Crackdown! Tourists in Pattaya face jail for riding motorcycles without a licence

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That is going to piss the motorbike rental companies off no end, but at least we will be seeing fewer insurance companies skip out of paying hospital bills, as people will be properly licensed and legal on the roads.

No it is going to piss off ALL the foreigners who will now be stopped regardless of whether they live here or not.

How will plod tell the "local" foreigners from the tourists?

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

No it is going to piss off ALL the foreigners who will now be stopped regardless of whether they live here or not.

discrimination

7 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

What about locals with no license?

What about locals with no insurance?

(normally without both)

It's there country,  so they can do what they want.

it's the foreigners that are the cause of all the accidents.

Well,  that what the Wing-nuts think,  by the look of it. :giggle:

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Pattaya police are coming down hard on tourists who rent motorcycles without a licence.

Soooo, why are the Pattaya police not 'coming down hard' on vendors who rent motorcycles to 'tourists without a license?'

That is a rhetorical question. 

Just now, connda said:

Soooo, why are the Pattaya police not 'coming down hard' on vendors who rent motorcycles to 'tourists without a license?'

That is a rhetorical question. 

They are not going to arrest family members,  friends, or themselves. are they. :cheesy:.

16 minutes ago, connda said:

Do you hear that sound <bang, bang, bang>.  It's another nail being driven into the coffin of Thai tourism.

Rubbish absolute rubbish.....if you dont have a proper motorbike licence then you are simply illegal and should be treated as such. Bang em up simple as

30 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The local foreigners could show their Thai DL.

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

The local foreigners could show their Thai DL.

Not only that. Easy to spot a tourist 

1. Bike would have rental sticker or number 

2. 100 baht helmet on a tourist head

3. Dumb look in the eyes and shaky riding.

local foreigners are thaionised already , can ride at the same time talk on the phone and check out for any zits all simultaneously????

Jail a little harsh seems like a joke. But fine them also for not wearing a helmet perhaps double because in their home country they would dear do so because of the harsh fines there. And don’t forget to fine all the locals who ignore traffic rules like: not wearing a helmet , not  having a driving license,  approaching  driving on the wrong side of the road and endangering correct driving motorists , ignoring traffic lights  etc. After all Fair is Fair.

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Unless your rich and or connected the entire population faces jail for some misdemeanor or other????

And the connected people are probably the biggest crooks of the lot.

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

Not only that. Easy to spot a tourist 

1. Bike would have rental sticker or number 

2. 100 baht helmet on a tourist head

3. Dumb look in the eyes and shaky riding.

local foreigners are thaionised already , can ride at the same time talk on the phone and check out for any zits all simultaneously????

Yes, you can tell the people who've adapted properly as they'll have the entire family, plus dog, perched on their Honda Click and ensure that none of the children wear helmets. They might put a helmet on the dog though.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

I have to disagree with you. The "dumbsh$ts" are the tourists who for some reason think that they can ride bikes without a DL when they come to Thailand. They wouldn't do this 'at home', fine them heavily I say.

Well if you think the few tourists who are stupid enough to come with no DL, are the life blood of the the Thai tourist business , as opposed to the thousands upon thousands of tourists regularly fleeced by the RTP all over Thailand ( please remember the corrupt RTP run all elements of Thailand ) Then I'm sorry that you don't understand that the RTP leeches, being allowed to carry on like this, will do far more ongoing damage to Thailand's reputation as a tourist destination, then a few idiots without a DL.

hmmph,  I drive soi KaoTalo at midnight most nights of the week - other than the stupid dogs sleeping in the middle of the road, it's the local thai guys blasting up and down with no headlights or tail lights, just a loud muffler. sort of reminds me of the dog mentality, but that's not the point.

if police wanted to catch troublemakers, 20yr old somchi doing 90kph down a not so well road with no lights on his bike probably fueled yaba/booze, is dangerous yet ignored.

1 minute ago, legend49 said:

hope it gets out on world media . it will put a big hole in TAT tourist numbers.

Oh OK this should really be the absolute final nail in the tourist coffin..lot of nails in there

hope it gets out on world media . it will put a big hole in TAT tourist numbers.
I'm not so sure that most tourists come with the specific intention of breaking the law as part of their holiday agenda, it's just that when they are here the greed of the local business makes it an option......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

"...noisy bikes touring around the resort annoying other road users, other tourists and residents."

Clearly this is a protected profession, Thais only

I see this as a ploy to up the amount that can be squeezed from tourists: "You don't want to pay? Off to jail with you" Who fills out the TM 30? 

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

I have to disagree with you. The "dumbsh$ts" are the tourists who for some reason think that they can ride bikes without a DL when they come to Thailand. They wouldn't do this 'at home', fine them heavily I say.

wrong there are many without licences at "home" as they have lost their 12 points on their licence and still drive. I know many in most states in OZ who just take the risk.

3 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

hmmph,  I drive soi KaoTalo at midnight most nights of the week - other than the stupid dogs sleeping in the middle of the road, it's the local thai guys blasting up and down with no headlights or tail lights, just a loud muffler. sort of reminds me of the dog mentality, but that's not the point.

if police wanted to catch troublemakers, 20yr old somchi doing 90kph down a not so well road with no lights on his bike probably fueled yaba/booze, is dangerous yet ignored.

The BiB only do what they are told to do by those upstairs. Which isn't very often. If they had no instructions they will be doing their own thing..

2 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

From a little research I have come to the conclusion that the foreign mass in Thailand seems to be responsible for 100% of all crime here

And all the litter.

Archived