Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

webfact

Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

10pm.jpg

Quote: "All police jurisdictions must work justly with all concerned parties to ensure safety on the roads and to limit damage that might occur" Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda, chief of the Royal Thai Police.

It is often said in Thailand that one of the most foolish things anyone can do on the streets is to assume that Zebra Crossings are safe.

Most people with any experience of Thailand will know that few cars - if any - stop for pedestrians waiting hopefully by the black and white lines. 

Drivers are meant to stop according to the law but police rarely do anything unless perhaps there is an accident.

182138065.jpg

File photo

This has led many to suggest that zebra crossings are more dangerous than taking your life into your hands and crossing elsewhere.

Now the Thai police are trying to rectify this situation. Spokesman Krissana Pattanacharoen said that the police intended to work to ensure the safety of zebra crossings in Thailand especially those situated by schools, temples, hospitals, important buildings, business areas and tourist locations.

INN reported that it was all part of wider measures to follow through on comments made by Royal Thai Police chief General Chakthip Chaijinda about promoting road safety. Those comments are in the caption of our picture today.

The media said that the police would be working with many interested parties to promote safety for all on the roads. 

The police would work on surveys with the Interior Ministry, the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority (BMA), the Education Ministry, the Public Health Ministry, the Communications Ministry and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports. 

Krissana said everyone has to pull together on this matter to improve the safety situation especially in observing correct speed limits. 

Thaivisa notes that the Thai roads have an annual death toll of around 25,000 people that ranks in the top two of per capita fatalities of any country on earth. 

That being said Pol Col Krissana then made a comment that will resonate with many people regarding the danger of Thai roads. 

"It's all about enforcement," he said. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-10

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, webfact said:

"It's all about enforcement," he said. 

Yes, it is all about enforcement, which makes it even more puzzling why there is absolutely zero of it to be seen on our roads.

We hear lots and lots of hot air announcements, but the actual enforcement of any of the road laws never actually happens, which explains why the fatality numbers remain so high. Pedestrian crossings and red light runners would be two very good places to start, both of which are undoubtedly the cause of numerous deaths every day.

Yes sure.

I remember the truck driver killing the two tourists in Bangkok. a few years back.

When they had the silly red flags you were supposed to wave at on coming traffic, signaling to the drivers to stop and let people cross the road.

This will be the same.

No one will care, because deep down Thailand does not care. 

All just more Hot Air.  

Good it's about time pedestrians were prioritized over motorbikes and cars. However zebra crossing are only put there to look good in the worlds eye. They have never meant anything especially to make the cars stop. If I have to cross the road I never use a zebra crossing.

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that the Thai roads have an annual death toll of around 25,000 people that ranks in the top two of per capita fatalities of any country on earth. 

And what percentage of those are killed on Zebra crossings? Better to enforce helmets and sobriety.

There's a hierarchy even on the roads and pavements. People in cars don't stop for people who walk because people who walk are at the bottom. As for the pavements, I've had people ride their motorcycle behind me and then honk for me to move out of the way. When you stop and give them the stare, they look at you like you're off your nut. 

My missus is a great driver and she's very courteous. I was driving along a clear soi with no pavement and there was someone walking. I slowed down and gave the person a wide berth as I drove past them. My missus was dumbfounded as to why I drove like this. The concept that this person might suddenly just walk out into the middle of the road or fall over didn't exist with her.

When you're taught to drive where I come from, you're taught to be extremely aware of the pedestrians around you. 

55 minutes ago, intherealworld said:

Yes sure.

I remember the truck driver killing the two tourists in Bangkok. a few years back.

When they had the silly red flags you were supposed to wave at on coming traffic, signaling to the drivers to stop and let people cross the road.

This will be the same.

No one will care, because deep down Thailand does not care. 

All just more Hot Air.  

A horrendous day

remember it well my friend was the ops manager for the tour company they were traveling  with

I was his opposite number in the rival company.

Well this is interesting for the police to say. 

The zebra/pedestrian crossings should be monitored by police.

Also better sign posted and marked,

I try to drive safely and always try to stop for pedestrians.

However, sometimes the crossings are hard to see with the paint hardly visible and they are not signposted like in other countries.

Australia has lit signs over the crossing and extra lighting at night time and it make them very visible.

The police highway patrol, Line application, has many photo's showing a smiling policeman and smiling pedestrians crossing the road, but I never see anyone fined, arrested or admonished for not stopping at a crossing.

24 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Anyone stopping at a zebra crossing runs the huge risk of the fool behind careering into the back of you and you into the pedestrians and everything your fault???? 

I stopped - stopping at zebra crossings years ago when I realised nobody else was going to stop and all you were doing was endangering the "pedestrians" 

Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police.

Seriously?!  Even if they made them bridges or tunnels pedestrians would still be in danger from road users taking a short cut!  Motorists here consider red stop lights as purely advisory!

35 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Everyone has to pull together, especially observing correct speed limits.:cheesy:????????️‍♀️

Well he certainly is living in LA-LA land, never gonna happen.

Perhaps it would be necessary to start by drastically reducing the speed in the city as it has existed for ages in Europe;
most European city centers are limited to 30 km / h ( 20 miles in England ), when the use of a motorized vehicle is permitted.
Many European city centers are totally forbidden to motor vehicles

For the moment, in Thailand, speed is limited to 80 km / h for sedans, pickups and motorcycles;
so much to send the pedestrians directly to the mortuary;
When we see, in Pattaya, for example, the pedestrian crossings at traffic lights that 90% of motorists do not know ... it will be necessary to put a pack of uncorrupted cops at the foot of these traffic lights and tens of thousands of existing pedestrian passages in Thailand.

As we all know, in CA hitting a pedestrian in a crosswalk or even jaywalking can result in financial ruin, or at least great financial distress. That's what it takes, but by keeping half the population in total poverty, there are all these people who are effectively judgement-proof.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

We hear lots and lots of hot air announcements, but the actual enforcement of any of the road laws never actually happens,

Thai officialdom doing its part to add to Global Warming.  The ice caps will melt well before traffic laws are enforced in Thailand.

Archived