Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

webfact

4 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Car is king here. 

Pedestrians are second class citizens. 

It’s a mindset. It won’t change unless people are educated to change their mindset. 

Pedestrians should start carrying these around and distribute them near the zebra crossings to even the playing field:)
adf5bc29f4e5433c677f3b48598d3758.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall the sad case of a young couple a few years ago who came out to Thailand from the UK on their honeymoon. On their first day they went sightseeing the area of the Grand Palace and both were knocked down and killed on a zebra crossing.

Zebra crossings in Pattaya were a waste of paint, I was at the one near Kiss food and drink on 2nd road and a policeman on a motorbike didn't even stop, they used to have the button you push to get the green man sign to come on but they appear to have removed them

Try even using the Alleged Pedestrian Crossings at BIG C Hang Dong.

Drivers apparently think People on the Crossings are there for them to treat like Ten-Pins in a Bowling Alley.

what some moronic motorists fail to comprehend is, the moment THEY step out of their vehicle, they too are Pedestrians !

9 hours ago, webfact said:

All police jurisdictions must work justly

Well, there's the first idiotic thing he's said, and that's the very first line! I most certainly amn't going to read any further. What he is suggesting was implemented, and has been strictly enforced/abided by for DECADES in many, many countries around the world. Why are they constantly playing "catch up"?

3 minutes ago, nickstav said:

The most foolish thing is assuming they'll stop when the light is red.

The most foolish thing is believing any Thai driver will follow any road rules whatsoever, in fact, you should assume they will not follow any of them.

30 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

if the police are serious about this issue, then one could say it's never too late. at any case, the priority should be given to the pedestrians because they are the most vulnerable

Absolutely nothing will be done, but it made for good grandstanding, should help with the next promotion or raise.

7 hours ago, TeaMonkey said:

The only thing that will make Thailands roads safer are the next generation cars with artificial intelligence that can drive themselves. Won't help with the idiots on motorcycles though.

Why? You don't think AI can operate a motorcycle?

1 hour ago, cheapcanuck said:

Should be free for all, like it is in Vietnam.

I would take my chances in Vietnam. At least they look out for the most part and will not hit you if you walk so they can anticipate you. They seem to have somewhat more respect for human life than Thailand.

1 hour ago, wisperone said:

I would take my chances in Vietnam. At least they look out for the most part and will not hit you if you walk so they can anticipate you. They seem to have somewhat more respect for human life than Thailand.

Yes none of them drink drive or anything so your guaranteed they miss you

snap out of it !

Sorry I do not believe in fairytales.
When all cars are on autopilot and no Thais are behind the wheels, then it will be safe. Maybe in a 100 years. 

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, it is all about enforcement, which makes it even more puzzling why there is absolutely zero of it to be seen on our roads.

We hear lots and lots of hot air announcements, but the actual enforcement of any of the road laws never actually happens, which explains why the fatality numbers remain so high. Pedestrian crossings and red light runners would be two very good places to start, both of which are undoubtedly the cause of numerous deaths every day.

What eludes me is the fact that they (the Plods) spout the brilliant CCTV cameras and systems that are in place, especially in Pattaya, and they can virtually see someone lift an arse cheek and fart. 

But the 10s of thousands of offenders especially on Beach road, Second road, go un apprehended.

Recently footage was shown on TV and you could see thousands of people especially bikes whizzing around, with no helmets, not stopping at the crossings.

The BIB only need to put the phone down and stop playing Candy Crush, and can effectively book people straight from the screens in the control room..

Very hard to take anything they say with a serious bit of credibility..

12 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Install those bear claw spikes or tire puncture devices before the zebra crossing... after a few blowouts maybe the zebra crossings will be safe.  until then... deadly zone

You would think so,wouldn't you?

However on my little village road one slab of concrete had subsided quite alarmingly.Every morning I would see Thai students describe graceful parabolic arcs thru the air as their snoopy's hit the lip..

As they were exactly the same students travelling this road everyday I could only conclude that 24 hours was a hell of a long time in the Thai brain and that "extinction" had occurred in the meantime..

I went to pay the ransom on my confiscated driving licence yesterday.  (My crime - trickling one metre over a line at one kilometre an hour.)  Pattaya Cop shop was full to overflowing.  I waited an hour & watched the OneStop Counter in action.  It was a NonStop Mint!  Two officers were collecting money (at a conservative 400 baht a head) = about 10,000 baht an hour.

No wonder the stick-ups at the roadside are so popular - it's a huge moneymaker.  I even got stopped at the Ambassador Hotel bandit point (for no reason) en route to pay & was able to smugly wave my fine paper instead of my licence.  

Welcome to Thailand.

Thais know Zebra crossings offer no more safe place to cross than anywhere else. It is the farang idea that they should be safer that causes all the problems. Same with most road related stuff.

Most Thais don't use pedestrian bridges and they are much safer.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Most people with any experience of Thailand will know that few cars - if any - stop for pedestrians waiting hopefully by the black and white lines. 

Drivers are meant to stop according to the law but police rarely do anything unless perhaps there is an accident.

Most cars? Car drivers are somewhat considerate at crossings, at least in Chiang Mai. The motorbike operators are reckless, deadly, and as of about February, contemptuous -- they are above the law, and they know it.

Regardless of motor vehicle in question, traffic police in Chiang Mai will not touch any motor vehicle operator... even if said operator is committing an egregious, reckless, possibly deadly infraction right in front of them. Zebra crossing? I've seen police stopped at a crosswalk watching motor bike drivers speed across the zebra lines, while pedestrians are crossing the street.

20 hours ago, rkidlad said:

There's a hierarchy even on the roads and pavements. People in cars don't stop for people who walk because people who walk are at the bottom. As for the pavements, I've had people ride their motorcycle behind me and then honk for me to move out of the way. When you stop and give them the stare, they look at you like you're off your nut. 

My missus is a great driver and she's very courteous. I was driving along a clear soi with no pavement and there was someone walking. I slowed down and gave the person a wide berth as I drove past them. My missus was dumbfounded as to why I drove like this. The concept that this person might suddenly just walk out into the middle of the road or fall over didn't exist with her.

When you're taught to drive where I come from, you're taught to be extremely aware of the pedestrians around you. 

Thai society are deeply ingrained in their social structure. Those at a lower hierarchy are supposed to watch out for those higher up thus the lack of consideration for pedestrians especially on the zebra crossings. Human lives at a personal level are never a consideration for them. Unless and until strict enforcement to instill the loss of human lives and social responsibility thru inconsiderate driving be carried out, it will be what it is as usual. 

Archived