Crackdown! Tourists in Pattaya face jail for riding motorcycles without a licence

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Tourists shouldn't even held responsible; if they want to kill themselves, that's up to them. 

The rental companies should be held 100% responsible for injuries to any innocent parties, and be made to pay for hospital bills, funerals, and repairs to any damaged vehicles; if they have to sell their fleet and homes in order to pay, tough shit!  Perhaps then, they will all abide by the law, and not rent to the unlicenced tourists.

Meanwhile, unlicenced Thais need to be prosecuted, and have their vehicles crushed!

Being as the PM has decreed that the army and police will still have the authority to stop and search, they could be filling the courts on a daily basis.

Just my daily rant; usually to myself, but I've made my dogs wait for their walk while I share it with you.

What a stupid thing to say - how about if they kill someone else through their drunken idiotic behaviour? 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos for finally doing some enforcement, but it should be applied across the board, not just foreigners, while Thais continue to ride (and drive!) without licenses, helmets etc. Everything you idiots do is knee-jerk, and mostly targets foreigners and tourists. And you gits wonder why the hell are people staying away from Thailand!

6 hours ago, BestB said:

In the mean time , thai are allowed to ride and drive without a license with a 500 baht fine.

such measures needed to be introduced because it is foreigners who are the source of all road fatalities in Thailand????

Not knocking the decision just curious why same law does not apply to locals 

Thai's have little or no money for the bribe payments. And most of the RTP's kids probably ride around with no license too!! How else with they get to school!!! ????????????

2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

schoolbus.jpg

Some areas perhaps have buses. Many don't. See enough of these little maniacs every day. Got carved up by a girl on a Salaeng today 10 years old if she is a day. Lucky I was in the car!! 

Slightly ot but just a heads up for brit expats who want to acquire a thai licence,

Few weeks ago i took a mate to the licence issuing place, He had his original uk licence and an international, Seemed to have all the copies required ... all boxes ticked, 

He filled the form out in thai and spoke thai at all the counters, Then i noticed at one counter a girl leaned forward and spoke he nodded and answered, (i thought oh <deleted> he forgot something)

He told me she said why don't you get the bike licence while your here? and gave him another form,

Bear in mind he never swung his leg over a bike before, We guessed it had something to do with his licence allowing him to ride moped of 49cc which he never has,

He only had to do sight tests,reaction test, and the rest, Plus watch a 1hour video No theory or practical test, 

Walked out after 3hours with both licences in hand.

The Pattaya police are coming down hard on tourists who rent motorcycles without a licence. 

They face a month in jail or a one thousand baht fine. 

I know which one 99% of the tourists will opt for!

And yet further down the post it reads :- "Offenders could face a month in jail and a fine up to 1,000 baht or both."???

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Face jail or 1000 baht fine.....10,000 baht would be more of a deterrent.....as for loud exhausts are they seriously suggesting it`s only tourists to blame.....the mind boggles here sometimes :whistling:

So tourists here on an average of lets say 3-7 days.. spend money and time and non use of a rental to make lovely loud exhaust sounds so everybody sees them sneaking the ladyboy back to their love hotel..  hdcdgasffxdfjkhasfh  , sorry about that..  a gang of local boys underage with no licences, no helmets, no lights on,  modified exhausts with their little brothers on the back doing wheelies just went past me trying to write this at a restaurant oppisote a police station.  Yes, it all makes sence..

I can see this was clearly thought through...... Yes everyone should 

have a valid license that is acceptable by law.

Everyone means ALL not only tourists... before moving here and 

getting. Thai DL I rented Big Bikes ( not so big 500 cc) in Chiang Mai

shpuld my license (US) and no problem renting. Pattaya rented like

a fino never asked if I had a license only money. 

So if they want to do it ... do it right. If not it’s going to give people

who research trips prior to booking a sour stomach if it pertains to

only tourists...

Rental bikes aren’t the noise makers..

what happened to the guy who what looked like he fell of his 

HD Sporty and gave the cops a load of shiat... removed his shirt..

Maybe to the facility where BJ was sent and not heard of again .

Because the tourism has changed nowadays, no longer exist the tourist of 20/30 years ago polite and respectful. Nowadays the world it's full of boors,  i know that, because heard the accounts from the locals and that causing all these revolts against us by the thai authorities. 

48 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

What a stupid thing to say - how about if they kill someone else through their drunken idiotic behaviour? 

What a stupid reply!  That's the whole point!  They shouldn't have been allowed to rent the motorcycle in the first place!  

If they don't kill themselves, of course they will be held responsible, but no more than the moron who rented them the motorcycle.

5 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Tourists shouldn't even held responsible; if they want to kill themselves, that's up to them. 

The rental companies should be held 100% responsible for injuries to any innocent parties, and be made to pay for hospital bills, funerals, and repairs to any damaged vehicles; if they have to sell their fleet and homes in order to pay, tough shit!  Perhaps then, they will all abide by the law, and not rent to the unlicenced tourists.

Meanwhile, unlicenced Thais need to be prosecuted, and have their vehicles crushed!

Being as the PM has decreed that the army and police will still have the authority to stop and search, they could be filling the courts on a daily basis.

Just my daily rant; usually to myself, but I've made my dogs wait for their walk while I share it with you.

Will the car rental places at the airport rent me a car if I don't produce a license? Just wondering, but betting they won't.

7 hours ago, BestB said:

In the mean time , thai are allowed to ride and drive without a license with a 500 baht fine.

500 baht?? Not in my experience, they simply say "I left my licence at home" and pay 200 baht.

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Pol Maj Arut said that all tourists must be in possession of an international driving licence (or other legal permit) to rent and ride a motorcycle at the resort. 

What do you mean by "or other legal permit"?

1 hour ago, transam said:

Not all tourists are from the UK and your 99% of bikes here are probably 110cc..

Your UK car license does not allow you to drive a bike up to 125cc...In the UK you can if you have a valid CBT certificate which is not a license to show the BiB here....You must take a test for the bike category..

Like I said 125cc covers 99% of bikes in Thailand. 110cc included... Most tourists are from Europe which is similar licence-wise. My licence clearly has 125cc limit on it for bikes, and maybe because I got it in 1982 I don't need whatever a CBT is? I can also drive 7 tonne trucks without having any extra test, which I did for years as a student job back in the 80's. Anyway, I've spent 12 years in Thailand and the vicinity and never had a problem with my licence, although, yes, I do intend to get around to getting the Thai licence one day.. And I stick with cars nowadays - all reinforced Volvos..

If you are a Thai national you don't need licence .insurance, or lights . It is recommended to annoy others to have a straight through Exhaust ride with more than one a bike and carry your most loved baby . for all others you must be over 18 hold a valid licence or international permit wear a crash helmet at all times (this also does not apply to Thais ) also the police has no laws for themselves only to find ways to get more money from the rich falang 

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Crackdown! Tourists in Pattaya face jail for riding motorcycles without a licence

Right, it would be more than fair but, as always, tourists are the only culprits, what is happening about the many Thais who have never had a license, of all the children (Thai) who go carefree, many times in four or more a moped?
From farangs it is certainly easier to collect the fine!

1 minute ago, 30la said:

Right, it would be more than fair but, as always, tourists are the only culprits, what is happening about the many Thais who have never had a license, of all the children (Thai) who go carefree, many times in four or more a moped?
From farangs it is certainly easier to collect the fine!

Solly no hab money  you know the score 

Archived