Foreign tourist cries foul over ‘fine’ for riding on expressway in Bangkok

snoop1130

Foreign tourist cries foul over ‘fine’ for riding on expressway in Bangkok

By The Nation

800_233540dede72a93.jpg

A foreign tourist who drove his motorcycle on an expressway was fined Bt1,000, prompting him to cry foul of what he believed to be a rip off by Thai cops.

The incident took place early May but just caught attention of Thai Facebook users, who started to share the Instagram post of Nicklas Aittamaa, whose Instagram account is nicklasaitt.

Aittamaa, who has 8,428 followers on his Instagram page, posted on May 7: “Some popo action entering Bangkok, I guess they are just jealous of my rad bike... Cost me a 1000Baht to skip the police station

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372708

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-10

Thats not an excessive fine, 1000 baht doesn't seem excessive for this.

Its widely known that Motorcycles are not permitted on the express ways, also signs.

How did he get on the Expressway? you have to pass a toll booth. 

With all of that said - its about time 'big bikes' are permitted on the Expressway, but I'm not sure 'Thailand' is mature enough for that. 

By 'big bikes' I mean 600cc and up, something which can comfortably keep up with traffic traveling at 120-150kmh (yes I know the limit is 120kmh) -

I have a 300cc BWM, it can go 120kmh - but its not comfortable much faster than that, thus IMO is not suitable for an expressway. 

Of course, the issue here in Thailand is that if only 600cc + bikes are permitted on the expressways, any bike would end up using it. No one would (does) follow the law and it would be too difficult for the Tollway staff to differentiate, its not their job to differentiate - the end result would be the migration of the normal road chaos onto the expressways.

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Aittamaa, who has 8,428 followers on his Instagram page, posted on May 7: “Some popo action entering Bangkok, I guess they are just jealous of my rad bike... Cost me a 1000Baht to skip the police station

You break the law, it doesn´t matter what bike you have. Just pay up. You made the stupid mistake.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not really, I have made the same mistake. They call it express way already before the booths show up, and that can sometimes be all from 1-2 km. However, I realised my mistake and drove into a service area, and politely asked the highway police how to get off. They even had a "back door" for people like me, so I could get back on the highway again. That was when exiting Bangkok on the way to Bang Na/Trat.

some "foreign tourist" have really a problem in reading. There are signs everywhere, no motorbikes on "express or motorways", even the inner lanes of the "Highway Of Death", Bang- Na- Trad, is off limit to any bikes. So what's the story. 

I got a Bt1,000 cash fine for changing lanes too fast even though I didn't change lanes and there were no other vehicles at any of the toll booths. Best price was Bt400 with a receipt and a trip back to the police station but Bt1,000 cash for instant service. The RTP are the best money can buy.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its widely known that Motorcycles are not permitted on the express ways, also signs.

With all of that said - its about time 'big bikes' are permitted on the Expressway, but I'm not sure 'Thailand' is mature enough for that. 

By 'big bikes' I mean 600cc and up, something which can comfortably keep up with traffic traveling at 120-150kmh (yes I know the limit is 120kmh) -

I have a 300cc BWM, it can go 120kmh - but its not comfortable much faster than that, thus IMO is not suitable for an expressway. 

Of course, the issue here in Thailand is that if only 600cc + bikes are permitted on the expressways, any bike would end up using it. No one would (does) follow the law and it would be too difficult for the Tollway staff to differentiate, its not their job to differentiate - the end result would be the migration of the normal road chaos onto the expressways.

It'd be easier to differentiate if they used a different color plate on the big bikes, say 500cc+. Also, a good idea to require an upgraded motorcycle license to operate a big bike.  

1 hour ago, visarunner said:

some "foreign tourist" have really a problem in reading. There are signs everywhere, no motorbikes on "express or motorways", even the inner lanes of the "Highway Of Death", Bang- Na- Trad, is off limit to any bikes. So what's the story. 

What in the world are you going on about. Including me in your comment. I didn´t complain so it´s nothing going on with me. I realized my mistake and corrected it by actually having the guts to confront the police with it, who smiled and were happy to help me on my way.

The express way Bang Na/Trad is off limit to bikes. Not the highway, which was what I was pointed in the direction to by the highway police.

After that, you should not just go out and call who ever you want a "foreign tourist". I have been living in Thailand over 20 years. I guess the story is that you are very unpolite, and do not at all think about what you write. Also check your facts regarding the differens of an express way and a highway next time.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don't say that you will put another 1000 onto the bike death toll. Thais don't indicate or know much about driving and this = death for bikers.

8 hours ago, wisperone said:

Nice piece of journalism. Guess they don't feel it is important to enlighten the reader as to what the law is and if it was illegal.

That's a very grey area and is left open to individual interpretation at the time, depending on the officer and which way the wind is blowing !

I got 1000 thb fine when after red light i went stright and cop stopped my car and said i drove in to bus line. They were standing opposite cross road waiting to happen. And most cars were doing same thing. 

Is it THE Italian who's at a hotel in Malta before? Bambino. Popo. 

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Don't say that you will put another 1000 onto the bike death toll. Thais don't indicate or know much about driving and this = death for bikers.

Thais use their indicators, but always at the wrong time, showing the wrong direction. Does your wife know the difference between left and right? 

On 7/11/2019 at 2:11 AM, richard_smith237 said:

what you have is an overpriced bmw branded moped

????

Archived