British ambassador to Washington quits after spat over leaked memos

snoop1130

4 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Darroch blew it. The whole purpose of a diplomat is to try and achieve your agenda without offending ANYONE !

He should have done it the Trump way .. and report that" many people say, many many people say : ……..tremendously clumsy and inept… ever in History…...blahblahblah"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

As the spat between the two close allies intensified, Trump said he would no longer deal with the “very stupid” Darroch and called May “foolish”.

are we talking about the same Trump that visited the UK last month and didn't stop praising TM and the good job she has been doing

in such a short period of time Trump managed to destroy 100's+ years old alliances (France, UK, Germany, etc.) ... but looking on the good side he did managed to find a couple new allies / best friends (Kim Jong Un, Vlad)

My goodness what a terrible place the UK has become. No shame at all. Fawning all over the ignorant, vulgar, boor Trump. My god when will this nation get a backbone and stop sticking its tongue into the backside of whomever is residing in the White House.

Having voted for Trump, it is easily conceivable that the Americans will vote for Dumbo the Elephant as President...it won't be too nice having your tongue in its bottom.

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

My goodness what a terrible place the UK has become. No shame at all. Fawning all over the ignorant, vulgar, boor Trump. My god when will this nation get a backbone and stop sticking its tongue into the backside of whomever is residing in the White House.

Having voted for Trump, it is easily conceivable that the Americans will vote for Dumbo the Elephant as President...it won't be too nice having your tongue in its bottom.

I'm just having my dinner !!!!!!!

Do stop going on about tongues in <deleted>

13 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

in such a short period of time Trump managed to destroy 100's+ years old alliances (France, UK, Germany, etc.) ... but looking on the good side he did managed to find a couple new allies / best friends (Kim Jong Un, Vlad)

I doubt very much that Kim Jong/Putin consider Trump to be their ally/friend.  More likely, they look at Trump as a "useful idiot." 

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I doubt very much that Kim Jong/Putin consider Trump to be their ally/friend.  More likely, they look at Trump as a "useful idiot." 

In the case of Putin Trump is quite clearly an asset.

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

And the new guy that takes over his job, can only say nice and agreeable things about Trump , in both public and private and he will have to give false info to the UK Government and not to do his job properly .

Quite funny that he stated that Trump was insecure and then Trump acted insecure and got him fired 

He had to resign once Trump excluded him. He made it impossible for him to do his job.  Pathetic little man not fit to lick the boots of the Ambassador.

If I fault Darroch on this issue, it is that his comments were too restrained. He undoubtedly underestimated the unbridled madness within the Trump White House. That said, Darroch himself appears to be a particularly unpleasant sort of fellow. At least according to this guy who is also a former British diplomat. Might be that Darroch and Trump have a lot in common???  

Kim Darroch is a rude and aggressive person, who is not pleasant at all to his subordinates. He rose to prominence within the FCO under New Labour at a time when right wing, pro-Israel foreign policy views and support for the Iraq War were important assets to career progress, as was the adoption of a strange “laddish” culture led from No. 10 by Alastair Campbell, involving swearing, football shirts and pretending to be working class (Darroch was privately educated). Macho management was suddenly the thing.      https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/07/kim-darroch-the-simple-explanation/

Well, there is one secret message about Trump licked. If someone would know all secret consular messages about Trump, 98% would be the same. Unfit for president, greatest danger for world peace, unpredictable, unreliable, limited ability to grasp complex situations, vindictive, megalomaniacal and often lies.

5 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Darroch blew it. The whole purpose of a diplomat is to try and achieve your agenda without offending ANYONE !

I beg to differ, his job is to advise his Government his opinions regarding the people, policies and political environment of his stewardship and then to carry out his instructions from his Government. 

This is what he was doing but some person broke their trust and disclosed his opinion which was given in confidence. 

THAT person needs to be hunted down and tried for spying, espionage. 

3 minutes ago, rosst said:

I beg to differ, his job is to advise his Government his opinions regarding the people, policies and political environment of his stewardship and then to carry out his instructions from his Government. 

This is what he was doing but some person broke their trust and disclosed his opinion which was given in confidence. 

THAT person needs to be hunted down and tried for spying, espionage. 

Absolutely correct. Well said!

Sad as this episode is, it could have serious fallout.  If this childish and very undiplomatic public spatting continues it would not be surprising to see the Orange One float the idea that if people don't stop calling him names the stupendous, exciting trade deal he's promised (what's left of) the UK post Brexit may be reconsidered, postponed or just dumped.  Whether or not he'd actually follow through on a threat of that nature may not matter, but the mere mention would send markets and in particular the GBP into serious decline for who knows how long.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

He had to resign once Trump excluded him. He made it impossible for him to do his job.  Pathetic little man not fit to lick the boots of the Ambassador.

No, he only resigned because he didnt get assurances that he wouldnt be fired .

Had the elect PM given him assurances that he would keep hos job, he wouldnt have resigned 

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, he only resigned because he didnt get assurances that he wouldnt be fired .

Had the elect PM given him assurances that he would keep hos job, he wouldnt have resigned 

That has been said and Johnson failing to support him was certainly relevant (apparently he decided to resign after watching the Johnson/Hunt debate) but I think the comments from the former Ambassador were spot on.  He said that once Trump excluded him it was impossible for him to do his job and so he had no choice but to resign.  Certainly Johnson sold him down the river but I think that that was just the final straw that helped him make his mind up.

I have no idea how UK can respond without looking weak or pandering to the orange buffoons ego. Excluding their Ambassador to London forcing him to resign might even the score a bit, as would being slower than normal if something kicks off in Iran.

Both are extremely un-British but as yet I cannot think of a better alternative.

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I have no idea how UK can respond without looking weak or pandering to the orange buffoons ego. Excluding their Ambassador to London forcing him to resign might even the score a bit, as would being slower than normal if something kicks off in Iran.

Both are extremely un-British but as yet I cannot think of a better alternative.

The UK should send Sadiki Khan to be the new Ambassador 

29 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I think that May should use this as her final shot and appoint a new Ambassador before she goes.  If Johnson does it he will send a Trump a*se licker.

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think that May should use this as her final shot and appoint a new Ambassador before she goes.  If Johnson does it he will send a Trump a*se licker.

Her final shot to cause problems and mayhem like she has with the EU negotiations. You are either anti British or should not be in politics, other than being a staunch remainer with that suggestion.

25 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Her final shot to cause problems and mayhem like she has with the EU negotiations. You are either anti British or should not be in politics, other than being a staunch remainer with that suggestion.

What on earth has my comments on May picking the new Ambassador to Washington got to do with being a remainer or not?  As for being anti-British, I am defending the British Ambassador and his role against the pathetic creep in the White House.  The Creep that has openly attacked Britain, the Prime Minister and the British Diplomatic Service.  The Creep that is interfering in our political operation.  The Creep who is as anti-British as you can get.  

Get real!

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I thought May's comments in Parliament where spot on.

Comments made by the Ambassador are not for public viewing & Trump needs to take a LONGGGGG look at himself ,,the comments sum Trump up very well,, he is a goose

Even a goose has feelings and geese don't like you making fun of them.  

Darroch did nothing wrong. In fact if he didn't come to the conclusion that he did, and if he didn't communicate that correct opinion in a confidential way back to his government which he did, THAT would have been wrong.

But these are the times we are living in. 

The British ambassador was right about Trump

BRITISH AMBASSADOR Sir Kim Darroch, a seasoned professional who is highly respected in Washington, was embarrassed last weekend by the leak of some of his tough-but-fair assessments of President Trump and his administration in private cables to London. Any other White House would have overlooked the ambassador’s undiplomatic language rather than damage relations with a close U.S. ally. But not Mr. Trump, who has turned a minor kerfuffle into a major diplomatic incident by launching a series of crude attacks on Mr. Darroch that, on Wednesday, forced him to resign.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/the-british-ambassador-was-right-about-trump/2019/07/10/4707930e-a327-11e9-bd56-eac6bb02d01d_story.html

Kim Darroch isn’t the undiplomatic one

British Ambassador Kim Darroch’s private comments about President Trump were not shocking for those in Washington. The overall opinion among much of the diplomatic elite here is that the U.S. president is “inept” and “insecure,” as Darroch wrote. Trump’s secretary of state once even reportedly dubbed the president a “moron.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/07/11/kim-darroch-isnt-one-who-acted-undiplomatically/

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I didn't say that.....I said Trump managed to make 2 new BF, does he's doing liking them I didn't say and never will that was reciprocal..... in order words the minister from NK (after Trump said he like Kim) said something similar to ...""with friends like that who needs enemies"" since he claims to be our friend why does he keep pushing for more sanctions

The Ambassadors position was probably made impossible after the Orange one threw his toys out of the pram over the emails .. It wasnt helped by Johnson refusing to say if he would keep Darroch in Washington as and when he was made leader in the recent debate with opponent Jeremy Hunt .. who said he would keep Sir Kim in the U S if he were made leader .. 
Trump himself has responded utterly predictably with the usual infantile tweets and the withdrawal of the invitation to a banquet the other night .. Most unbecoming and fully underlining what the Ambassador hinted at in the Emails .. Trump is a tool .. 

So the Eton Buffon promising sovereignty throws his own Ambassador under the buss because he is a puppet of the Orange Buffon. Getting our country back or what!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Darroch did nothing wrong. In fact if he didn't come to the conclusion that he did, and if he didn't communicate that correct opinion in a confidential way back to his government which he did, THAT would have been wrong.

Is the British government that ill informed that they need an ambassador to tell them Trump is wacky?  Aw come on.  I live in Thailand and I know it and I know his government is a house full of fruitcakes.  

Archived