Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

webfact

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

But they have been saying this for 31 years I have been there and it continues to get worse.

They don't have the tools (intellect, capability), or the will.

I think they've realised that you can't teach stupid.

Yep!...All cross walks now will finally be safe for the public to use without risk of death.  Excellent.  See how easy that was.  Next, mandatory helmets, sobriety, and obeying traffic laws.  Anyone guess how long that will take? 

It's all about enforcement.

Yes, but who is going to enforce that the enforcers do their job?

Also, why do traffic police only make checkpoints and never actually patrol the roads?

Everybody knows where the checkpoints are. And the checkpoints don't catch speeders or reckless drivers. And they rarely stop cars for anything.

I don't see any change in the foreseeable future.

I stopped my car for pedestrians many times.

One time I got hit from behind by a motorbike.

Another time a motorbike got so surprised by my stopping that it lost control and collided with another motorbike.

I'm veeery careful about stopping for pedestrians now. Basically I start slowing down line 50 meters before 

A thai friend just failed her driver's license test.. I asked her when she was going to take the test again.

Her answer.. "I will buy license next week... 5000 baht". In the meantime, she is still driving a car daily!!!

Maybe that is part of the problem.

It's a good thing that airport safety is at international standards, unlike the roads, otherwise there would no tourists arriving. Why can't the Thais use international standards and common sense on the roads with safety, regulations and enforcement??

And one rule of law for Thais and farangs alike.. Zebra and pedestrian crossings world-wide are for pedestrians to be able to safely cross roads, not as an inconvenience to traffic using the road as in Thailand.. Regulations and rules need to be enforced by the RTP with zero tolerance.. Many Western countries have reduced their road toll by 50% over the past 10 years, but Thailand is still happy to rank as no. 1 or 2 worldwide for the most road deaths per capita.. Wish someone would have the balls to push for change, as unpopular as it may be.. 

2 hours ago, potless said:

there doesnt seem to be any time when all traffic stops, allowing people to cross. Thepprasit road junction with Thappraya road just one example

Absolutely agree with you there. That must be about the worst intersection for pedestrians I’ve seen outside of Vietnam. As the last car goes through the light that’s just changed to red the motorbikes on the other road are already at maximum acceleration, and there’s no time gap at all for pedestrians. How the elderly and Russians with small children manage is a mystery to me. 

If every owner of the thousands of condos in the area could be levied a few thousand baht there’d be plenty of money to construct a pedestrian bridge there. As one of the owners, I’d be more than happy to pay.

Getting back to zebra crossings, motorbikes are the thing to watch for. It’s so easy to calculate that you have sufficient time to cross before approaching cars, only to forget that there might be a motorbike speeding through the gap between cars. Johng’s video has a couple of examples.

So why they put the zebra crossing there if it not mean anything, not for the drivers, not for the police. And how is the mind of people thinking that I am in a car and have the right to drive what ever is in front of me.

Without to start with explaining the rules of traffic and thinking about others, this will come to nothing. Sorry to say, but thais minds have not even brake through walking on the correct side of the street yet.

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

Thailand should adopt American civil liability laws and then import some US personal injury trial lawyers. That would bring a stop to the situation, pronto.

Very doubtful. Where would the money come from? The average Somchai doesn't have any.

3 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Car is king here. 

Pedestrians are second class citizens. 

It’s a mindset. It won’t change unless people are educated to change their mindset. 

And the chances of that are??

When I first came to Thailand I stupidly stopped at a stop sign and was nearly flattened by the car behind me. Never made that mistake again.
Point being no one will stop because they know the person behind them wont stop even if they do. Re-education will take a long time even if they are serious about a little bit of road safety.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

It is often said in Thailand that one of the most foolish things anyone can do on the streets is to assume that Zebra Crossings are safe.

Nope! The most foolish thing is to belive that there is a safe zone or a safe thing to do anyware in the country.

Archived