More Thais fined for not reporting foreigners at their addresses

Jonathan Fairfield

20 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Using the link mentioned above. https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Took one calendar month for me to receive the user name and password - registered successfully and confirmed email address successfully. Got to the message saying "registration requires IO approval within seven business days". Just under four weeks later received the email with user name and password. Logged on and changed password successfully.

Still great inconvenience, And if one can't wait for one month to receive his username & password?

Even if the registration process was easy(which its not), The only thing this process is good for is to remind everyone that they are living under military control and all their movements are being monitored.

Keep it up Thailand, We all know where you will end..

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

I feel sorry for any farangs unable to comfortably leave Thailand. 

The country has changed too much to be considered the welcoming place it was decades ago. 

I think any smart farang would be planning an exit now. 

Do you foresee an exodus of smart farangs exiting Thailand in the very near future?

1 hour ago, nev said:

What if the relatives live in a small village and never venture out, By me staying there I am putting them in a position to be in trouble and cop a fine,  I will in future knock back their kind offer of a bed for the night due to the stupid Cronin rules in this country.

I do normally knock back their offer as I prefer a hotel with Aircon but my point still stands!.

Juat don't bother reporting in this case. Unless someone grasses you up, how would anyone know your whereabouts? Most Thais have no idea of needing to report their foreign relatives. I usually don't stay at the in-laws place for more than 24 hours, but if we do, I just travel back home afterwards. I won't bother my wife's family with this nonsense, and will pay any fine for them if needed. My wife must already do this report for me every year or I don't get my non-B extension (even though I never left the country). I expect this reporting the be more pedantically enforced in the future. 

2 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

It would be interesting to know how this TM30, BS, is affecting the Expat population at it relates to their personal travel within Thailand. Technically if you go to visit your in-laws or girlfriends home country, you need to do a TM30, when you visit and when you return.

I have lived in Thailand for almost 20 years on Work Permit and retirement visa's. Personally, this BS, now effects my decision to travel in Thailand. To report my presence at my mother in-laws house, which I built for a 3-7 day visit. It would require dragging my 86 year old mother-in-law on a 2-hour drive to the closest immigration office. Yes, we could have her place registered in the system, but again this is not so easy to do as internet is spotty at best upcountry. Not to mention, I then have to do upon my return. I could just ignore and no one would ever know, but as a honest person, I do not like ignoring even stupid laws.

I am not a cheap Charlie when I travel up there, so it means a loss of income for those places I would frequent. If a high percentage of Expat's reduced their internal travel due to TM 30 requirements, that could cause some local and national economic contractions.

This whole TM 30 crap is a infringement on our freedoms as legal guests in Thailand, to travel within the country we have adopted as our home. Officials say it is required so they can control criminals and terrorism, but I doubt any terrorist or criminal would bother with TM 30 reports. It is meant to control all falangs.

So who does this hurt?

Answer: You, me and the communities in Thailand that we may no longer visit! 

Pity it can not be done online or your MIL could not go to the village headman to do the registering.

32 minutes ago, ravip said:

Do you foresee an exodus of smart farangs exiting Thailand in the very near future?

Not sure. I know or a good many who left during the last few years. These were guys with good professional jobs (THB 200K - 500K per month with one guy a very senior bank exec who was probably on 1mm+ Baht/month).

I know others, especially younger guys, who are planning to leave with their families. 

Most enjoyed living in Thailand (unlike me). But between poor schooling choices, lack of generally positive direction of the country and, for some, uncertainty about work, they go elsewhere (Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, Europe, America). 

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's hardly an inconvenience to do is it, when it cost nothing to do and can be done online? Fining them has to be the best way to get them off their lazy <deleted>.

That's a fair point, providing landlords are actually aware of the law being enforced in the first place. An announcement is made and everyone concerned is automatically expected to know. Same problem as with visa changes. 

Just did renewal of visa extension and before they would give us a number, the immigration officer advised need to show them a copy of the receipt of notification from the home owner where I live to prove they notified immigration as per the regulation.

am lucky, as my wife is the home owner, so was able to get into another line for other section and my wife did the report. The officer was very nice and advised that this has been the regulation for a long time but that just started to enforce.

He advised to be certain to keep a copy for ourselves, as before immigration will allow any extension, the applicant will also need to show this to the immigration officer.

Although he was very nice and didn’t charge any fine this time, but advise my wife need to be sure she does the report in the future if I leave the country and come back in. 

Once had this and showed to the officer they then issued a number for extending.

as my wife is the only, All pretty simple for me, but wonder if May be a whole lot more difficult for others that may be renting. As that means they would need to go back to their landlord and ask for a copy of the notice before they can extend?

Trump is a good man with good ideas for the wall, however, Thais really have the immigration figured out well and more effective than a wall by imposing penalties such as the OP. Mandatory health insurance, large Visa deposits 800/400K, mandatory 90 day reports, random "good guys" refused entry, drawing diagrams with crayons immigration cannot follow,  and consistently inconsistent enforcement of nebulous uninterpretable immigration laws.  Based on the TVF posts/discussions etc, I hope Trump will appreciate how effective Thailands immigration policies really are. So effective, some people are leaving in a panic or committing suicide as noted but TVF postings.  

6 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Trying to get the locals to obey the law has as much chance as me looking like David Beckham ????

There have been, there will be changes, my word! 

But not much of them are going to be all-time expat favourites.

Even the usual 'whaddya gotsa problem with?' gloaters here will have to swallow one rule too many, and soon.

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I feel sorry for any farangs unable to comfortably leave Thailand. 

The country has changed too much to be considered the welcoming place it was decades ago. 

I think any smart farang would be planning an exit now. 

I think you will find many are, bound for Vietnam and Cambodia where it's less hostile!

6 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Never done a tm30 upon returning to LoS.

Travel back to the old country once a year.

Return to the same address every time with an occasional overnight in BKK at a hotel. 

Go do my 90 day and until now nowt said.

Last 90 day was in May after returning in Feb.

Do let us know when they do eventually flip to the back page of your passport, look up at you with that gotcha grin, and make the finger thumb gesture of show-me-the-money. ????

Even if you decide to volunteer their oversight, unlikely to win an 'honesty' star.

TiT and it's the law regardless of how you've managed it thus far, tick-tock. ????

Not having a go mate, I'm just saying it's inevitable. I got caught out and fined this year first time ever. I think its BS.

6 hours ago, LongTang said:

Each day this place smells more and more like North-Korea.. ????

There is an Asian country where any criticism of the government can lead to arrest and detention, where its citizens are brainwashed from birth to worship the leader and any negative comments can be reported by any citizen against another and be punished with a long period in prison, where tv every night shows the good leader helping his citizens enjoy a better life, a country where his picture adorns every public building and is in every home, and defacing any such pictures can lead to a lengthy jail sentence, a country where news is censored and internet sites blocked, and people can be sentenced to prison for speaking the truth. North Korea. Its resemblance to any other Asian nation is purely coincidental.

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I've stayed overnight in quiet a few Ladies houses technically should they do a report? that would be funny all the bar girls lining up to do a TM 30

Yeh still don't bother with it if I'm away in a private dwelling. It's just that if the last local hotel or your latest fly in date flashes up on their system while you're there for other reasons they've gotcha.

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Well Thais can't say they weren't warned. I mean the last five times I did my marriage extension with my missus (who's the owner of our property) immigration didn't say a damn word to her. But she's the exception, right? 

Maybe it was because you were there to do your extension.. rather than about what type of property she owns?

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you visit your in-laws, the house master of the house there has to report you, you can't report yourself.

They can do it by mail, then they don't have to visit the immigration office.

FYI, I’ve completed the TM30 without my wife every time in the last year. Just passport and house book.

2 minutes ago, Chazar said:

I  know for  a  fact a lot of  Thais and foreigners are  getting pretty damn sick and  tired of this CRAP especially ones coming in and out weekly.

What are you talking about - the 5 min online report as to location of the nefarious Farang? 

6 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Correct. 

Note: Chon Buri Immigration only wants me to notify them if I’ve left the country. I tried to register again after a week in Issan and the IO refused to process it

Report them for breaking their own rules!!

6 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Never done a tm30 upon returning to LoS.

Travel back to the old country once a year.

Return to the same address every time with an occasional overnight in BKK at a hotel. 

Go do my 90 day and until now nowt said.

Last 90 day was in May after returning in Feb.

would be helpful if you posted which  immigration office

33 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe it was because you were there to do your extension.. rather than about what type of property she owns?

No one said anything about what kind of property she owns. Read properly. 

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Google it.

Oh yeah..... Wifes  been waiting 6  weeks  now for her  password...........friend went in and was told they were inundated and couldnt cope at Chaeng wattana so they just havent  bothered, they want all applicants to come in to get a  password

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Check your facts. I believe an account can be set up online. No need to visit their office.

Check yours, you need a  password and  good  luck trying to get one of  those now in BKK

2 hours ago, CWMcMurray said:

Just did renewal of visa extension and before they would give us a number, the immigration officer advised need to show them a copy of the receipt of notification from the home owner where I live to prove they notified immigration as per the regulation.

am lucky, as my wife is the home owner, so was able to get into another line for other section and my wife did the report. The officer was very nice and advised that this has been the regulation for a long time but that just started to enforce.

He advised to be certain to keep a copy for ourselves, as before immigration will allow any extension, the applicant will also need to show this to the immigration officer.

Although he was very nice and didn’t charge any fine this time, but advise my wife need to be sure she does the report in the future if I leave the country and come back in. 

Once had this and showed to the officer they then issued a number for extending.

as my wife is the only, All pretty simple for me, but wonder if May be a whole lot more difficult for others that may be renting. As that means they would need to go back to their landlord and ask for a copy of the notice before they can extend?

Again WHICH  immigration office?

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What are you talking about - the 5 min online report as to location of the nefarious Farang? 

Nope the trying to get a  password out of chaeng wattana to do it online, theyve admitted  to my wife they cant cope with the demand so have just  stopped issuing them or at best are doing just a  few, they want you to physically go in and get a password from them now  and being as she deals with hundreds of  room rentals and foreign customers she knows whats  going on, Japanese really dont like this crap when they are in and out often 2-3  times a  week.

Archived