Crackdown! Tourists in Pattaya face jail for riding motorcycles without a licence

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

If you are a Thai national you don't need licence .insurance, or lights . It is recommended to annoy others to have a straight through Exhaust ride with more than one a bike and carry your most loved baby . for all others you must be over 18 hold a valid licence or international permit wear a crash helmet at all times (this also does not apply to Thais ) also the police has no laws for themselves only to find ways to get more money from the rich falang 

42 years ago, I had to get a lifetime Thai motorcycle license to be able to ride a bike without plates, insurance, lights, muffler or helmet.    Probably still could up in Loei.  :cheesy:

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Simply put they are such dumbsh$ts…"

Who are and why?  In the OP they are simply quoting the law which states a B1000 fine, same for Thais, or prison.

Read all of the thread and you may better grasp the meaning of the post.

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Thais are prosecuted for the same offence so presumably your logic supports rental vehicles being crushed also?

Why not!  If they don't have a licence, how did they rent!  It's about time the rental companies put safety above the 2-300 baht for a day's motorcycle rental; the same applies to cars.  Crushing seems a bit harsh, I agree, but word will eventually get around, "No Licence, No Rental".  Yes, I know, it won't happen.

22 hours ago, BestB said:

In the mean time , thai are allowed to ride and drive without a license with a 500 baht fine.

such measures needed to be introduced because it is foreigners who are the source of all road fatalities in Thailand????

Not knocking the decision just curious why same law does not apply to locals 

Its the double standard like it is for everything in Thailand.

One way for Thais, another way for the farang.

12 hours ago, wisperone said:

When they say just have a international license, it is for a motorcycle. How many people are actually licensed in their own country to ride a moto. Not many of these tourists.

So why do they think they could drive in Thailand without one?

23 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Pattaya police are coming down hard on tourists who rent motorcycles without a licence. 

They face a month in jail or a one thousand baht fine. 

Rental shops are also on the radar with fines up to 2,000 baht for anyone who rents to tourists who don't show a license. 

This must mean the idea of compulsory health insurance for foreigners can now be scrapped.

As it was ferangs who were all the time skipping hospitals and not paying their bills, this must surely prevent this happening - stop them having accidents!

Whoa, there is a god after all.

The RTP have another scam on the go.  When you are at a traffic light with a right turn filter do not move ahead ready to turn right when the straight ahead light turns to green.  They will be waiting around the corner to stop and fine you Baht 400 for not stopping at a traffic light. This happened at Sukhumvit/Thepraset Rd junction the other day. As per some of the comments above, they stopped farangs but let an offending trike driven by a Thai go straight through without stopping him.

17 minutes ago, maddermax said:

The RTP have another scam on the go.  When you are at a traffic light with a right turn filter do not move ahead ready to turn right when the straight ahead light turns to green.  They will be waiting around the corner to stop and fine you Baht 400 for not stopping at a traffic light. This happened at Sukhumvit/Thepraset Rd junction the other day. As per some of the comments above, they stopped farangs but let an offending trike driven by a Thai go straight through without stopping him.

discrimination is rife here .....but what can one do about it....NOTHING !!

duel pricing goes hand in hand with traffic enforcement here ten years my 10 fines wont have been dished out to thais and I have always had a thai license total discrimination.

At least once a day i have to avoid a crash 9/10 its a thai and uasually on the wrong side of the road.

On a side note was done for been on the wrong side of the rd here on 3 occasions very briefly and being careful done all 3 times 

33 minutes ago, sameasb4 said:

duel pricing goes hand in hand with traffic enforcement here ten years my 10 fines wont have been dished out to thais and I have always had a thai license total discrimination.

At least once a day i have to avoid a crash 9/10 its a thai and uasually on the wrong side of the road.

On a side note was done for been on the wrong side of the rd here on 3 occasions very briefly and being careful done all 3 times 

well  you should have been on the correct side, which here is the left side...or were you becoming a Thai driver???!!!!

34 minutes ago, sameasb4 said:

You should do as I do. Always insist that the wife drives. Thai price, kerching!

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, BestB said:

In the mean time , thai are allowed to ride and drive without a license with a 500 baht fine.

such measures needed to be introduced because it is foreigners who are the source of all road fatalities in Thailand????

Not knocking the decision just curious why same law does not apply to locals 

Thais get hospital care for a minimal cost; tourists do not. Probably caused by too many tourists in hospital that can't pay.

A licence does not mean they won't have an accident, but at least their travel insurance should cover them which it won't if unlicensed. Also means that they have some clue about riding m'bikes, while the unlicenced Richard heads riding do so without a clue.

48 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

How about cracking down on the parents of underage Thai bike riders???

Why is it when the Thai authorities crack down on farangs, some posters always come up with "why don't they...………...on Thais"?

Simple answer, it's their country, and no one said life was fair.

great! finally!

those greedy rental places caused many lost lives of tourists and also locals.

finally practice of renting a motorbike to anyone that can walk and talk will be over.

hope they become successful though as they said the same for Phuket but nothing happened. Of course Phuket Mafia is stronger.

but all those rental places in Pattaya with their invested motorbikes ca be strong if they can come together too. so i hope this is not one of these temporary speech from the police to save the day.

hope the fine is 20 000 THB instead as rental of some big expensive bikes in Pattaya is like 2000 to 3000 baht.

good work! please enforce this hard. no where on earth in any civilized country you can rent a bike without a riding permit.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's no different to Chiang Mai where they do road blocks on the moat road and only stop tourists.

True. But I’ve been pulled over in Chiang Mai maybe 5 or 6 times and handed the BIB my Aussie License with MC endorsement and you can see the disappointment on their face when they see I’m legal. According to this report I now need an IDP as well. I hope all the tourist are warned of this before leaving Aus

13 minutes ago, Crustyhk said:

True. But I’ve been pulled over in Chiang Mai maybe 5 or 6 times and handed the BIB my Aussie License with MC endorsement and you can see the disappointment on their face when they see I’m legal. According to this report I now need an IDP as well. I hope all the tourist are warned of this before leaving Aus

An IDP, far as I've known has always been required in LOS.

I had a Thai driving licence, but still got fined when my wife forgot to renew the registration on HER m'bike! ( I made her pay the fine ???? )

8 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe because they don't have to rent the bike since they already own it? This story was about rental companies and tourists. 

Read the headline again. The word rent is not there, but you will find Tourists, Jail, motorcycle and licence.

Does that include all the Thais who ride without a licence or is it specifically aimed at tourists . One thing is for sure it’s a good way to  encourage tourists to go to a neighbouring country where they will be made more welcome . 

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I think you are stretching things more than a little to say that law/fine is applied across the board. Yes, it may apply across the board but will it actually be applied equally to everyone - Thai's and foreigners?  Highly doubtfull.

Thai's will still claim they've left their licence at home and pay the 200 baht (or less it seems) fine/bribe - foreigners in the major centres and bike rental businesses are likley to be the only ones paying the new fines.

Jeez, there's been a law requiring crash helmets to be worn for many years and the Thai's ignore it on every street of every town, every day. They ain't going to be worried about any new law requiring them to have a licence because they know how it will actually be dealt with (for them at least).

"I think you are stretching things more than a little to say that law/fine is applied across the board".

No, I'm not stretching anything, my comment related to those who claimed that there were different laws and fine levels for foreigners and Thais for the same offences; there aren't.

"...foreigners in the major centres and bike rental businesses are likley to be the only ones paying the new fines".

That is just your speculative opinion.

"Jeez, there's been a law requiring crash helmets to be worn for many years and the Thai's ignore it on every street of every town, every day".

Yes, and many of those Thais that ignore it find themselves on the wrong end of a police stop for that!

"They ain't going to be worried about any new law requiring them to have a licence because they know how it will actually be dealt with (for them at least)".

Sorry, but that's just not accurate, Thais have been stopped and ticketed for not having a licence for years.

Just now, Just Weird said:

"I think you are stretching things more than a little to say that law/fine is applied across the board".

No, I'm not stretching anything, my comment related to those who claimed that there were different laws and fine levels for foreigners and Thais for the same offences; there aren't.

"...foreigners in the major centres and bike rental businesses are likley to be the only ones paying the new fines".

That is just your speculative opinion.

"Jeez, there's been a law requiring crash helmets to be worn for many years and the Thai's ignore it on every street of every town, every day".

Yes, and many of those Thais that ignore it find themselves on the wrong end of a police stop for that!

"They ain't going to be worried about any new law requiring them to have a licence because they know how it will actually be dealt with (for them at least)".

Sorry, but that's just not accurate, Thais have been stopped and ticketed for not having a licence for years.

Utter BS. Fines applied to locals and foreigners are not the same.

There is no law which stipulates exact fine amount.

Again stop trolling 

5 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Read all of the thread and you may better grasp the meaning of the post.

I have but none of the thread expands on who your "dumbshit" allegation relates to, perhaps you just don't have the backbone to justify your comment?

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

Utter BS. Fines applied to locals and foreigners are not the same.

There is no law which stipulates exact fine amount.

Again stop trolling 

Fines are laid down in law, if police have discretion as to the amount applied on an individual case, that is different.   You know very well that what you were claiming originally, that the fine for Thais is B500 while it's B1,000 for foreigners is not correct.

"Again stop trolling".

My stating a fact that you don't like because it correctly contradicts your incorrect assertion is not trolling! 

Deliberately stating an inaccuracy purely in order to have a go at a certain part of society is

Even if I was trolling it sure wouldn't be up to you to repeatedly, and hypocritically, tell me how to post.  If my comments bother you so much just report my posts that disagree with your thoughts, there's a button there for just that.

Archived