More Thais fined for not reporting foreigners at their addresses

Jonathan Fairfield

More Thais fined for not reporting foreigners at their addresses

s6.jpg

Image: Naew Na

Naew Na reported the latest immigration action against Thai nationals who failed to report foreigners residing at their addresses within 24 hours.

It was not specified if they were hotel or guest house owners, landlords or other property owners all of whom need to report foreigners at their addresses. 

In Surat Thani, Anon Sutsai, 23, was fined 8,000 baht. (The fine is usually 1,600 baht per case, notes Thaivisa). 

Immigration in the southern Thai province reminded property owners of the Article 38 law and Article 37 that relates to foreigners themselves reporting every 90 days.

Meanwhile in Petchabun there were four cases of property owners failing to report within 24 hours. 

These occurred in Wichianburi, Sri Thep and Muang district of the north eastern Thai province. Pictures of three females were on the Naew Na site but no names were given. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-10

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Thais can't say they weren't warned. I mean the last five times I did my marriage extension with my missus (who's the owner of our property) immigration didn't say a damn word to her. But she's the exception, right? 

52 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Looks like the band of corrupt crime fighters are trying to increase their business stream even further, whilst actively discourage Thais from allowing foreigners to use their accommodation perhaps.

Think your making good point. I rent condo in bkk. TM30 were previously not required for my extensions. Now are required. I'm pretty much the only farang in building. Its mainly Thai students. I did report as possessor as did not want trouble owner. 

Imposing fines in some cases will lead owners to be no to interested in renting to aliens. 

It would be interesting to know how this TM30, BS, is affecting the Expat population at it relates to their personal travel within Thailand. Technically if you go to visit your in-laws or girlfriends home country, you need to do a TM30, when you visit and when you return.

I have lived in Thailand for almost 20 years on Work Permit and retirement visa's. Personally, this BS, now effects my decision to travel in Thailand. To report my presence at my mother in-laws house, which I built for a 3-7 day visit. It would require dragging my 86 year old mother-in-law on a 2-hour drive to the closest immigration office. Yes, we could have her place registered in the system, but again this is not so easy to do as internet is spotty at best upcountry. Not to mention, I then have to do upon my return. I could just ignore and no one would ever know, but as a honest person, I do not like ignoring even stupid laws.

I am not a cheap Charlie when I travel up there, so it means a loss of income for those places I would frequent. If a high percentage of Expat's reduced their internal travel due to TM 30 requirements, that could cause some local and national economic contractions.

This whole TM 30 crap is a infringement on our freedoms as legal guests in Thailand, to travel within the country we have adopted as our home. Officials say it is required so they can control criminals and terrorism, but I doubt any terrorist or criminal would bother with TM 30 reports. It is meant to control all falangs.

So who does this hurt?

Answer: You, me and the communities in Thailand that we may no longer visit! 

11 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

Technically if you go to visit your in-laws or girlfriends home country, you need to do a TM30, when you visit and when you return.

If you visit your in-laws, the house master of the house there has to report you, you can't report yourself.

They can do it by mail, then they don't have to visit the immigration office.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you visit your in-laws, the house master of the house there has to report you, you can't report yourself.

Correct. 

Note: Chon Buri Immigration only wants me to notify them if I’ve left the country. I tried to register again after a week in Issan and the IO refused to process it

I feel sorry for any farangs unable to comfortably leave Thailand. 

The country has changed too much to be considered the welcoming place it was decades ago. 

I think any smart farang would be planning an exit now. 

Never done a tm30 upon returning to LoS.

Travel back to the old country once a year.

Return to the same address every time with an occasional overnight in BKK at a hotel. 

Go do my 90 day and until now nowt said.

Last 90 day was in May after returning in Feb.

28 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

It would be interesting to know how this TM30, BS, is affecting the Expat population at it relates to their personal travel within Thailand. Technically if you go to visit your in-laws or girlfriends home country, you need to do a TM30, when you visit and when you return.

I have lived in Thailand for almost 20 years on Work Permit and retirement visa's. Personally, this BS, now effects my decision to travel in Thailand. To report my presence at my mother in-laws house, which I built for a 3-7 day visit. It would require dragging my 86 year old mother-in-law on a 2-hour drive to the closest immigration office. Yes, we could have her place registered in the system, but again this is not so easy to do as internet is spotty at best upcountry. Not to mention, I then have to do upon my return. I could just ignore and no one would ever know, but as a honest person, I do not like ignoring even stupid laws.

I am not a cheap Charlie when I travel up there, so it means a loss of income for those places I would frequent. If a high percentage of Expat's reduced their internal travel due to TM 30 requirements, that could cause some local and national economic contractions.

This whole TM 30 crap is a infringement on our freedoms as legal guests in Thailand, to travel within the country we have adopted as our home. Officials say it is required so they can control criminals and terrorism, but I doubt any terrorist or criminal would bother with TM 30 reports. It is meant to control all falangs.

So who does this hurt?

Answer: You, me and the communities in Thailand that we may no longer visit! 

I think Ive traveled all over Thailand in the early days not no more Ive not been anywhere for over 4 years I used to like jumping on the plane to BKK for a couple of days, finished

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Imposing fines in some cases will lead owners to be no to interested in renting to aliens

It's hardly an inconvenience to do is it, when it cost nothing to do and can be done online? Fining them has to be the best way to get them off their lazy <deleted>.

42 minutes ago, jackdd said:

What if the relatives live in a small village and never venture out, By me staying there I am putting them in a position to be in trouble and cop a fine,  I will in future knock back their kind offer of a bed for the night due to the stupid Cronin rules in this country.

I do normally knock back their offer as I prefer a hotel with Aircon but my point still stands!.

8 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Imposing fines in some cases will lead owners to be no to interested in renting to aliens

It's hardly an inconvenience to do is it, when it cost nothing to do and can be done online? Fining them has to be the best way to get them off their lazy <deleted>.

But don't most Thai landlords want to stay below the radar to avoid paying tax on rental income?

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Are you being payed by the government to post here?

Not only its a GREAT inconvenience, especially in the more remote places (even if done online one should first visit the immigration office that may be many miles away to ask for an account), Its a POINTLESS ACT that serves only to further drive away western presence here.

32 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Jomtien imm. dont require a TM30. If I was you, I wouldnt worry about going to mum in laws. Who will Know?  But if it really bothers you, perhaps you could set up the online reporting in mum in laws name and report yourself before you go using your own device. 

14 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

But don't most Thai landlords want to stay below the radar to avoid paying tax on rental income?

Do they pay tax on rentals. I doubt Thai Immigration liaise with Thai Inland Revinue 

3 minutes ago, LongTang said:

Not only its a GREAT inconvenience, especially in the more remote places (even if done online one should first visit the immigration office

Check your facts. I believe an account can be set up online. No need to visit their office.

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Isn't it illegal or at least very unsportsmanlike to check facts on Thai Visa?

Just for you Marc.

Using the link mentioned above. https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Took one calendar month for me to receive the user name and password - registered successfully and confirmed email address successfully. Got to the message saying "registration requires IO approval within seven business days". Just under four weeks later received the email with user name and password. Logged on and changed password successfully.

11 minutes ago, phka said:

So how long can you stay at a thai friends house without them reporting It 1 hour 3 hours 4 hours 6 hours sleep or stay awake 10 minutes 20 minutes 

What which one

The TM30 says: คนต่างด้าวพักอยู่ - where the alien is staying.

I'd assume (dangerous) it's staying as in overnight sleeping, but who knows? If you left at 3am after visiting and having a party, is that staying?

I suppose we could be back to the 'at the discretion of the IO' again?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Do all immigration offices accept reports by mail?

I've read posts when people have been told they won't accept their 90 day report by mail, for example. If push came to shove, don't you need the signed receipt at the bottom of the TM30 to be able to put in your passport?

Archived