Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

webfact

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, it is all about enforcement, which makes it even more puzzling why there is absolutely zero of it to be seen on our roads.

We hear lots and lots of hot air announcements, but the actual enforcement of any of the road laws never actually happens, which explains why the fatality numbers remain so high. Pedestrian crossings and red light runners would be two very good places to start, both of which are undoubtedly the cause of numerous deaths every day.

Which news would you likely believe?

A) Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

B) 10 Kg gold nugget dug out at Bangkok's Lumpini park, and handed over to the authorities by honest cabby

our-daily-dose_zpsasqtwtpm.png

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO zebra crossings are dangerous because pedestrians, particularly tourists, PERCEIVE them to be safe. I would like to see the traffic light phasing altered at junctions, especially in Pattaya , because there doesnt seem to be any time when all traffic stops, allowing people to cross. Thepprasit road junction with Thappraya road just one example.

ROFLMAO!  One of the funniest is the crossing on the north side of Sukhumvit Road near the junction with Soi 3.  Pedestrians crossing there are truly lulled into a false sense of security as this crossing appears to be controlled by traffic signals.  When the pedestrian light turns to green the pedestrians all start to cross the road, but the traffic heading west on Sukhumvit does not stop because there is no red light for vehicles!  YCMIU.

Thailand. Such a boring, repetitive place. 

These clowns have been vowing to improve for decades. 

And in 10, 20, 30 years, they'll be saying the exact same things, long after most of us have ascended to heaven. 

???? 

7 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Which news would you likely believe?

A) Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

B) 10 Kg gold nugget dug out at Bangkok's Lumpini park, and handed over to the authorities by honest cabby

our-daily-dose_zpsasqtwtpm.png

If I MUST choose, I'll choose B! 

34 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

That won't do anything.

There's a 50km/h limit in the town I live and I see pickups at 80km/h+ daily, passing schools and busy intersections with no regard for safety. 

They ain't bothered because the punishment is not severe enough. 

They need to start locking people up that they catch and effectively stop them from driving in future, permanently if necessary.

Otherwise, it will continue.

But they have been saying this for 31 years I have been there and it continues to get worse.

They don't have the tools (intellect, capability), or the will.

29 minutes ago, geisha said:

Cameras on every crossing/ lights. Speed cameras on the roads, heavy fines. Surely the heavy fines would please the authorities?

The main issue is one of a faulty culture. 

Thai culture prevents solutions that work outside of Thailand from working in Thailand. 

For example, when it is time to fine or jail someone who has broken a traffic law, the first 'code' the Thais will look to is NOT law. 

It will be the unwritten Thai codes of "who is more important". If the offender is sufficiently important, the law will fail. 

Thais will make no meaningful progress at anything until they reevaluate their culture and themselves. 

Alas, they have been trained from birth to lack any ability to introspect. 

Any person who doesnt wear a crash helmet or wear a seat belt will usually only cause themselves greater injury, so its there prerogative. Any other offences (speeding, jumping red lights etc) which potentially can cause injury or death to  other people should receive greater enforcement.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Quote"All police jurisdictions must work justly with all concerned parties to ensure safety on the roads and to limit damage that might occur" Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda, chief of the Royal Thai Police.

I will guess here: If I was hit by a motor vehicle within the Zebra Stripes, I can use the above quote (source: Thai Visa Forum) to use against the offender at the Police station?  And the case will be settled in my favor, yes? 

1 hour ago, glennb6 said:

might be that showing to enforce a fixed spot (stripped) is easier than other more effective forms of enforcement....

re zebra stripes, as a motorcy rider, when that 'paint' or whatever the stripes are painted with - when it's wet it is more slippery than the asphalt or concrete. Try stopping quickly or turning on wet zebra strips.... f'n govt brains at work.

You really should be stopped before you reach the painted lines and why would you be turning on them?  to zigzag around the pedestrians?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

That being said Pol Col Krissana then made a comment that will resonate with many people regarding the danger of Thai roads. 

"It's all about enforcement," he said. 

Oh good, they've identified the problem.....but as usual, nothing will ever be fixed, and no laws will ever be enforced, just more hot air being expelled by a mouth breather.

4 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Zebra Crossings = Target Zones

..agreed..how about pedestrian 'boom gates' ..oh but then again they would drive around them...i hope Thai drivers come to appreciate the importance of these places..mind you very few have signs on posts or signals to indicate a crosswalk.

All zebra crossings should be wiped out from Thailand's roads. They are a major health hazard. They are totally misleading - because they are meaningless.

Foreigners (tourists) who come here and see a zebra crossing  naturally assume the pedestrian has right of way (which is the whole point and purpose of a zebra crossing). In Thailand, pedestrians have ZERO rights.

I will never forget, many years ago, a Thai policeman running out of his box as I walked across a zebra crossing, scolding me as there were cars approaching quite some distance off. He meant that I was in the wrong. I tried to tell him that pedestrians have the right of way - but I might just as well have been speaking to a brick wall (which probably would have understood traffic law much better!).

There is a story (possibly apocryphal) that the origin of zebra crossings in Thailand is the following: some bigwig Thai went to the West and saw these pretty lines on Western roads and thought they would look nice in Thailand. So they were introduced here. But neither then nor now does any Thai understand what their point and purpose is!

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, it is all about enforcement, which makes it even more puzzling why there is absolutely zero of it to be seen on our roads.

We hear lots and lots of hot air announcements, but the actual enforcement of any of the road laws never actually happens, which explains why the fatality numbers remain so high. Pedestrian crossings and red light runners would be two very good places to start, both of which are undoubtedly the cause of numerous deaths every day.

This, coupled with a massive reduction of Thais' 'me first' mentality. Honestly, as people, they are generally a warm and courteous bunch. I really cannot understand how they transform into monsters the moment they drive a car or ride a motorcycle.

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

There's a hierarchy even on the roads and pavements. People in cars don't stop for people who walk because people who walk are at the bottom. As for the pavements, I've had people ride their motorcycle behind me and then honk for me to move out of the way. When you stop and give them the stare, they look at you like you're off your nut. 

My missus is a great driver and she's very courteous. I was driving along a clear soi with no pavement and there was someone walking. I slowed down and gave the person a wide berth as I drove past them. My missus was dumbfounded as to why I drove like this. The concept that this person might suddenly just walk out into the middle of the road or fall over didn't exist with her.

When you're taught to drive where I come from, you're taught to be extremely aware of the pedestrians around you. 

if they don't stop for me i give them a good whack on the hood of their car point to the stripes and tell them that they are an idiot.  they are usually quite shocked by this.  but they need to learn.

They made this change in Moscow - it took 3 days.  Basically if someone did not stop on a zebra crossing you could text their number plate (no photo required) and they would automatically get a USD150 fine.  It would seem more fair if a photo was required...but Moscow changed in hours... I would welcome such an extreme approach here too as many people are hurt and motorists dont care.  I went through the process for the Thai driving licence - they showed a video that talked much about not honking the car horn and other etiquette but did not make one single mention about zebra crossings.  Please - copy Moscow and make it safe for kids, the old and the rest of us. 

54 minutes ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Car is king here. 

Pedestrians are second class citizens. 

It’s a mindset. It won’t change unless people are educated to change their mindset. 

and so smog is also king here.  no respect for those of use who believe in walking, living a healthy life style while lowering the C02. Thais have no idea.  they would go to the toilet on their motorcycles if the could fit them through the doors of the lu.

Things will only change when lawyers are hired

to sue careless drivers who hurt and maim pedestrians.

When that day comes and word gets around that you will lose your license, your car, or your motorbike for hitting a pedestrian , maybe it will become safer to cross busy roads on foot.

How is it possible to place Thai drivers and observe correct speed limits in the same sentence ?

To most Thai drivers, a Zebra Crossing for pedestrians is an annoyance, that has been placed there to stop them speeding.

And if you stop at a Zebra, be sure to use your Hazard Lights when Braking prior to stopping, or be prepared to be rear-ended by a Thai loony with their "Me first , Im No 1 attitude "

3 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

Well this is interesting for the police to say. 

The zebra/pedestrian crossings should be monitored by police.

Also better sign posted and marked,

I try to drive safely and always try to stop for pedestrians.

However, sometimes the crossings are hard to see with the paint hardly visible and they are not signposted like in other countries.

Australia has lit signs over the crossing and extra lighting at night time and it make them very visible.

The police highway patrol, Line application, has many photo's showing a smiling policeman and smiling pedestrians crossing the road, but I never see anyone fined, arrested or admonished for not stopping at a crossing.

That doesn't help.

I once had a policeman direct me across a zebra crossing on Asoke. On the way over I was hit by a motorbike, but received only small grazes. The cop didn't do anything and the motorbike carried on.

555. Safe for who? Motorists ?

Why don't they start with the zebra crossings at the lights on the intersection of Sukhumvit Soi 3 & 4 Nana, Bangkok where the police look out from their aircon Police box & are 

too lazy to move or call when the red light is run hundreds of times a day.

Nothing will change with law enforcement until the PM is changed.

They will never will work for him willingly & he does not have the intestinal fortitude

to make them change

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The light close to me near airport rail link station huamak about a week ago I watched about 30 cars run the red light while the police stand right there in the intersection of the. 

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

There's a hierarchy even on the roads and pavements. People in cars don't stop for people who walk because people who walk are at the bottom. As for the pavements, I've had people ride their motorcycle behind me and then honk for me to move out of the way. When you stop and give them the stare, they look at you like you're off your nut. 

My missus is a great driver and she's very courteous. I was driving along a clear soi with no pavement and there was someone walking. I slowed down and gave the person a wide berth as I drove past them. My missus was dumbfounded as to why I drove like this. The concept that this person might suddenly just walk out into the middle of the road or fall over didn't exist with her.

When you're taught to drive where I come from, you're taught to be extremely aware of the pedestrians around you. 

That's true,like when passing parked cars always assume a door might open, I picked that up during my cycling days,many an almost over the handle bars trip when a door suddenly flies open in front of you.

Archived