of a pompous post. Many people think they can ride a small motorbike without a licence when on holiday - I very much doubt a tourist would think they can obtain a Thai licence. The rental companies are the ones to blame for this. I've heard tourists asking if they need a licence - only to be told they don't, their passport is fine. If the rental companies stuck to the law, there would be no problem.

On the subject of travel insurance - this is the pompous bit.........Its all very easy for someone in good health with no previous serious illnesses to make such comments.  Try having a go at the insurance companies instead.......this is just one reason why.

I was treated for cancer 4 years ago. It is now virtually impossible for me to get any form of travel/health insurance at an affordable price.  I fully understand why an insurance company would not cover existing conditions and related items but I am no more likely to break a leg on holiday than you are. Yet, when I get quotes for travel or general health insurance I am quouted up to 10 times the premium. The insurance companies are simply ripping off people with existing conditions or a history of serious illness. They have the capability to make exclusions, there is no excuse for their behaviour.

I have invested 18 years of my life travelling to Thailand, I have a home in Korat, motorbike.....many things. What should I do, sell up and stay in my homeland, never straying from there?

Edited by KhaoYai

Get use to it because it will never change. Tourists will always pay more, a fact of life here in Thailand ....... forget about equal rights, fair play & actions of a racist nature ...... complaining will not do you any good. There is no logic, so don't even try to understand the "rules & regulations" here. If you argue it can end badly & Thai jails are not know for their hospitality. If you do ride a bike here, be sure you have a valid license, be sure you have additional medical insurance (this can be purchased locally) for the duration of your stay, be sure you wear a helmet & stay safe. Don't argue with police let your insurance agent deal with it if you happen to have an accident (they are usually "on the spot" very quickly).   

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 4:40 AM, essox essox said:

SURELY a tourist (or anybody in FACT) dould not be able to rent any vehicle IF THEY CAN NOT provide a driving licence....it is as simple as that!!!!

Then rent us either mini mopeds (max 50CC) or electric bicycles...

1 hour ago, D B Cooper said:

Then rent us either mini mopeds (max 50CC) or electric bicycles...

I am not sure how the Thai driving laws handle these. In a country where you see 7-8 year olds whizzing past you on a Honda Wave never been much call.