Crackdown! Tourists in Pattaya face jail for riding motorcycles without a licence

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Just tourists? How about locals?

No money for pay fines .

Farang , he can pay , no problem. Welcome Thailand. 555

10 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

No it is going to piss off ALL the foreigners who will now be stopped regardless of whether they live here or not.

How will plod tell the "local" foreigners from the tourists?

Why should local foreigners not be stopped and checked, something special about them?

9 hours ago, Emdog said:

"...noisy bikes touring around the resort annoying other road users, other tourists and residents."

Clearly this is a protected profession, Thais only

I see this as a ploy to up the amount that can be squeezed from tourists: "You don't want to pay? Off to jail with you" Who fills out the TM 30? 

"You don't want to pay? Off to jail with you"

Trying to ridicule the Thais for that is ridiculous because the same situation for non-payment of fines exists in every other country .

13 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

How about the primary school kids who also don't have a helmet? Or the teenagers also without a helmet.

In another post,

without wanting to be racist, lots of these guys riding around raising hell... doing no small favor to anyone...

In the sandpit, about the only thing they get to do without in some way breaking sharia law is riding in cars with boys.

There used to be some insane video on YT of them racing through highway traffic in Saudi. Could be long gone with all the netnanny BS now.

One guy took a video from inside a car and surprisingly, the guy was an insanely skilled race driver, doing suicidal moves in live traffic.

Another personal fave was the car full of hoons that rolled at high speed, into a panicked impromptu audience, two pax were thrown out the side windows like ragdolls, and a third guys arm chopped clean off. 

Hectic! }:‑)

9 hours ago, petemoss said:

500 baht? My wife was fined 80 baht for not having her licence with her, actually didn't have a licence but told the cop she'd left it at home, cheaper apparently. Reduced to 40 baht for cash.

Your wife didn't pay an B80/B40 fine, she paid a bribe so that she wouldn't have to pay the B1000 official fine.

9 hours ago, legend49 said:

Seems like a competition for Dumb and Dumber; which one can think up the stupidest idea of the month?

Shops renting bikes to tourists could face a fine of up to 2,000 baht for contravening the regulations.  And why do they not a get months jail too?????

They do if they don't pay the fine.  The prison term is not mandatory, see the word "or" in the OP.

9 hours ago, ttrd said:

RE - The Pattaya police are coming down hard on tourists who rent motorcycles without a licence. 

* If they really wanted to solve the problem they should start in the other end and arrest those who rent out to persons without a proper License, but unfortunately it will be less tea-Money and the Money talks … 

Try reading the OP properly..."Rental shops are also on the radar with fines up to 2,000 baht for anyone who rents to tourists who don't show a license". 

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

Yes, 10,000B. impound the bike and make the owners pay 20,000B to get it back, danger is the owners are likely to say the bike was stolen, and anyone foolish enough to leave their passport as security with the owners can kiss it goodbye... 

But should be same for Thai's as well.

It is the same for Thais!

8 hours ago, outsider said:

Kudos for finally doing some enforcement, but it should be applied across the board, not just foreigners, while Thais continue to ride (and drive!) without licenses, helmets etc. 

It is applied across the board, fines for driving without a licence apply to Thais, too.

9 hours ago, katatonic said:

I can also drive 7 tonne trucks without having any extra test, which I did for years as a student job back in the 80's

Not now you can't - well unless you are using it to move house etc. i.e. not for reward. Since September 2014, to drive a 7.5 tonne truck in the UK for a living or any other form of reward you now also have to have a Driver CPC - Certificate of Professional Competence.  That entails taking a five day course. Your CPC lasts for 5 years during which time you either have to continually keep it up to date by sitting 1 day courses or take the entire course again. That applies to both those who were able to drive 7.5 tonnes through 'grandfathered' rights and those who took a test to drive such vehicles. You will also almost certainly need a tachograph card - time moves on.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

It is applied across the board, fines for driving without a licence apply to Thais, too.

I think you are stretching things more than a little to say that law/fine is applied across the board. Yes, it may apply across the board but will it actually be applied equally to everyone - Thai's and foreigners?  Highly doubtfull.

Thai's will still claim they've left their licence at home and pay the 200 baht (or less it seems) fine/bribe - foreigners in the major centres and bike rental businesses are likley to be the only ones paying the new fines.

Jeez, there's been a law requiring crash helmets to be worn for many years and the Thai's ignore it on every street of every town, every day. They ain't going to be worried about any new law requiring them to have a licence because they know how it will actually be dealt with (for them at least).

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Just tourists? How about locals?

Maybe because they don't have to rent the bike since they already own it? This story was about rental companies and tourists. 

10 hours ago, BestB said:

Incorrect one can only drive with his home country license IF there is a direct treaty between his home country and Thailand, otherwise IDP is required.

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

Arguing for the sake of arguing. My original post was about my situation and I’m in Australia. Australia has a treaty with Thailand. 

Archived