Keeping number when out of Thailand for long time

Briggsy

If you have a Thai bank account go online. Mine (SCB) has a Top-Up button for all the Thai providers. With Dtac your validity is extended for 12 months from last top-up, so just add 50 baht credit to your Dtac account just before it expires and there you have it, another 12 month extension and the 50 Baht is credited in your account, no fee or charges.

• Like 1

I had the same DTAC postpaid number/contract for probably close to 20 years. After leaving Thailand at the end of 2017 I kept paying the monthly bills online. However almost exactly one year later my number was disconnected. No reason, no warning given, no chance to get it reconnected.

Oh well, it's just a phone number, should I ever return to live in Thailand I will get a new one...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, khunano said:

I had the same DTAC postpaid number/contract for probably close to 20 years. After leaving Thailand at the end of 2017 I kept paying the monthly bills online. However almost exactly one year later my number was disconnected. No reason, no warning given, no chance to get it reconnected.

Oh well, it's just a phone number, should I ever return to live in Thailand I will get a new one...

It won't happen with my method. As when you put the SIM in a phone to tap in the code, it will show that the SIM is active.

Perhaps you didn't connect to the network during that time or there was another reason, linked to it being postpaid.

16 hours ago, JamJar said:

It won't happen with my method. As when you put the SIM in a phone to tap in the code, it will show that the SIM is active.

Perhaps you didn't connect to the network during that time or there was another reason, linked to it being postpaid.

That's right, I stopped using the phone though I believe I still received some SMS on that number...

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 8:05 AM, mtls2005 said:

Install DTAC Call (WiFi Calling). SIM will work as if in Thailand, on WiFi. (IR does not need to be enabled if using DTAC Call.)

I haven't left Thailand yet. I installed DTAC call. But now nothing works. My number doesn't ring on my phone and it doesn't ring on my DTAC call. Nothing works. I deleted the account on the DTAC call but it still doesn't work. How do I get my number back? I am still here for 2 weeks. My phone number is invaluable for banking etc. Help.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I haven't left Thailand yet. I installed DTAC call. But now nothing works. My number doesn't ring on my phone and it doesn't ring on my DTAC call. Nothing works. I deleted the account on the DTAC call but it still doesn't work. How do I get my number back? I am still here for 2 weeks. My phone number is invaluable for banking etc. Help.

You should have listened to me....

I guess all you can do is to call DTAC on 1678 or take yourself to a DTAC service centre.

Edited by JamJar

4 hours ago, JamJar said:

You should have listened to me....

I guess all you can do is to call DTAC on 1678 or take yourself to a DTAC service centre.

Eventually I got my phone working again. I am scared to try that DTAC call again. Yes maybe you are right. I will go with your idea when I go in a week or so. Where is @mtls2005, your technological rival? Is he in hiding?

I will certainly report back to this thread when I arrive in the UK and start testing everything.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. It is all very much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Eventually I got my phone working again. I am scared to try that DTAC call again. Yes maybe you are right. I will go with your idea when I go in a week or so. Where is @mtls2005, your technological rival? Is he in hiding?

I will certainly report back to this thread when I arrive in the UK and start testing everything.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. It is all very much appreciated.

There's no rivalry. If I get something wrong, I would hope someone would correct me, as the most important thing is to impart the correct information.

You don't need to wait until you go. You can tap in the codes right now to max it to up to 365 days and just make sure that Roaming is enabled before you leave. No need for data to be switched in order to send and receive SMS. 

You can disable data by applying *104*72*9# and then pressing the Dial key. To re-enable; *104*71*9# and then the Dial key.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/happynumber.html

*118*9# to switch Roaming on.

*118*2*9# to switch it off.

*118*3*9# to check the status of Roaming(whether enabled or not).

• 5 months later...

Update from me the OP again.

I have been in the UK for 4 months now. I have previously been able to check my DTAC balance and validity (loads of balance and validity) but now it looks like my roaming has been turned off so I can't check my balance from the UK. I messaged a friend in Thailand and got her to add 20 Baht to my number to see if that would reactivate the roaming to see the balance but I still can't see the balance. 

Any ideas or have I lost the number through lack of use?

I could even post my sim to a friend in Thailand and have them use it every now and then as a last resort. I may be visiting Thailand again in a few months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 8:05 AM, mtls2005 said:

You can always ask someone back in Thailand to make monthly 10 baht top-ups for you; I maintain a dozen or SIMs for friends and colleagues making monthly top-ups in one go at the local machine.

Great business idea. Now I understand why your avatar is Donald Trump ????

• 1 year later...

This is easy.

Your prepaid SIM validity is maximum 365 days.

If it is still valid you can extend the validity with 30/90/180 days.

(I think the price for extending is in the area of 3-7 baht for every 30 days.)

Turn on the phone wherever you are in the world. (I do this from my Telenor network in Norway. Telenor is the majority owner of DTac, so I cant guarantee that this works all over the world)

call: *113*180# (the 180 is for 180 days extention)

To check the validity of your SIM you call: *101*9#

If you run out of credit to pay for the extention you must log in to MyDtac on dtac.co.th.

(you must have your phone on to recieve the login code on SMS.)

There you can Top Up your SIM using a credit card.