Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

webfact

21 hours ago, johng said:

They are lethal !!!!!

what a dumb ass that red truck driver is at the end of the video. he could have just rear ended the car in front or veared to the right but he drove in the direction of the pedestrians. what a <deleted>

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tyrant said:

I personally would love to see the sidewalks go back to the pedestrians, start prohibiting the shops to take over them. 

I would like to see them not used as a driving lane for motorcycles. Every time I see one coming at me on a sidewalk or crosswalk, I make sure to call them an idiot I'Kwai, still waiting for one of these idiots to step off their bike and confront me, it will be Epic!

16 hours ago, Miami007 said:

A thai friend just failed her driver's license test.. I asked her when she was going to take the test again.

Her answer.. "I will buy license next week... 5000 baht". In the meantime, she is still driving a car daily!!!

Maybe that is part of the problem.

She won't be driving any better when she get the plastic card

21 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

I do a lot of walking in Chiang Mai and have noticed more motorists are yielding at crosswalks.

That is when they are at their most dangerous. See the video. When some cars stop you think it is safe and when you are half way over a motorcyclist comes steaming through at full speed.

7 hours ago, madmen said:
8 hours ago, wisperone said:

I would take my chances in Vietnam. At least they look out for the most part and will not hit you if you walk so they can anticipate you. They seem to have somewhat more respect for human life than Thailand.

Yes none of them drink drive or anything so your guaranteed they miss you

snap out of it !

I've crossed many streets in Vietnam from Saigon to Hanoi, and many places in between. You never take yours eyes off oncoming traffic when crossing...your life may depend on it. And you pick your time to cross according to the flow.  They are much more aware than drivers in Thailand who drive like they are brain dead. Not sure where in the world drunk drivers are guaranteed to miss you, but believe what you will. 

23 hours ago, intherealworld said:

Yes sure.

I remember the truck driver killing the two tourists in Bangkok. a few years back.

When they had the silly red flags you were supposed to wave at on coming traffic, signaling to the drivers to stop and let people cross the road.

This will be the same.

No one will care, because deep down Thailand does not care. 

All just more Hot Air.  

I suggest that they have a barrier come down like on railway crossing.

41 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I suggest that they have a barrier come down like on railway crossing.

I don't know how practical that would be, but yes why not.

But would love to see the CCTV footage of the selfish motor bike riders,  trapped in the middle with the pedestrians,

could you imagine it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock1:

5 hours ago, Scott3000 said:

Most cars? Car drivers are somewhat considerate at crossings, at least in Chiang Mai. The motorbike operators are reckless, deadly, and as of about February, contemptuous -- they are above the law, and they know it.

Regardless of motor vehicle in question, traffic police in Chiang Mai will not touch any motor vehicle operator... even if said operator is committing an egregious, reckless, possibly deadly infraction right in front of them. Zebra crossing? I've seen police stopped at a crosswalk watching motor bike drivers speed across the zebra lines, while pedestrians are crossing the street.

Evan when the light is on green to cross over. Have a barrier to come down. 

19 hours ago, dallen52 said:

What eludes me is the fact that they (the Plods) spout the brilliant CCTV cameras and systems that are in place, especially in Pattaya, and they can virtually see someone lift an arse cheek and fart. 

But the 10s of thousands of offenders especially on Beach road, Second road, go un apprehended.

Recently footage was shown on TV and you could see thousands of people especially bikes whizzing around, with no helmets, not stopping at the crossings.

The BIB only need to put the phone down and stop playing Candy Crush, and can effectively book people straight from the screens in the control room..

Very hard to take anything they say with a serious bit of credibility..

The bib won't do anything motorcycle taxies go through the red lights in front of the cops nothing happens almost got hit by one last night on beach rd hollered at him that he had a red light and that he was a m f idiot he kept going

Short of building road over-walks to obsolete every zebra crossing in the country, how are they going to make this happen? That video, except for the last out-of-control truck, illustrates how NOT use zebra crossings:

1) Assuming MV traffic will observe the crossing rights

2) Assuming the MV traffic is capable of stopping

3) Running in a zebra crossing

4) Not walking defensively in a zebra crossing

5) Generally, pedestrians trying to get MV to stop or avoid you.

53 minutes ago, jabis said:

If there isn't a Somchai with a whistle, it ain't safe...

Saved by a whistle?! I don't think so and certainly wouldn't bet life or limb on it.

My assumption is that there isn't a safe condition on or near any Thai road that has a Thai or farang traveling on it with any vehicle.

20 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Saved by a whistle?! I don't think so and certainly wouldn't bet life or limb on it.

My assumption is that there isn't a safe condition on or near any Thai road that has a Thai or farang traveling on it with any vehicle.

Seems my sarcasm didn't sink on you x)

On 7/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, Fred white said:

The bib won't do anything motorcycle taxies go through the red lights in front of the cops nothing happens almost got hit by one last night on beach rd hollered at him that he had a red light and that he was a m f idiot he kept going

The bike taxis are on the books.

Monthly payment. 

Seen the boys physically collecting and the little note book gets a tick.

Same the gold shops.

Although I'm pretty certain that the gold shops payments are to ensure they don't get done over by the BiB.

When you have been here at street level a few years,  its amazing how entrenched the corruption is.

Even seen street vendors hauled away by a department that must be like "Fair trading".

In other words you need to pay for the pitch, or you will be removed physically and fined...

On 7/11/2019 at 7:26 AM, Lenny Jones said:

"Enforcement" - 555555 !

THIS is about the only "enforcement that will make it safe at pedestrian crossings - high security automatic bollards!

Bollards.jpg

It will take more than that to stop the motorbikes as well as other MVs.

Archived