Keeping number when out of Thailand for long time

Briggsy

I have had the same DTAC number for over a decade. I will be out of Thailand for a long time, maybe 2 years. 

Any ideas for keeping the number? 

I thought of giving the sim card and some money to a friend in Thailand and they could extend the validity every 90 days and send a random text. Any better ideas?

• Like 1

I haven't done it with dtac but with other carriers the vouchers you get at convenience stores are valid for something like 2 years, so you can just pick up a few of the cheap ones and top up as and when. Works for my Malaysian SIM. FWIW I don't think you need to do it every 3 months - I was out of Thailand for something like 9 months and my dtac number was still active when I got back.

The first step would be to max out the expiry before you leave. Just do up to twelve 10-baht top-ups at a Boon Term machine, with the 2 baht fee that would be 144 baht, 120 baht credit, 365 days expiry.

Enable International roaming.

Install DTAC Call (WiFi Calling). SIM will work as if in Thailand, on WiFi. (IR does not need to be enabled if using DTAC Call.)  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling&hl=en

Install the DTAC app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.crie.tron2.android&hl=en

Then buy additional expiry with the JaiDee Day Giveaway USSD codes listed above, or through the app, or through the web-page. 24 baht is enough to buy the remaining 1 year of expiry remotely.  http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/jai-dee.html#Jd-day-giveaway

You can send the odd SMS, account query (*101*9# SEND), even call to maintain account activity. SMSes and call charges, using DTAC CAll, are the same as if you were in Thailand, so ~ 1 baht ea, or/min.

Obviously make sure this number is on file with any services (banks, for example) you may require.

You can always ask someone back in Thailand to make monthly 10 baht top-ups for you; I maintain a dozen or SIMs for friends and colleagues making monthly top-ups in one go at the local machine.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

After two years all your mates will have given up on the old number anyway.

all my mates are Bangkok Bank, SCB, Aetna Insurance, Thai Immigration, Bumrungrad Hospital, Kerry Express and most importantly Tangmo #87 from Crazy House. It would be a real pain to lose my number.

49 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The first step would be to max out the expiry before you leave. Just do up to twelve 10-baht top-ups at a Boon Term machine, with the 2 baht fee that would be 144 baht, 120 baht credit, 365 days expiry.

Enable International roaming.

Install DTAC Call (WiFi Calling). SIM will work as if in Thailand, on WiFi. (IR does not need to be enabled if using DTAC Call.)  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling&hl=en

Install the DTAC app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.crie.tron2.android&hl=en

Then buy additional expiry with the JaiDee Day Giveaway USSD codes listed above, or through the app, or through the web-page. 24 baht is enough to buy the remaining 1 year of expiry remotely.  http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/jai-dee.html#Jd-day-giveaway

You can send the odd SMS, account query (*101*9# SEND), even call to maintain account activity. SMSes and call charges, using DTAC CAll, are the same as if you were in Thailand, so ~ 1 baht ea, or/min.

Obviously make sure this number is on file with any services (banks, for example) you may require.

You can always ask someone back in Thailand to make monthly 10 baht top-ups for you; I maintain a dozen or SIMs for friends and colleagues making monthly top-ups in one go at the local machine.

Sorry, but what is the point of such a long winded  and complicated way around it?

Why would he need to use a Boonterm machine at all, when it is easier to simply tap in the USSD code?

Since he's had the number for ten years, he can simply tap in the codes in my post to take it up to a year. No need to scrape together coins.

Then whilst abroad he can tap the codes in as and when. No need to install DTAC Call or any other application and certainly no need to ask anyone to top up for him.

He can keeping tapping in the codes for years to come, until he runs out of credit. That's why I suggested 100 baht. That will allow him to keep extending for four years.

11 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Sorry, but what is the point of such a long winded  and complicated way around it?

Offering multiple options, not just for the OP, but for others who might come looking. Surely that's OK? Why would this bother you?

Perhaps the OPs' phone does not support the frequencies in the target countries? Perhaps there is no romaing partner coverage in the intended location?

Personally I find DTAC Call quite handy when traveling outside Thailand.

Details on using the web interface to buy additional expiry...

Edited by mtls2005

9 hours ago, JamJar said:

Solution is simple. make sure that the SIM is activated for Roaming. Activate International Service service via *118# and then hitting the Dial key.

Make sure you have at least 100 baht of credit.

Then tap in whichever code suits;

• Press : *113*30*9# for 30 days extension. ... 2 baht
  • Press : *113*60*9# for 60 days extension. ... 4 baht
  • Press : *113*90*9# for 90 days extension. ...  6 baht
  • Press : *113*180*9# for 180 days extension. 12 baht

You will only get up to one year in advance. But you can just tap in the six month code after every six month period.

You can do the same thing via their browser interface; https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/login

Roaming will need to be activated, as it will send you a one time password each time you want to sign in.

Press : *113*30*9#27.png.e17aa21732211e80ac68f64074d271b0.png for 30 days extension. ... 2 baht

Press : *113*60*9#27.png.e17aa21732211e80ac68f64074d271b0.png for 60 days extension. ... 4 baht

Press : *113*90*9#27.png.e17aa21732211e80ac68f64074d271b0.png for 90 days extension. ...  6 baht

Press : *113*180*9#27.png.e17aa21732211e80ac68f64074d271b0.png for 180 days extension. 12 baht

Just to make it clear that you have to press the Dial key to apply the code.

You can do the same thing with Truemove H SIM, as long as you have spent 200 baht or more or had it active for at least ninety days;

47.png.362497599b8345c2c5fac5ff9a4044dd.png

Unfortunately, AIS does not offer a similar service.

9 hours ago, JamJar said:

Solution is simple. make sure that the SIM is activated for Roaming. Activate International Service service via *118# and then hitting the Dial key.

Make sure you have at least 100 baht of credit.

Then tap in whichever code suits;

• Press : *113*30*9# for 30 days extension. ... 2 baht
  • Press : *113*60*9# for 60 days extension. ... 4 baht
  • Press : *113*90*9# for 90 days extension. ...  6 baht
  • Press : *113*180*9# for 180 days extension. 12 baht

You will only get up to one year in advance. But you can just tap in the six month code after every six month period.

You can do the same thing via their browser interface; https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/login

Roaming will need to be activated, as it will send you a one time password each time you want to sign in.

I keep an AIS sim alive for my kids, is there a similar solution for AIS prepaid??? Now I top up at 1,000 thb per year, which they won't use other than a few hundred thb for data roaming when here...

I top up my AIS by using kasikorn online banking.. 

Any calls made while roaming would have a charge.. So easy to add some spend some every few months. 

Having has my AIS number for decades now, I think its always got a years validity. 

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Offering multiple options, not just for the OP, but for others who might come looking. Surely that's OK? Why would this bother you?

Perhaps the OPs' phone does not support the frequencies in the target countries? Perhaps there is no romaing partner coverage in the intended location?

Personally I find DTAC Call quite handy when traveling outside Thailand.

Details on using the web interface to buy additional expiry...

Yes, it bothers me. Because it is long winded and overly complicated and doesn't make any sense.

There is absolutely no reason for using a Boonterm machine in the first instance. Because if he is using a Boontern machine, he is in Thailand. If he is in Thailand, why should he use a Boonterm machine instead of tapping in the codes?

No point in quoting a thread where the OP didn't bother to activate Roaming in the first place.

6 minutes ago, jumbo said:

I keep an AIS sim alive for my kids, is there a similar solution for AIS prepaid??? Now I top up at 1,000 thb per year, which they won't use other than a few hundred thb for data roaming when here...

Unfortunately, the only way for AIS is to do top ups or by purchasing a bundle.

10 + 2 baht top ups at the machines outside 7-11 and Family Mart. 30 days for each top up. 

Alternatively if you have Thai bank account, you can do 20 baht top ups via your bank. 30 days per top up.

You can buy also buy validity with your existing credit by buying a package of 30 minutes of call valid for 5 days, together with 30 days of validity for 30 baht. *777*30#27.png.37af45e6577e0a1ac148be7173b10a1a.png

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Had my Thai phone number nearly 10 years.

I've got my number since 17 years and hope that I'll keep it a few more years. 

OP, as somebody had already mentioned, you can top it up online. If I were you, I'd go to DTAC and explain to them what you want.

There should be a very easy solution. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

As another poster mentioned, just setup a direct debit for your monthly DTAC billing.

I've been doing this for quite a few years now, and have never had any problems. It doesn't matter that there's no activity (calls/texts) on the account for an extended period of time. As long as you're paying the bill, the number will remain active.