BANGKOK 22 July 2019 04:02
Briggsy

Keeping number when out of Thailand for long time

I have had the same DTAC number for over a decade. I will be out of Thailand for a long time, maybe 2 years. 

Any ideas for keeping the number? 

I thought of giving the sim card and some money to a friend in Thailand and they could extend the validity every 90 days and send a random text. Any better ideas?

• Like 1

Transfer your own contact's details to a PC?

People tend to change their phone numbers as often as they do their underwear. I know it is a pain but. After two years all your mates will have given up on the old number anyway. 

Get a new phone and number when you get back? 

• Like 2

I haven't done it with dtac but with other carriers the vouchers you get at convenience stores are valid for something like 2 years, so you can just pick up a few of the cheap ones and top up as and when. Works for my Malaysian SIM. FWIW I don't think you need to do it every 3 months - I was out of Thailand for something like 9 months and my dtac number was still active when I got back.

@VocalNeal

Yeah, probably the best idea.

@mackayae

n/a PAYG

@Percy Penguin

I think a year of non-use would see the number hibernated if not recalled.

Not sure how I would top up from abroad with the vouchers but I am sure it could be done.

Do they have an app you can use and possibly top up through?  Or top up using a local bank account if available.

There are also codes for extending validity of credit if you have a current balance.

Posted (edited)

The first step would be to max out the expiry before you leave. Just do up to twelve 10-baht top-ups at a Boon Term machine, with the 2 baht fee that would be 144 baht, 120 baht credit, 365 days expiry.

Enable International roaming.

Install DTAC Call (WiFi Calling). SIM will work as if in Thailand, on WiFi. (IR does not need to be enabled if using DTAC Call.)  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling&hl=en

Install the DTAC app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.crie.tron2.android&hl=en

Then buy additional expiry with the JaiDee Day Giveaway USSD codes listed above, or through the app, or through the web-page. 24 baht is enough to buy the remaining 1 year of expiry remotely.  http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/jai-dee.html#Jd-day-giveaway

You can send the odd SMS, account query (*101*9# SEND), even call to maintain account activity. SMSes and call charges, using DTAC CAll, are the same as if you were in Thailand, so ~ 1 baht ea, or/min.

Obviously make sure this number is on file with any services (banks, for example) you may require.

You can always ask someone back in Thailand to make monthly 10 baht top-ups for you; I maintain a dozen or SIMs for friends and colleagues making monthly top-ups in one go at the local machine.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

You can do it online without needing roaming. You can extend up to 360 days with thaiprepaidcard dot com

"People tend to change their phone numbers as often as they do their underwear."

I doubt that very much.....

PS.....most of the people I meet are also fairly clean smelling.

• Like 2

recharge.com   most accounts want a little money every month.  I keep numbers alive for years using it. 

31 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Enable International roaming.

*118*9# SEND

Turn mobile data off  *104*72*9# SEND

Configure DTAC CALL to use dtac call and NOT the SIM.

True used to have an option to “park” your number for a fee, I think it was up to 2 years.

i suggest you call dtac and ask.

19 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

After two years all your mates will have given up on the old number anyway.

all my mates are Bangkok Bank, SCB, Aetna Insurance, Thai Immigration, Bumrungrad Hospital, Kerry Express and most importantly Tangmo #87 from Crazy House. It would be a real pain to lose my number.